ESPN Ranks Texans #24 in early power rankings

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gtexan02, Jul 27, 2005.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

2. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

3. kbourda

kbourda Hall of Fame

No need to get worked up about that. It's just an opinion from ESPN. Hey, it's all the more sweeter when the Texans prove them and the rest of the NFL wrong.

4. HowBoutThemCowboys!

HowBoutThemCowboys! All Pro

It's probably because we had the best draft and Jones emptied his pockets for some great players.

I agree that the Texans are getting ripped off at #24. Same in the Madden ratings, only one player ranked in the 90s? What's up with that? You guys will have a succesful season. I wouldn't worry about what the "experts" say.

5. Holden135

Holden135 Veteran

I agree we got a bad ranking but it means nothing. We are still in first place right now. We are gonna have to earn our respect.

6. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Outside of the top and bottom handful of team, argument can be made pretty much of any of these teams to be ranked anywhere. The Texans are in that muddle of team. A logical argument can be for them to be 10 as well 25. For me, the truth is between those two, 15-18.

7. Overalls

Overalls Hall of Fame

The Titans are ranked a little high, but I guess they were cut some slack because of their historical greatness.

8. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

9. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

Guess the Titans don't even qualify as an NFL team anymore? :confused: Detroit did pretty well to be 21st and 27th on the list. I'm guessing its just one of those nights where thinks slip your mind. Happens to all of us.

10. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Snap...!

11. BigDTexansFan

BigDTexansFan All Pro

I will hold with John Madden's opinion of draft grades "The only way to know you had a good draft is 3 years down road how many are starting"...(BTW Dallas only has 2 players from 2003 draft and NO ONE from 2001 or 2002).

As to GREAT players Marco Rivera is on downside of career and they paid WAY too much for a CB, they could have had Phillip Buchanon for same price we paid but had already spent all their money.

I think you will see Dallas same place you saw them last January at home making offseason plans, I think you then see Bill Parcells swim away with rest of Tunas south for Winter :highfive:

12. Htown34s

Htown34s Veteran

What?

Dallas at #12?
    Jags at #14?
    Lions at #17?

Their top 10 look OK, but 11-20 are puzzling to me.

13. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

We not only beat the Jags last year, we whipped the tar out of them -
    both times ! So they got the Jags 10 clicks ahead of us ? Yea, right !

14. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

We are ranked at # 24, so what, even if we were ranked #1..... that and a $1.50 ($3.50 at Starbucks) will get you a cup of coffee. NOW if we are at #24 at the END of the season, then that isn't good and actually means something.

15. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

From a Cowboys fan point of view, this is sweet. Hopefully we can win most of our games, climb up the polls and find ourselves in one of the BCS bowls.

Pre-season polls for college football are pretty dumb.

Pre-season "power polls" for the NFL are worse.

16. Blake

Blake MMQB

Why does he use a team being in the NFC as a power ranking boost? I know you might win a game or two more, but that doesnt make you an overall better team vs. the other 31 teams.

I think power-rankings should be limited to if they were playing the all madden team, who would come the closest to winning.

Not, well they are in the NFC, so lets bump them up 5 spots.

See Cowboys, Rams, Cardinals Comments.

17. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

Houstons allways been picked to be in the bottom because we never do anything huge to get us alot of hype but this is the year that we show why we're vastly underrated by winning and making a run at the playoffs. I say we'll end the season in the top half.

18. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

I think that one of the reaasons that we are so poorly ranked is that we are still young, we have not proven that we can get or protect the QB, and we are not consistent. Even though the other teams ahead of us may have the same issues, they are not only 4 years old. We have to get a little longer in the tooth or into the playoffs to get more respect from ESPN.

19. southtexan

southtexan Veteran

We have to earn RESPECT, I hope that happens this season.

20. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

No defensive line and no offensive line will not get you any respect. Until we show that we have the ability to block for our QB and get after the other teams QB we will be where we are. Its pure and simple. Almost everyone who is observing us is commenting on the same thing, and that is, what have you done to help Carr. The answer to them is 00000000000. Others like Vinny think we will be alright. Who's right and who's wrong? I guess the old addage time will tell holds here.

We are having a problem signing our rookies and you can add that to the list. That may have a big impact on us despite what some think. We have not had to deal with this in our short history and we may have to now. Will that upset someone like Buchannon and will he suddenly want to hold out for a new contract. Strange things happen in these situations. Just like TO has a contract, but he want's a better one.

I think in the back of the minds of most is what will the Texans do if Carr gets injured. The answer is very little and you can take that to the BANK! Sorry about that, but I couldn't resist.