Faggins: "In Houston, it's a little bit tense".

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by TEXANS84, Aug 4, 2009.

1. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Petey, it's going to be way more tense when you show back up at your old stomping grounds and Vonta Leach passes you for a 60 yard touchdown pass...
    \
    Full Article

2. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

He also had this to say:

Sounds like he is taking a shot at the coaches. We will be sure to forward them on to whereever they are now.

3. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I don't know that I can blast Faggins for this. I think he's probably right. Losing sucks, and people get uptight. I can't imagine millions of dollars being involved helping the situation.

4. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I'm going to move this thread into the NFL section. For people who really want to know what various teams are like, this article has some information that confirms what I've heard from others.

Of course, Petey was here during the Capers years where politics determined playing time as much as skill did. I wonder how much that corporate culture has changed.

======

For those who can't stand hearing something less than glowing about the Texans, I understand that you think Petey is the worst corner ever, and knows less about team dynamics than the well informed forum member. :)

5. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Can you expand on this?

BTW, I think Faggins is speaking of Hoke yelling at him. Hoke was a yeller.

Faggins will be lucky to even make the Titans roster, much less start. Paul says it himself right after Petey's comments.

6. Runner

Now that's what I like to see - holding back the initial thought to shoot the messenger.

7. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow Work'n da grill

This guy will never see the field unless we have injuries.

Finny and Harper are the starters.

Fuller usually plays nickel and unless Mouton is absolutely a bust in camp he will play dime.

8. Runner

As I understand it, the Texans were regimented to the minute under Capers. A typical day's schedule would start with an item from 7:00 to 7:18 followed by a meeting from 8:34 to 9:53, etc. (I'm making up these specific times). I think Kubiak is also fairly structured, though probably not to that degree.

I've heard that the Titans under Fisher are just the opposite. It is a relaxed atmosphere that seems very disorganized to someone coming from a rigid environment like the Texans. Somehow though on Sunday, Fisher picks up the control sticks and the jumbled parts scattered across the team come together and dance to the game plan like a marionette.

All teams have their own personalites and ways to get things done. These are two of the alternatives.

9. spurstexanstros

spurstexanstros Texans Rising

Its because of Petey Faggins alot of that losing happened. Lee Evans made the pro bowl because of that guy. Marvin Harrison earned millions because he had most of his catches against that guy. How often did we see #38 with his arms stretched wide as td was scored on him.

He got burned so many times I dubbed him "Big Play Petey" because he gave up the big play....to the other team.

Seriously no one on this board should give a rats...what this guy thinks. He cost us more games than HWWNBN ever did. Take a look back at all the close games and look for the one play that cost us the game. It could be the game winning TD against petey or the third and 5 (that if stopped the Texans could get the ball and tie or take the lead)Petey would be found giving an eight yard cushion.

That guy is a Titan and I am sure that if he gets on the field Kubiak is gonna say...we need a big play so throw at him.

10. spurstexanstros

spurstexanstros Texans Rising

i would be yelling and cussing if you gave up not one but two 70 td catches in a matter of quarters. Petey they yelled and cussed at you because you sucked. When you were benched last year the Texans started to win.

"Please play that guy more, I own him." -Andre Johnson.

11. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Ah, gotcha. I remember hearing that about Capers.

I think Kubiak's got a little "laid back" in him, but I'm sure winning on a consistant basis will help relax the organization as a whole. Obviously, we have yet to experience a winning season so there probably are several puckered sphincters around camp.

It'll come eventually.

12. Runner

The question becomes does all that extra puckering just add stress that outweighs any benefit.

With Capers it certainly lowered morale and was a factor in him losing the team. Kubiak has more of a leadership persona, so that helps him immensely with the players.

13. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I don't think he was the only one who didn't like the last defensive coaching staff. It was proven to be a bad one.

David Carr is an example of a good loser. I've seen him happy and telling jokes in the locker room after crushing losses. People all around him were mad, but he was feeling great. Faggins wasn't as bad a player as many of the fans in messageboardville paint him to be. The Texans just didn't always have legit starting cbs while he was here and he really isn't more than a nickel back. I thought he was better than Steve Jackson and most Oiler fans remember Jackson fondly.

14. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

On a football note, I'd agree with him that if you are looking over your shoulder on whether you will get yanked or not, you will be a lesser player. When that happens you start thinking stuff like..."are my feet right, did I turn and backpeddle, did I jam, did I turn and run, did I cover the flat instead of releasing the guy. Overall it takes the "natural" ability to play out of the equation because you are thinking coach talk. He isn't a starter but maybe he will flourish in another system...ala McCree at safety.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  15. Hardcore Texan

Agreed, and pretty much all I was saying, on with the new coaching staff and I hope things are improved all around.

16. Vinny

Faggins is a 6th round pick who has had 8 years in the league, so he's likely at the end of his career. I bet there aren't too many 6th rounders that can say they put 8 years in the league.

17. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Well, from what I've gathered from watching camp, lil Gibbs is more of a teacher than Hoke. He'd jog up to the DB that might've made a wrong move and speak to him face to face rather than yelling from 20 yards away. Lil Gibbs is constantly jogging around the secondary teaching the guys. I think he sweats as much as the players do. lol

18. Hardcore Texan

Good tidbit, thanks.

19. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Agreed. He served his purpose and despite his play still started due to the lack of talent there. So I never faulted the guys work ethic.

20. Vinny

Hoke's style was more of a Fred Flintstone style. Gibbs is more yoda, molded by the mysterious forces of the universe.