Evaluating Last Year's Free Agents

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans_Chick, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

This is an interesting article that attempts to evaluate the impact of various free agents:

Link

It is worth a read.

As it relates to the Texans, Moulds gets a non-mention and Weaver is mentioned as disappointing.

To me, the biggest impact those players had were as mentors. Weaver and Williams were just about inseparable and so was Johnson and Moulds.
    Not exactly what you want for that money, but it is something both of those players needed.

2. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

Odd that Moulds was not mentioned. But he didn't really fit in with their assertion, I suppose.

Also mentioned were former Texans McCree and Gaffney.

3. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

Weaver was very disappointing. He signed for DE money and played like a backup DT.

Walter and Putizier were non-factors.

Flanagan was very disappointing.

Moulds was probably our most productive FA... which isn't saying much. Let's hope that Rick Smith earns his money this offseason.

4. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Moulds was a trade with Buffalo, not a FA signing.

5. Texans_Chick

True that. Good point.

I do not think that Weaver played like a backup. Given what was happening with the DT position, he was solid but not spectacular. He played every game except the last one.

6. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

What I was disappointed in was not seeing Rick Smith as one of the up and coming personnel people in the league. I agree that Weaver was a disappointment, at least in bang for the buck analysis. And, Moulds really wasn't given a chance considering our offensive woes.

The problem with free agency and the Texans is that we suck. If a player is truly considering the Texans as a place to play; they aren’t looking for a winner. So where does that leave us with? Well in this case it left us with an older player looking for a little more time in the sun and a mediocre player looking for a payday.

If the Texans are going to get better, they will have to build through the draft and fill in small holes through free agency. The free agents that come in here are going to have to be players like Maddox. A guy who has shown alot of potential but for what ever reason didn't make it with other teams. Otherwise, we are going to pay way too much for overpriced talent.

7. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Weaver falls into the same category that Greenwood has found himself. Average to OK player, but is making more money than his production warrants. Actually, I Weaver has more value because he can play all along the line, but is not going to play to 12 million signing bonus. Also, normally not a good thing if the best thing you say about a player is that he is a "coach on the field" or "veteran leadership." Intangibles are nice, but at the end of the day, the Texans don't have enough tangible production.

texasguy346 likes this.
  8. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

For what we gave up for him, Kevin Walter did very well. A throw to him pretty much guaranteed a first down.

9. bluestars87

bluestars87 Rookie

I still believe Eric Moulds and Andre Johnson can be pretty dangerous if Houston gets the quarterback situation fixed.

Hervoyel likes this.
  10. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

That says it right there, when it was thrown to him, it was a first down. It wasn't that he under performed, we just weren't able to get the ball to him enough (of course the same could be said for Moulds).

11. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Moulds maybe has lost a step....BUT....I think another poster (Earl???) said it best when he said that he'd catch a lot more balls if he was wearing a number 80 jersey.

12. Bearfan Blue and Orange

Bearfan Blue and Orange Veteran

NON FACTORS???
    If it were not for the contribution of Kevin Walter, you would have had many more 3 and outs!!! as just about everytime he caught the ball he moved the chains... CLUTCH!!!

13. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I think the importance of the "mentoring" factor is totally overrated.
    The primary mentors for a team are its coachs, and particular the position
    coachs who are the ones the players have the most direct contact with among all the coachs. This mentoring thing seems to have become an important little buzz word around here lately for whatever reason ?
    But the performance of the FAs acquired last year is in general disappointing.
    And frankly, that might be understating it. I'm hopeful that Rick Smith can
    do something about that this offseason.

14. Texans_Chick

For me, I think mentors are really important in sports. They teach subtle things that the real coaches don't have time for. They can also show how things are done. When players have concerns that they don't want to bother a coach about, they can visit with another player.

A bunch of young players, even if there are leaders among them, are the blind trying to lead the blind.

JMO.

Hervoyel likes this.
  15. real

real Guest

Texans Chick.....I hope you don't take offense to this....but you know an awful lot about football for a woman.....

But you are spot on with this one....As a young player joining a new team, I can tell you from first hand experience, that having older players to mentor you is priceless...An older player giving you advice is not nearly the same thing as your coach talking to you....not even close....

16. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I agree about the importance of drafting quality players. The Colts have something like 22 of 24 starting players (incl. kicker & punter) from their drafts. That's just an amazing FO to me.

That being said, the jokers previously running the show set us back with the goofy decisions that are now affecting our team. A solid FO is just as important as the players that take the field.

yep. Aside from the obvious bad decisions, I think one of the biggest was cutting all our veterans who might have lost a step but would have imparted much crucial knowledge to the younger dudes (our future). McNair pretty much admitted that a month or so ago, too.

Chalk it up to newbie owner mistake...and just hope it doesn't happen again...

17. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I think there are mentors, who are teachers, and there are peers, who are equals.
    To me a coach is a mentor, though certainly not a peer to a player.
    While the more senior players could be both mentors and peers to their
    younger teammates, they are primarily peers. And I'm speaking of
    professional relationships, not personal relationships.
    And I don't think team leaders are the same as mentors.

18. NEROtheZERO

NEROtheZERO Veteran

Tell Andre Johnson that Eric Moulds was just a peer and that his experience in the league benefited Andre's Pro Bowl bid in no way.

I mean, it's not like Andre took him to Hawaii for it or anything.

19. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Instead, how about I just tell you that AJ has already been to the Pro Bowl
    once which was 2 years ago before he probably ever met Eric Moulds.
    In other words, AJ didn't did no stinkin EM to get to Honolulu.

20. CharloTex

CharloTex All Pro

A mentor is your advocate, a coach is your boss. Therein lies the primary difference. Liken the coach to your teacher, and the mentor to your advisor. They both dispense gainful teachings and advice, but from different proximities and angles.