ESPN: recap of game

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=260812034

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

He looked really bad when ESPN isolated him in their highlight package vs Turley. He looked like a rookie and I'm going to have to watch him closely when I re-look at the game. There will be better days...I hope.

3. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I am going rewatch the game and try to take notice of what is happening.

4. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

jon ruynan 3 weeks to prepare

5. BigDTexansFan

BigDTexansFan All Pro

gee I saw same thing but was written by an AP Writer named Kristie Reiken, guess maybe she works for ESPN or would they borrow (not steal nor plagarize) this so they don't have to work as hard:ok:

6. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

um... He IS a rookie and this IS his 1st preseason game. Did we expect him to break all the records tonight?? Cut the guy some slack. Bush didn't break Smith's record, did he? NOPE...Just checked. He had a little beter night than Lundy. Damn the bad luck.

Runner likes this.
  7. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

We got our Reggie Bush in the late rounds. :)

8. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Except Lundy got in the end zone

9. phan1

phan1 All Pro

Dude, I thought this ESPN bashing of Mario was just some conspiracy theory, but now it's getting pretty ridiculous. In the ESPN cover article, he is immediately compared first and foremost to other busted draft picks that were lineman. Now, our headline in a win against KC is "Top Pick Williams Not Super in Texans win". Come the F on!!! I don't understand what these guys problems are! Are they just F'n bitter or something? I am getting really PO'd here! ESPN is crap.

10. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

They are bitter because virtually all of their analysts were trumpeting Bush as the surest thing since sliced bread, the one can't-miss-won't-miss draft pick for the ages, and we made them all look dumb for daring to pass on him. So yes, they will spout "I told you so" each and every chance they get.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

And he didnt cost $54 Million :cool:

12. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Shawne Merriman--1 tackle--what a loser and draft bust. It was 11 friggin plays--what was he supposed to do, get 12 sacks?

13. Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah All Pro

ESPN wants Mario to be a bust because it makes for a good national story.

They wanted Yao Ming to be a bust also and you could tell because during his first few games they always showed his bad plays. Same thing wil happen with Mario until he proves everyone wrong. Hopefully, he can make Michael Irving kiss the rear of a donkey.

14. Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry Veteran

Two Words or four letters and one word:
    ESPN SUCKS

15. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

What we saw last night was a mix of rookie jitters, a pre-season game and the fact that all of our plays in the pre-season will most likely be pure vanilla. I expect to see some crazy blitzes going off once we start the regular season, and in those I see Williams playing a big role.

16. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

This happens every year. During the draft and camps most people focus on the positives of our new players. NFL games and competition however have a tendancy to bring out the negatives. I'm all for giving our rookies time to grow

I'll stand by my prediction that Mario will threaten for the Pro Bowl in his third year, although he'll get progressively better in his first two.

I was happy with Ryans, Spencer, and Lundy. They seem to be ahead of the curve right now; we'll see in the next few games. Winston isn't there yet, but I think it is too much to ask that all of our rookies be at the far end of the curve already. I was at the game and I haven't watched my recording yet; I didn't really notice Daniels for some reason.

Of course, it is just one pre-season game...

17. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Kristie is the local AP writer covering the Texans. She's no stranger around Texans camp. She's been on the sideline at OTAs, minicamps, and training camp. She is conspicuous in that she is usually one of the few female media types out there.

From what I've read, her articles are usually built around the quote sheet and very general in nature - but this is one of the first times I've seen her take an 'angle' like in the opening paragraph. It's a way to get national attention and is probably true to a point -- but I'll withhold conclusions on Mario until I can re-watch this game and the next several instead of ebbing and flowing with the tide.

One very odd quote by Mario is the one about him getting "tired" from the all the excitement of running out of the tunnel during introductions. What the hell is that? Someone pack him a case of Monster for next game.

AP wire copy can be picked up and ran with by anyone. It's what's most likely to be used in out-of-town reports on the Texans.

18. diehard1192

diehard1192 Rookie

Guys, ESPN is just calling it like they see it. And it is the same way the rest of the country sees it:

HOW IN WORLD DO YOU TAKE MARIO WILLIAMS OVER REGGIE BUSH?

It's not going to stop, so get ready for a whole lot more of the same. Casserly did this to you, not ESPN. Be mad at him.

19. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

You are clueless. Stop.

20. diehard1192

diehard1192 Rookie

So it's ESPN's fault yall drafted Williams?