FA/Draft needs in '09

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dalemurphy, Oct 15, 2008.

1. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Part of this is about assessing the weaknesses of what looks like a good team right now... Then, I'm just excited about accumulating some more talent in the draft. Next season we should have as close to a complete team as you can have in the NFL.

Major Needs:
    Center: Meyers is servicable. He holds up pretty well in pass protection but gets pushed around too much in running plays... He's simply a good backup to have.

Guard: Briesel just doesn't have it and neither does Studdard. I actually believe in Frye but we certainly need depth there.

RB: Slaton is about 1/2 the answer. I'm thrilled with him. However, though I was Bullish on CTaylor, it's clear we need two other guys we can count on as depth and to take 10 touches a game.

FB: We need a backup!

Speed Rusher DL: This should be where the money or high round pick is spent. This player turns our team into a contender!

Run Stuffer DL: I'm happy with what's going on with Cochran and Okoye on pass downs but clearly we need a big hoss, even if Okam improves, we need still need the depth.

Playmaking SS: a big, fast, mean SOB would complete the secondary.

That's a pretty big list. However, most of that stuff is mid round, and second tier FA type players, with the exception of the speed rushing DE.

Damn, we are almost very good!!!!

2. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

You can add an OLB to that. Diles could be upgraded and Greenwood has to be upgraded. I don't know if Adibi is the answer or not, but I don't want to wait around to find out. I think we need to add someone who's quick and can bring the wood.

I also think we need to start looking at a QB. I would probably draft one in the later rounds again next year to see if you can find some gold. And, depending on how Schaub does next year, restructure him or draft a new franchise QB. Also, there's been some discrepancy on whether Sage is a FA or not next year. I wouldn't mind bringing in Losman to replace Sage is he is a FA. Losman is decent outside of the pocket, which is nice for our offense.

And, obviously another CB wouldn't hurt. Though, I know that's not going to happen.

But, I would probably rank our top 3 needs as:
    OLB
    DE
    RB

With S coming in a close 4th.

3. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I would bring in a vet other then Sage and look at adressing the other positions. From what I am seeing right now the QB class this year doesn't look like it'll be nearly as good as next year's.

4. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

We've got another year to evaluate Schaub before his bonus kicks in, so it's not really a priority anyway. We'll only need to address it if Sage is a FA. Otherwise, I might just draft one to see if I can find the proverbial diamond in the rough.

5. Htownsportsfan

Htownsportsfan All Pro

Your ok with our Linebackers????????

6. maddogmrb

maddogmrb All Pro

Exactly! OLB is the weakest part of our team and I'm beginning to think we should move Demeco outside to best utilize his talents and find another MLB.

7. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

Our first four picks should be:

1) DE
    2) OLB
    3) RB
    4) OT (backup OT or convert to OG)

Ideally, in that order.

8. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I'm mixed on Diles but becoming a believer despite some mistakes. I'm also excited about Adibi. But, beyond that, I really like Thompson on the strong side and like Bentley quite a bit as well.

Of course we could get better there, but I'm pretty happy with the group of 6- 7 if you include Coley who I think is on the P.S. I agree that Greenwood should and will be gone.

9. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I love our CB situation. As a matter of a fact, other than OT and WR, I think in terms of depth it is the strength of our team.

Dunta (assuming re-signed)
    Bennett
    Reeves
    Molden
    Faggins.

Great depth- unless you have the ability to get a special talent, that position is filled.

10. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

i wouldnt draft many offensive players untill we stop giving up 30 points a game.

11. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

If we upgraded at RG and Center, we wouldn't be giving up 30 points a game. Our tackles are excellent already in the run game... If those two positions get upgraded, we can shove the ball down the throat of most defenses!

12. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

agreed. jury's still out for me on money mike but meyers clearly gets man handled. i'm so used to seeing centers 5 yard back in the backfield it's rediculous! what the hell is going on there?

13. rollinstone18

rollinstone18 let it bleed

FA:
    Break the bank on Terrell Suggs.

14. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

Haynesworth , Suggs, or Nmadi would reaally upgrade this team. Either could vault this team defensively top 10. Offensively , this team is good enough minus the turn overs.

15. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

0) OLB
    1) Rush End
    2) Plug DT
    3) Play-making safety, preferably FS, but SS would be legit.
    4) Center
    5) Guard
    6) RB/FB someone who could play both the backup running back and backup fullback spot.
    7) CB

16. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

I wouldn't be against OG Duke Robinson or a top 3 OT. Sure wouldn't suck to shore up our offensive line.

17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I hope the Texans offseason goes something like this

FA Hanesworth
    rd1 Curry lb Wake Forest or Cushing lb USC
    rd2 Brown de Fla. St.
    rd.3 Caldwell C ALABAMA or Ulatoski G-T UT
    rd4 Mattews LB USC

18. texanskan

texanskan Veteran

agree
    agree
    Grenn/Slaton we need to see how this plays out this year and we could wait till 2010
    Leach is enough
    Another Speed rusher is a must ie. 1st round pick
    DT is something that I would like to spend free agent money on ie. a better deal than a DL money wise
    and a safety if availeble in the 2nd round should be what we look at

19. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

We need an upgrade at every position except WR. Positions that would make the most impact:

Running Back: A guy who can go 15 carries a game. Ahman is actually impressing me in his backup role this year, but his career is 98% over. We need another young guy to help Slaton.

Safety: Clean up guy. Solid safety that makes good decisions in coverage. Athletic enough to cover a slot, or TE like Dallas Clark. This is one guy we desperately need. Demps is a good safety, but he has alot of wear and tear on him, and he is our only above-average safety.

Defensive End: Solid all around DE. He doesn't even have to be a speed rusher, just needs to be able to get at the QB. Mario is our sack artist, we just need another solid DE on the other side to take advantage of one on one matchups in both the run and pass game.

Outside Linebacker: Someone who plays well in coverage and can run plays down with speed and power. Diles and Greenwood are below-average to average football players. Adibi is a start to strengthening this group, but we wil need to draft a SAM and another linebacker, perhaps a MLB.

Inside Offensive Line: We're getting pushed back pretty often from strong DTs. I'd like to see us draft a talented run blocking guard or center to add to this young OL.

These are the main positions we need to look at drafting IMO.

Free agents are a different story. You get the guys you can afford and I would look at upgrading every position except possibly WR through FA.

20. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

OLB and DE