Eye of Perfect Storm Mario?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by badboy, May 21, 2011.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think all eyes will be on Mario Williams this season. He has been singled out on national television and talk shows in debates on his ability to play OLB. Not only is this a "do or die" for his head coach and maybe GM but is a pendulum for Wade Phillips. Most of us die hard fans are excited about this new to Texans defensive co-ordinator. Every night when I say my "lie me down to sleeps", I pray God be especially good to Mr. Phillips and the 52.

Mario is in final year of contract but faces (if fans are lucky) a year under a new CBA that will reduce salary cap and quite possibly his ability to have one more very lucrative deal. The new defense according to facts as we know, is designed with Mario to get 30 sacks (ok, that is my dreaming) which would allow his agent to say "Pay him Ric".

This is when the storm hits. Will McNair step up as he did with Andre Johnson and Demeco Ryans (and hopefully Vontae Leach)? Or does he tell Smith to Franchise Tag him for a couple of firsts round draft picks? There would be numerous teams lining up to sign a DE/OLB with say 15 sacks this season.

Calm now in the eye of what may be a perfect storm, but the eyes of many will be on Mario Williams. If, that is we have an NFL season.

2. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

If and when the teams can start work outs, I'm willing to bet Mario will up for this.

3. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

When a CBA is finally reached, Mario will be re-signed to a long term deal. He will not see the franchise tag (if that still exists) or free agency.

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

You base this upon... his history, future potential, McNair wanting to keep a good thing happening like AJ, what?

5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

The Texans history. Carr, AJ, DeMeco all were re-signed prior to free agency. The exceptions (Dunta and Owen Daniels) came off injury marred seasons.

Now if Mario has a serious injury (not the nagging types of injuries he's had), then maybe the Texans would tag Mario and play a wait and see approach.

Let me ask you this: On what would you base the Texans allowing Mario to reach free agency?

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

First I'd be ok with him remaining. I think there will be some major reductions in CBA to please owners & get NFL season started. Not predicting this but could see it happening: Mario has a decent year & wants to test market so he does not allow negotiation this year. Team franchises him, knowing Watt & Smith are DEs, Reed and Barwin are OLB starters and we can get another n 2012 as b/up. If I could get a high first or 1st & something else like a vet, I may have to listen.

7. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

OK, but if the Texans have to franchise* Mario, he'll get the exclusive franchise tag. Mario will not get to test the market. His agent knows this, and that's why the negotiation never gets that far. Mario will get the extension before the league year is over.

*All this is predicated on the existence of the franchise tag in something of its current form.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  8. Rey

Rey Guest

Yeah, I don't understand all this talk of letting Mario walk or whatever...

I really don't see that happening.

9. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Just a hunch, but I think owners liked being able to tag two players last season and we will see that in new CBA. Here's my next question, if a team wants him, do we negotiate a trade or keep him? A lot will depend I know on how he and Reed, Watt, Barwin etc do, but it would be hard for me to turn down a couple juicy draft picks.

10. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Depends on whether the Texans are trying to win or continuing to rebuild. Come on, Bob McNair isn't going to trade the one of the top 2 assets he has.

11. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I think if Mario proves himself in the new system then you have to resign him because you are in win now mode.

12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Interesting, I have Schaub, AJ and Foster rated ahead of Mario. I also can see scenario where the other OLB has more sacks than WIlliams, not dissing Williams. Thinking on it, a healthy Ryans if that is possible would probably rate over Mario imo.

13. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

If we do't "win now" this next season, a whole bunch of folks will be gone, I can see McNair putting Mario type $ elsewhere if we have a new coach/GM.

14. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Not in the opinion of the NFL. If all Texans were free agents, Mario would get the biggest contract.

Who would be trading Mario? If the Texans win in 2011, Smithiak keeps their jobs and Mario is likely a reason why. If the Texans don't win in 2012, the Texans new organization makes the call on Mario. How likely are they to take the Texans job without Mario and rebuild? The premise of dealing Mario is nonsensical.

infantrycak likes this.
  15. gary

gary Hall of Fame

As long as you have players like Shaub and AJ you should try to win now per say.

16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Ranking the Pass-Rushers
    1. DeMarcus Ware, Dallas Cowboys
    2. Clay Matthews, Green Bay Packers
    3. Dwight Freeney, Indianapolis Colts
    4. Jared Allen, Minnesota Vikings
    5. Tamba Hali, Kansas City Chiefs
    6. James Harrison, Pittsburgh Steelers
    7. John Abraham, Atlanta Falcons
    8. Julius Peppers, Chicago Bears
    9. LaMarr Woodley, Pittsburgh Steelers
    10. Cameron Wake, Miami Dolphins
    Link: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/25401/power-rankings-top-10-nfl-pass-rushers

Of course, these selections were by writers not GMs or coaches. I am NOT advocating trading Williams but it would be non-sensical to not consider it.

17. Scooter

Scooter Funky

Edit: drunk scooter

Last edited: May 22, 2011
    dc_txtech likes this.
  18. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

That list is ridiculous. Aside from possibly Matthews and Ware, none of the players listed above would be more coveted than Mario. Though, they are all good players.

If you're considering trading Mario, then you're considering rebuilding. And you may as well trade AJ and Schaub, while you're at it. Because they will be past their prime by the time the next version of the Texans are ready. The last thing the Texans need is to get younger. What they need is hair on the chest of the players already on the roster.

19. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I would hope that Bob has seen how hard it is to get a pass rusher based on all the attempts we've had and he would pay Mario.

20. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Here's one scenario where that's actually unlikely to happen: if the Texans have a bad season, that means that Wade is probably the HC next year and that means we will remain a 3-4 team, and in addition, lets say that Wades Mario/OLB experiment is a failure. OK this clearly means that the only way that Mario can get back to his "natural" position as a 4-3 DE where he's an established success (remember, he flopped as a OLB and he doesn't want to play the 5-tech 3-4 DE position), is with another NFL team.