Eugene Wilson

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Ole Miss Texan, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

What's the word on Wilson? Everyone, myself included, is talking about FS as a need that could be addressed in the 1st or 2nd round. Anybody know what's going on with Wilson's injuries and his recovery?

Contract Info:
    2/26/2009: Signed a three-year, $11.3 million contract. The deal includes $3.85 million guaranteed. 2009-2011: Under Contract, 2012: Free Agent

Does he make it back to starting form? If so, he seemed to be a pretty good FS for us and that alleviates having to address FS early. Just wanted to see what people thought.

2. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Effin Brett Favre!!

3. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

It would be great to get him back healthy, but you'd still like to see a guy who isn't a 1 dimensional coverage safety back there. Even if he makes a full recovery I'd like to see them finally spend a high pick on a well rounded player who can cover, tackle and play the ball.

Well.. I can dream anyway. :pop:

4. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

ANTREL ROLLE! He has a history with Frank Bush, he's physical and very gifted athletically. He can cover WRs as well as play centerfield. He's still young.

Must make a play for this guy!

5. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

I would have liked to seen more of Wilson and Pollard together, especially since I think their strenghts and weaknesses actually mess well together. My thought is that the need at safety is a little overrated assumng that both of these guys are healthy, but I don't have enough games to make that assertion with real confidence.

Still even if the Texans are happy enough with Wilson as a starter they do need to get a more FS type as depth who could develop in a starter or like 25 other teams in the league hope that draft/find/develop one of the handful of true ballhawking FS making Wilson quality depth versus a okay starter.

6. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

As long as he's not asking for $5 mil a year it's a possibility. I'm not a big fan of his but he could be a solution to the problem. He will most likely command a high salary in FA though.

7. WolverineFan

I think the thing with Wilson is that he's unreliable in regards to staying healthy. He's missed 29 games in the last 4 years (about 45%). When he's healthy he is an above average starter and is a good fit at FS for us. He is not a playmaker, but he is a solid player that will do his job. Sometimes that's all you need.

However, we really need to get a guy like Thomas that can be a playmaker in the secondary or we could get someone like Nate Allen or Morgan Burnett, who can sit for a year or two and then take over for Wilson when his contract runs out.

8. RagingBull

RagingBull Hall of Shame

I think he would definitely be worth $5 Mil. We are paying Wilson almost 4. I think that Rolle would be at least 25% better.

9. WolverineFan

Yes, but then we're investing around $9 million a year on 2 safeties that play the same position. Not very good business.

10. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

When healthy I like Eugene

When not healthy and costing 4 mil towards the (phantom) cap, not so much

11. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

:lol:
    :lol:

[​IMG]

Karma, man she can be a real witch...:scarygirl:

12. Line_Producer

Line_Producer Party Rocker

We would be getting rid of Eugene, plus no salary cap next year.

13. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Not true. Both Wilson and Rolle have the ability to play CB. There are numerous ways to use both of those guys and get value out of them. There are all kinds of nickel and dime packages that could be incorporated, not to mention a base defense with both those guys lined up at safety in certain situations.

14. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

That's a good point, we'd have great depth at safety and given our Cornerback situation and their age/experience (or lack thereof)... I could see having Wilson and Rolle on the field together more than one would think.

We still have (NEED) to re-sign Pollard so that would make for a pretty expensive concentration in $'s at the Safety position. With that said, we're not spending teh $10-12MM on Dunta. Reeves has a respectable contract but nothing outrageous and the others are being paid peanuts. Even if we spend our 1st on a CB, it's still not much, considering the alternative. Our secondary from an overall $ standpoint, I think, would be alright.

Sign Antrelle Rolle, re-sign Bernard Pollard, get Eugene Wilson healthy, trade up for Joe Haden. :evil: Muahaha, so long Peyton.

15. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

It doesn't matter if the value is at safety when the 20th overall pick rolls around...

Similar to the Cushing pick last year, if the BPA on our board is at a position where we can upgrade significantly even if we've already got a solid player at that spot, we will make the upgrade. If there is a player at 20 that is anything close to the football player Cushing is then i'm all for it!!!

Ole Miss Texan likes this.
  16. RagingBull

RagingBull Hall of Shame

I think it would be very unlikely to hit like we did with Cushing two years in a row. I also thought it would be highly unlikely to get two DROY's over a 3 year span.

17. WolverineFan

Rolle was moved to FS because he could not play CB in the NFL. Well he could, he just wasn't very good.

18. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

Cut him loose.

19. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

Earl Thomas.

20. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I sincerely hope so.

I did like this guy too though:

Reshad Jones, FS/SS, Georgia
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 214.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.54.
    Combine 40 Time: 4.54.
    Benchx225: 24. Vertical: 39.5.
    Projected Round (2009): 2-3.
    3/3/10: Reshad Jones ran well (4.54) and had a nice vertical (39.5) at the Combine. I also thought he looked very good in the drills.

1/5/10: Reshad Jones has declared for the 2010 NFL Draft. Jones probably won't be a first-round pick, but as a 22-year-old fourth-year junior, the timing is probably right. No need to risk injury.

5/23/09: As a sophomore, Reshad Jones managed 76 tackles, five interceptions and three passes broken up.

That is a guy that provides versatility and those guys always have a chance.