ESPN: Saints' GM could eavesdrop on visiting coaching staffs

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Playoffs, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Sources: Saints' GM could eavesdrop
    April 23, 2012, 3:46 PM ET
    By John Barr | ESPN

NEW ORLEANS -- The U.S. Attorney's Office in the Eastern District of Louisiana was told Friday that New Orleans Saints general manager Mickey Loomis had an electronic device in his Superdome suite that had been secretly re-wired to enable him to eavesdrop on visiting coaching staffs for nearly three NFL seasons, "Outside the Lines" has learned.

Sources familiar with Saints game-day operations told "Outside the Lines" that Loomis, who faces an eight-game suspension from the NFL for his role in the recent bounty scandal, had the ability to secretly listen for most of the 2002 season, his first as general manager of the Saints, and all of the 2003 and 2004 seasons. The sources spoke with "Outside the Lines" under the condition of anonymity because of fear of reprisals from members of the Saints organization.

Jim Letten, the U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Louisiana, acknowledged being told of the allegations Friday and has briefed the FBI in New Orleans about Loomis' alleged activity, according to sources. If proven, the allegations could be both a violation of NFL rules and potentially a federal crime, according to legal sources. The federal Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) of 1986 prohibits any person from intercepting communications from another person using an electronic or mechanical device...

Greg Bensel, Saints vice president of communications, said Monday afternoon on behalf of the Saints and Loomis: "This is 1,000 percent false. This is 1,000 percent inaccurate."

read more: http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...-loomis-eavesdrop-opposing-coaches-home-games

2. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

:kubepalm:

Oh boy, the hits just keep on coming for the Saints.

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Holy poo poo. How do they spin this? If proven, I think one of the punishments would be to have the Super Bowl taken away.

4. Fili

Fili All Pro

They're in deep **** now....

5. Playoffs

Bill Polian is questioning, among other things, any competitive advantage that might realistically be gained.

6. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Personally, I'd be more worried about jail than a competitive advantage.....

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

So the feds can do it but you can't in your own facility? j/k kind of.

Man the Saints are working hard on giving away their championship.

8. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Noone and I mean noone, especially if your team is the Saints, messes with The NFL's chance to have Brett Favre and Peyton Manning playing against each other in a Super Bowl. NOONE!!!!!

9. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

damn, if all this is true, the Patriots and Belicheat is looking like a choir boy compared to the Saints staff

10. powda

powda Hall of Fame

A judge would have to sign a warrant 2 make it legal lol. Unless ofcourse the opposing coaching staff was in custody. Almost all of those laws go out the door if its applied 2 a person in custody.

You can now expect everyone 2 distance themselves from loomis as fast as possible. You thought the bonds/ clemens congresional hearings were a waste of tax dollars? Just wait. If theres any credibility 2 this claim its going 2 get real ugly real fast.

11. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

...and if they'd been honest about the bounty system, they might even be believed. Today? Not a chance in ****.

12. GP

GP Go Texans!

If this is true, then wowzers.

Listening to pre-game and halftime discussions by opposing teams is the lowest of lows in sportsmanship.

If true, that team is rotten to the core. I also think it might be somewhat ethical of the NFL to strip them of their Super Bowl title and give it to the Colts...and I hate the Colts, but I love the game itself more.

At the very least, put an asterisk beside the Saints' name...

*It is uncertain if the Saints won the Super Bowl legitimately or due to knowing what the other team was going to do on the field of play.

And dissacks is right: Can't cry wolf now--You weren't honest about the bounty system, so why would we believe you when you say you never eavesdropped???

13. Playoffs

I think they were saying he was plugged into the opposing team's headsets, which would be more about play calls?

14. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

How serious is the threat of removing their Superbowl? I just can't imagine any sport doing such a thing. Is there any precedent for it in any American sports?

I know it happened in Italy with Juve's title but that was based on 100% proof that they were bribing referee's and it was done in the year that they won the title.

Its a bit different from listening in on a gameplan 5 years earlier or paying a bit extra for a nasty hit, in what is a violent sport anyway.

The Saints organisation is clearly rotten to the core, I wonder how rife this sort of thing is around the league, on the one hand, if everyone was doing it, you wouldn't expect it to come out like this, on the other, you've got evidence that one club has resorted to shady tactics of different kinds at two seperate points in its recent history, plus you've got the Pats spygate, were they just the unlucky ones in getting caught?

BTW, they posted records of 9-7, 8-8 & 8-8 in the seasons in question, if they had full knowledge of the opposing teams gameplan, that is some effort to be that poor whilst cheating.

15. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Quick, somebody dig up Kenesaw Mountain Landis. There's some people that could probably use some lifetime bans.

16. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Well, they were so terrible for years that it took them a while to learn how to take advantage of cheating...

17. GP

GP Go Texans!

Cripes, I think you are RIGHT!

From the same article:

So at first, before Loomis was the GM, the device was to listen to their own coaches on game day.

Then, Loomis comes in as GM and has that device re-wired so he could hear OPPOSING teams' coaches. He even had it to where he could flip a toggle switch and therefore listen to the opposing team's coaches on offense...then flip the switch and hear the opposing team's defense coaches talk to each other. He intentionally made it to where he could hear the opposing team discuss strategy and play calls.

Then, Hurricane Katrina happens....and Loomis SUPPOSEDLY does away with it. Saints won their SB after Katrina, so I think IF they can prove the device was not used after 2005, they can shed arguments about taking their SB title away. But still, IF he did this...then he is a snake no matter what. To consciously re-wire so you can hear your foe's communications??? That's the lowest of lows.

These guys were ordering Nancy Kerrigan-type hits on opponents, and now they allegedly were listening in on opponent's communications.

18. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

The Saints became "America's Team" after Katrina as so many across the nation cheered for them. They are quickly losing all the goodwill they had built up.

19. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Sorry, boss. But I'm leaving the country and disappearing. Needed the money. I sold our technology to my favorite Saints awhile back.........and now the Feds are onto me. Tell #99 I love her.

[​IMG]

20. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

Do you really believe they "did away with it?" No way in hell did he do away with it. I bet, and just mere speculation, it was working so well, he had it re-wired after the renovations. Would not surprise me in the least to find out that their 2009 Super Bowl and all the INTs and turnovers they were getting was a result in this...

Desperate men do desperate things...Sean Peyton maybe be far better at coaching than Gary Kubiak and for years everybody asked how the Saints turned it around so quickly...I think we are now finding out how...

At least if/when the Texans when it all, they will do it legit and go to bed with a clear conscience

drs23 likes this.