FA targets 2011?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TheRealJoker, Jan 5, 2011.

1. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Given that we are moving to Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense, I see us making a run at Cowboys free agents that could compete for starting jobs and help speed up the transition for the rest of the defense.

Two targets I have in mind:

Marcus Spears (DE) - Would compete with Antonio Smith for a starting spot and help the DL transition.

Terrence Newman (CB) - Would provide us with a true # 1 CB and give the young DBs a quality veteran to learn from.

2. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

anybody and everybody who Kubes and wade can think help this team

NO CHamp bailey tho

i brought him up at work and some dude made a intresting point

IS he the same champ bailey we are thinking of tho he is a little older and denver was not so hot this year

3. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

Marcus Spears isn't he the guy we passed along with DJ and draft Travis Johnson(DT) instead? Damn Caper and co.

4. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

I posted this here

Texaninlild likes this.
  5. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

"IMO the LBs in a 3-4 would be Cushing and Barwin on the outside."
    &&
    I think Barwin always was meant to be a 3-4 OLB in the NFL. Besides being an outstanding edge-rusher, he's very athletic you know, we're talking about a former varsity basketball player at Cinci here. On the other hand Cushing gets into trouble when he's in space, I like him staying around the los where he can take advantage of his size, strength, and aggressiveness.

6. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

Someone on another thread mentioned that Bailey wants to switch to FS to prolong his career. I'd be down with that. I'd also be ok with re-signing Jason Allen as long as we went elsewhere for another corner also. Cromartie and Chris Carr are options, depending on cap space.

We also need a good-sized tackle for the NT in case our current tandem doesn't work out. Ngata would be awesome, but no way does B'more let that guy go (which is why we have a shot at one of their CB's). Aubrayo Franklin plays the nose for SF, but I don't know much about him. Same with the Cardinals' Alan Branch. He's huge (338), he's young (26), but I don't know anything about him.

Good list of FA here to keep this thread alive. http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

Texaninlild likes this.
  7. 97roc

97roc Veteran

So would Cushing be better suited for the inside? Sharpton would be a suitable backup on the inside, but that leaves us without a starting OLB.

8. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

Cushing is a rushing LB. He'll be another Clay Mathews in the 3-4 IMO.

9. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

Considering Leinart will probably be gone (SF and Oakland come to mind), we'll be looking for a quality backup QB. Seneca Wallace, Alex Smith, Matt Moore, Rex Grossman, Matt Hasselbeck, Marc Bulger, Tyler Thigpien - all available. Snag one? I like Wallace and Smith, personally. I think they'd do well in our system. Thoughts?

10. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

make Haloti Ngata the richest man in NFL history

11. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

If B'more franchises him, we can't.

12. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

Can you not still make an offer on a franchise player? You lose a draft pick, but I am pretty sure Ngata is worth more than any player in any round out there. Not one single rookie I'd rather have than him.

13. HTown2ATX

HTown2ATX TexansMetalhead

Yeah, you can still make an offer to a franchise player. I forget the rules as to what you pay as the team that made the offer if the player accepts but it is pretty friggin steep and that's why you don't see too many teams do it. However, if we are switching to a 3-4, Ngata is really the only proven guy out there that I would take right now so it may be worth it.

Too bad Zombie Master Davis out in Oakland will not part with Namdi Aso. at DB.........would love to get him!

14. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

From Wikipedia:

No way does a team make an offer to a "non-exclusive" player and risk losing TWO first-round draft picks. Only Peyton or Tom would be worth that.

15. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

With no CBA, there may be no franchise tags.

16. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

I'd do it for Ngata...he's the ultimate NT.

17. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Except for the fact that he isn't Baltimore's NT. Kelly Gregg is their NT. Occasionally Ngata moves inside.

18. dinkatoid

dinkatoid Veteran

I would not want Newman. He is really starting to show his age and is not looking like he has much left. If I were to go after a corner, I think I would pick Richard Marshall. Carolina wants to get rid of him, but he has been a fairly solid corner from what I have seen and read. He is a very physical player who can help out vs the run as well. He is by no means elite, but I think he would be a very serviceable corner.

19. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Everyone is getting so excited about FA. But McNair's statements reflect only that we will "take part" in FA this year. I don't remember anywhere that he stated will be "aggressive" in FA of make a "splash." That's tethering my expectations once again for the FA "fix" and I expect more and more talk about how well we will do with just little "tweeks" in order to justify this stance in FA. We're already hearing statements to that effect from Wade.

20. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

Like he's really going to show his hand. You don't make brazen statements like that.