Even with top 10 pick DT Okoye on roster, Chron says Texans may draft Peria Jerry

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by nunusguy, Mar 11, 2009.

1. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Jerry is nasty and physical. He penetrates and obliterates. But he looks like Amobi Okoye. Jerry is almost 6-2 and 299. Okoye, who was a huge disappointment last season, is 6-2 and 302.

I don’t know what Bush and Kollar think about having two tackles the same size. I believe the Texans prefer one of their tackles be a road grader who takes up a lot of space. Frank Okam would be the ideal road grader, but his engine needs a tuneup.
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6304426.html

2. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

The most interesting part of that article was the 10 yard split data on Matthews

3. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Yep ... not bad at all . I would take Matthews on bloodline and he's still going to get better .

4. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Other than the drafting of Okam (in the 5th round), what makes you believe Bush, Kollar, or the Texans prefer a road grader at one of the DT positions?

5. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

What I like about Clay 3 is that he's had to work for everything he's received. The article stated that his dad didn't even start him on his highschool team because he was too thin at safety. Yet, this kid still makes his way on to a supreme, NFL coached college team and eventually starts. That says alot to me. That means this kid doesn't have quit in him and is an acheiver.

6. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Okoye has been a huge bust so far, top 10 or not (referencing the title not your commentary). Where did you hear the Texans wanted a 'road grader'? They have avoided players like this in the past and Okam didn't really get much experience last season.

7. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Hard to tell what your thoughts are and what was "quoted" from the article.

Good short write up by McClain. That split time by Matthews is incredible. I've been saying people need to focus more on the inital burst for a DE prospect than the full 40 time. How quick off the snap are they? That's what's important. I've been really high on Matthews for a while. Think he's probably a pick in the 20's. If he would be able to play SLB and DE effectively for us, I'd LOVE it.

I think Jerry will be a great DT. I've been on the Raji bandwagon as long as I can remember but his stock has increased tremendously over the months. I think Jerry is a top 20 talent and well worthy of the 15th pick, he would not be a reach. If he fits what Kollar and Bush want to do with the DL then I have no problem with that selection.

I just want us to go BPA with the 15th pick unless there is a good trade down scenario. Hopefully that pick is a defensive player that fills a need, we should have some options.

No question about the level of competition Jerry was facing... that's for sure.
    Peria Jerry Highlights

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  8. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

The road grader comment is from the article by John Mcclain, not the poster. John Mcclain thinks we want a road grader. I personally don't want to go DT at all round 1. DT's round 1 haven't necessarily shown any production and that is including our DT we got two years ago.

9. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

see below

Those were McClain's thoughts. I agree though... the Texans actions don't reflect this view. I hope we don't reach for a NT like Brace or Taylor who don't fit what we want in a 4-3 DT/NT.

10. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Well there you go then...explains it all. The man has trouble with actual on the field football knowledge. I'm sure he is repeating something he heard from someone who is the brother of a late cousin of one of the coaches.

As far as Matthews and the initial burst...I like that stat more than pure speed. Especially with guys whose success depends on beating their one on one matchup to the punch.

11. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Okoye hasn't really given the Texans much reason not to draft to replace him. Plus, according to LZ, Jerry is much better at stopping the run than Okoye, which is something we need out of our DT.

And who's to say that Jerry is not to replace Travis Johnson, who only has 10 lbs. on Okoye and Jerry.

Ultimately, if we were to draft Jerry I wouldn't look at it as replacing Okoye specifically, as much as I would look at it as adding a DT we think could be an effective one; because we really lack any consistently effective DT outside of Deljuan.

12. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

no matter how you slice it, we need both tackles to play like they belong in the league. There were times when Okoye just didn't look like a NFL player last season. It wouldn't shock me to see us go DT with the first pick despite us making at least one bad DT pick and perhaps two bad DT picks the last few years. If this team can't get any better at the run then they won't get teams in 3rd and longs much either.

13. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

The V-Man is on the scene ! It would seem you honor us less and less frequently with your presence lately ?
    You'll have to ask one John McClain about the "road grader" remark as the statement is embedded within his Chronicle article which is found herein. But it sounds to me as if McClain got his offensive & defensive lineman metaphors mixed up ?

Vinny likes this.
  14. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Say no to round 1 DT's. Haven't we learned a lesson or are we calling our 2 round 1 DT's busts now? Okoye has another year to prove what he is, the sack machine rookie or the flopping fish-omore. TJ needs a contract, so I expect him to get up for the season. DelJuan was DelAwesome. Okam needs to show something good or bad so the Texans can make a decision with him. A Smith is said to move inside on passing downs, Bulman can too...I just think our starters need to produce in the new system because our depth chart at DT top to bottom will be set if they do.

15. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

Jerry would be a horrible pick for the Texans. We already have Travis Johnson and Okoye and we need a big, beefy guy to eat up space next to those guys. Jerry wouldn't help one bit.

If you look at teams that run a 4-3 D, they have a beffy DT. For example, the Bengals have Domata Peko who weighs around 330-lbs, Carolina has Makke Kemoateu who weighs around 340-lbs and the Jags have Henderson at 335-lbs. My point is we need a space-eater to free up space for Okoye or whomever to rush the defender and disrupt the QB.

16. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

Gotta agree with this 100%. If I had my pick today I would want us to draft Peria Jerry. I'd let him play next to Okoye and hope they both create havoc and if Amobi can't improve we have our 3-tech in Jerry. Jerry is 25 so he should be able to step in immediately and not be overwhelmed. It just seems, to me, that he is going to be a pretty darn good player at an important position that we happen to need an upgrade at. I doubt he turns into a superstar but he can be a very good d-lineman for us and if Antonio Smith works out we would go from having 1 good linemen to 3 in one off season.

17. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

The Eagles line is smaller than ours and they are a top unit against the run. I think it has to do more with talent and scheme than size. I'm sure there are other teams that don't have elite size that are waaaay better against the run than we are but the Eagles just popped into my head immediately. We also now have two DEs that are going to be good against the run, one of the being huge for a DE and the other one pretty darn big.

18. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

At the start of next season Okoye will be about the averge age on an NFL rookie. We all knew that drafting somebody that young woulf equate into a project, which is what he is. I woulnd't call him a bust just yet.

Is TJ a bust? In the eyes of the fans certainly, but listening to the coaching staff tells a different story.

Has either lived up to where they were picked? Not really, but DTs rarely do. DT is the only position that might challenge QB for difficulty to grade, and the bust ratio might slightly be higher for 1st round DTs then 1st round QBs. I would no longer draft a DT in the first round, no mater what team, no mater that teams need, no mated how well the prostect grades out.

Here's to hoping that a new mind set on the D, and a new D-line coach irons out the issues with Okoye. 4.5 sacks in your first month of live games in the NFL is was a great flash of potential.

19. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

I'd have no problem if they drafted Peria. This is pretty much a make or break move for Okoye and if he contines to be unimpressive, you at least have a prospect in Peria to fill the void. If Okoye plays well, then you have a battery of DTs that could potentially be elite. If they feel he can make the jump to the NFL and is a safe pick, make the move. If they have any reservations or feel he is a long term prospect, then they should probably draft someone else. I didn't watch that much SEC football this year due to Little League commitments so I really can't tell you much about Peria other than the fact that Zeirlein mentioned him as a Texans possibility back in January.

I don't know if Maleauga is going to be someone they covet even if he falls to them at #15. Cushing doesn't seem to be someone they are realy high on probably due to his injury and him not having a lot of experience/film. I don't know if Everette Brown is even someone they covet. This should be a very wierd draft and with McNabb and Cutler both potentially being traded pre-draft, there could be a lot of movement. One way or another, there are going to be some terrific football players at #15 and even beyond. Here is to hoping they make the prudent move and continue to acquire top talent through the draft...with a continued focus on defensive draft picks.

20. RipTraxx

RipTraxx Free Agent

I read/heard somewhere (could have been here) that 1st round DTs have the HIGHEST number of bust then any other position....so im not really looking for another high-round DT. I'd rather have a bunch of guys that i can rotate and keep fresh.

Then again, the definition of bust vary from person to person but still.