Falcons owner Arthur Blank in trouble for Fuzzy Zoeller like racial comment

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by nunusguy, Dec 11, 2007.

1. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

When Tony Kornheiser posed the question of Vick returning to the Falcons, Blank referred to many things which could factor into this decision. One of those being the amount of fried chicken Vick eats in jail:
    http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/TheSportingBlog/123557
    I'm listening to Jim Rome this morning and he's busy fielding calls about
    Blank's x-QB Vick.
    Of course Jim Rome, being Jewish-American as Blank is, is very defensive about this unfortunate remark that his buddy Blank made about fried chicken/Vick in the MNF interview last night.
    Look for a formal apology from Blank and/or ESPN as Blank is already in big trouble with the huge ATL African-American population/Falcon fan-base.

2. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Give me a break.

If he said something derogatory about British people or Caucasians then nobody would care.

The PC police are killing this country.

It was a bad joke from an old rich guy.

Revolution and rollinstone18 like this.
  3. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I don't think he had any racist intent, but come on Blank, for a guy with as much money as you, you have to know that saying something like that is going to get u in hot water, even if you are talking about a felon.

4. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Generally i would agree here but you're wrong... see Kanye West implying that dubya is a racist when he said "george bush doesn't care about black people.." during the Katrina debacle.

Mike Meyers was like :yikes: :embarrass

5. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Yea but Mike Myers is Canadian & he probably doesnt have to listen to Kanye West's BS all the time.

6. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I doubt that Blank's comment were racial (atleast conciously), but it is surprising that a man as smart as Arthur Blank would be so careless in his remarks on MNF about this very, very controversial subject involving Vick and the fans of the city of ATL.
    Blank after all is the founder of Home Depost and is probably worth billions and has been regarded as a brilliant man in advertiser & PR.
    In this day & age of PC, one would think Blank would be the last person to make such a mistake on a live, national TV sports-production.

7. TD

TD TT Huckaboo

I watched it on youtube. It was a very innocent statement about eating unhealthy fattening foods (fried chicken and french fries) while in jail. Anyone making a big deal about it is just race baiting.

8. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Yeah, but it still didn't quell the sheer embarassment he had by being on TV with a guy saying something that he apparently didn't agree with.

Bottom line there are some things you just don't say in front of a camera, even if it's as innocent as what blank said.

9. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

That is ridiculous. Whomever is making a big deal out of this are actually the ones being racists because they are implying that only black people eat fried chicken and fries. Next.

10. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

That should be a new buzz word!

11. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I heard this last night too and thought to myself - there will be at least a handfull of morons that make a big deal out of it....

I'm shutting down for about 15 minutes - so that I can run to Popeyes. I missed my normal 'fried chicken day' yesterday - so I am making up for it today.

12. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

I was thinking the same thing, about unhealthy foods being eaten - that he'll get out of football shape fast. Shoot, he looked chunky already on the msn page yesterday in court.

Guess I need to check the batteries on my PC radar as that flew by me without much of a racist thought.

13. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Its not racist if he's correct, right?

Maybe Vick really loves fattening foods like fried chicken and fries. Its not unheard of. I love both of those things

14. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

The British are streotyped as loving fried chicken? Are the Irish also stereotyped for their love of watermellon and the Welsh for their love of Chitlins? I'm confused?

For those who didn't complete 8th grade grammar class the preceding was SARCASM.

15. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

When people make fun of my Irish friend for loving to drink just because he's Irish he doesnt go all up in arms about it.

It's not even that African Americans are offended by this stuff. It's that the media and everybody else jumps to their defense like they need help.

I eat fried chicken and french fries all the time, but I'm not offended by what Blank said.

16. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

How do you know AA's aren't offended by it? b/c the ones u know aren't? I think that's a pretty myopic view of things.

Some areas lend themselves to more sensitive radars when it comes to things like this. If Blank says what he said in a room full of AA's in a city with that kind of history & that is thought of by many young AA professionals as "the black mecca" for business, i guarantee u at least half of them would be offended on some level. Now how they react to it is a different story.

17. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

It is perfectly ok to make fun of whites, black comedians can do it all day long everyday, but if a white comedian made fun of any race then it would be racist.

I F'n hate pc police.

Arthur Blank should have said well as long as he does not kill any more dogs, gamble, get involved with relatives who sell drugs and be a complete freakin moron then we might consider taking him back.

18. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Anyways............... My 3 peice from Popeyes was awesome...

Oh, and I dont get bent out of shape for being associated with consuming a lot of alchohol, nor do I get upset about comments made with potatoes or cabbage....

19. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

he'd be lying if he said that. Everyone knows he's done there & probably in the league as well.

As for your other point for the most you're right but white comedians do make fun of blacks/hispanics, you just have to be careful about. I've seen Jeff Foxworthy & lesser known white comedians do it effectively. Hell, if you watched "Martin" over the last decade he had characters engaging in what is thought to be stereotypical "black" behavior (white mike & his radio show producer). But can you go up there ala Micheal Richards? hell no.

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

The problem is people are assuming the worst of several possible options:

(1) Blank happens to know one of Vick's favorite foods is in fact fried chicken.

(2) Blank was reflecting a southern food observation rather than a black people observation.

(3) Blank was racially stereotyping.

Frankly the only way to choose between those possibilities is to make a racist determination that because Blank is white it must have been #3 "because that is what white people do."

texasguy346 likes this.