Face of the franchise?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexanSam, Jun 15, 2007.

1. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Who is the new face of the Texans franchise now that David Carr is no longer on the team? I guess it could be argued he wasn't the face of the franchise after Kubiak took over but from a national perspective I still think most outsiders thought of Carr when they thought of the Texans. But now who is it? DeMeco? Mario Williams? Kubiak? Andre Johnson? Schaub?

Thoughts?

2. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Veteran

Honestly, I think it's Super Mario,he's the one ESPN talks about the most(You know the whole Reggie deal) so I think he's the one people think of when they picture the Texans.Closely followed By Matt.

3. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

If Mario plays to expectations and turns into a professional on and off the field, he has the fast track to being the face...right now though I think DeMeco and AJ are ahead of him. Schaub has the chance too if he plays well.

4. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Kubiak and AJ.

5. mancunian

mancunian Daleks Rule

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irela
    I'd say AJ at the moment - but there's at least 5 players who could end up being described that way

6. Overalls

Overalls Hall of Fame

If we, as Texan, fans are asking this question of ourselves. It stands to reason so is the national media and fans of other teams. Sure last season we were known for Carr and Williams, but both were more negative impresions. AJ went to the Pro Bowl again but he shows quiet strength and as much as we repect him as a player. It is hard for someone like that to be a "face" of a franchise. I think after the season starts we will have players step up. I think the national media will be keeping their eyes on us because everybody likes a sad sack team that turns good. WHEN we start winning games I think our "face" will become clear. I think Schaub has more of an it factor than David and he could become the "face" of the team, but if all goes to plan we could be known for our DOMINANT D.

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

AJ is great player but is a quiet leader. Schaub will try to be but my vote goes to our probowler @ MLB who will solidify himself as the "face". I see him as the QB of the defense and in second year willing to step up more vocally.As DROY, he will confidently push the players where they should be and will encourage the offense with his skills & attitude.

8. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I am going to throw Dunta's name in there as he has started to assert his voice in the locker room and has been one of our more talented players. If the defense progresses again this year and he is able to shut down his side of the field I believe you will see his face, name, quotes being picked up in the press a lot more this year.

9. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

The face of the franchise is Toro!

[​IMG]

:texflag:

Texans Horror likes this.
  10. real

real Guest

dito

11. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Overrated, although his rapelling skills are sick.

However, your submission does bring up the question of why we do not have a Toro smilie?

12. dskillz

dskillz Veteran

Actually I think it is Mario. That is the player that is most recognizable on the team. The one guy who has done alot of interviews. In fact, Mario in his one year as a pro probably has done more than AJ in his entire career. Mario really comes across good in those videos as well. We will see who the Texans make available this year.

13. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I already think of Schaub as the primary "spokesman" of the teams players, atleast the Offensive side of the ball. And its a role that he seems to welcome and enjoy. He's obviously intelligent, articulate, & poised. He's also a nice looking young man, which doesn't hurt in this day of the TV, without having the preppy demeanor & pretty-boy good looks that always seemed to really annoy all the Carr-bashers.
    Whether or not spokesman translate into "face" of the franchise, I dunno ?

14. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I don't know. I think the whole "face of the franchise" thing is pretty over-rated.

Earlier in another similar thread, I voted for Kubiak.

But I think that the face of the franchise (if it exists) comes from the person who gets out there and does the most interviews, the guy that the reporters go to and put on the news. Recently for us, that's been Dunta more than anyone but he really hasn't been that active. I think that Schaub wants to fill that role and I think the FO wants and expects him in that role but until the season starts and bullets start flying and he proves himself, he's not it, yet.

15. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Mario is the most recognizable because he is a joke to NFL fans all over the country, and to most media people.

AJ should be the face. Best player on the team and a class guy.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I couldnt care less about the national media , I couldnt care less how the Texans market the team , I do however care how the team performs .

Anyone remember those real good Oilers teams of the 70's ? Who was the "Face of the franchise" on those teams ...... there wasnt one although there were a whole lot of good players .

All this marketing crap just makes the price of my kids Nike's go up .... stupid endorsements .

17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Bum Phillips was the face in the 70s and in 1978 ( I think) Earl Campbell won his first rushing title.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

My point was that it wasnt any single person . Those teams had players that everyone could relate to . Hell the Steelers from that era were much the same as the Oilers .... I think this fits in well with what McNair said about needing 18-21ish really good players . not just One "Face of the franchise" to shoulder the entire load .

19. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

dunta and demeco are the faces on D.

AJ and Schaub seem to be the faces on O.

20. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

I would really like to see us stop talking about who is the face of the franchise. I agree with Pencil, its way over-rated.