ESPN Poll: Is Schaub The Right Man For The Texans?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Exithios, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Exithios

Exithios Veteran

2. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

interesting results to say the least

3. Rightnow

Rightnow Veteran

4. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

thanks for the heads up, i voted!

5. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

60% think that the Texans got the better of the deal.

We must have screwed up then.

6. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

7. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

i think this poll was posted before.

8. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

9. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Wow 92 % believes DC wasn't the main problem. Who 'd of thunk it ?

10. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

4,3,2,1....move.

11. Slamee101

Slamee101 Rookie

Would most of the Texans fans disagree?

I only say that b/c ESPN has strong influence over the casual fan...and I think perception and reality aren't all that close often times with regards to matters regarding teams that someone doesn't follow. I know I'd always heard that the problem in Houston was the O-line...however in talking to Texans fans...a ton of them seem to argue that Carr was the cause of many of those sacks. However, that 92% just goes off of what they heard more than anything. I can honestly say I was one of them as the last Texans game I actually saw was in '04.

12. The Pencil Neck

I think most casual fans think the o-line is/has been the biggest problem. Some serious hardcore fans think that the o-line is/has been the biggest problem.

We gave up 43 sacks last year. That's not great but that's nowhere near the worst in the league (the Raiders with 70). Lots of teams had that many or more sacks and they still had a passing game. The last half of the season, we had 2 TD passes.... and we were still able to go 4-4 in that stretch.

If you watch our games, you'll see times where the o-line breaks down. You'll see some times when the RB messes up on an assignment. But Carr reminds me a lot of Rob Johnson. A guy that's supposed to be mobile and athletic but gets sacked a lot because he doesn't have good pocket presence and he's not quick getting the ball out. And when he DOES force the ball out quickly, he makes bad decisions on where to put it.

Carr isn't our only problem but he was a big part of it.

13. South Texan

South Texan Veteran

Maybe the general NFL fan base knows more about Capers/Casserly than I thought!

While Carr never developed the way I hoped he would, I lay more blame on the former administration for making way too many bad decisions. One that comes to mind is letting Sharper and Glenn get away with the idea P-Buc could replace them. Going further back, I never understood us getting a starting left tackle that had a questionable medical status.

Ahh, well... that was then, this is now, and so far I like the way the new administration is running things.

14. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't this kind of contradict itself?

15. Texanfan4ever

Texanfan4ever All Pro

No, that doesn't contradict itself because Schaub hasn't spent 4 years on his back and acquired the fear factor of being smashed under pressure that David has had to indure. He might not panic quite so quickly because he hasn't lived that nightmare of abuse. That's why we might have a better chance with him.

16. kcwilson

kcwilson All Pro

Agreed... you have to read the way the question was written...

Part 1 "Was Carr most to blame".... it does not excuse his poor play....
    Part 2 "for the Texans' struggles"... so the definition of Texans' struggles is open to interpretation by the group as a whole.

For Part 2, many people probably think that the running game was a problem because of no DD and no Reggie Bush, and that isn't Carr's fault.
    Also for Part 2, the Texans struggles could have been a bad secondary, no legit #2 receiver for a while, no Oline, coachign changes, bad trades, etc.

How do you define Texans' struggles, which in the grand scheme of things, ought to be "Losing". There are many reasons why teams lose and that is open to interpretation (building from the o/d lines out, poor coaching/leadership, bad drafts, etc.)

It isn't surprising to see 92% say Carr was "most" to blame... he deserves his share and then some, but not most.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I would agree, that none of it is his fault. He got the crap beat out of him because of our ineptitude to manage his career.

The only problem I've had with David Carr, was that for years, he was being crammed down our throat as our best chance to win, & I don't believe he has been, ever.

I was fine with the role he was in last year, and I would have been fine if Kubiak decided to continue on, with David in that role. Our developing QB, regardless of his time in the league.

I was actually shocked by the events of this off-season.

I do believe that this team stands a better chance of winning with a new QB. Not that David caused us to lose a lot of games, but because we weren't very competitive with David behind center.

He's been a rookie QB for 5 years(not his fault), and I'm happy that our new QB is not a rookie. I understand there will still be some developing going on, but nothing like we've seen.

18. The Pencil Neck

No. I don't even consider Carr to be the most to blame for our problems. I put that squarely on Casserly and Capers but most fans were probably thinking of our o-line.

The second answer there is just saying that most people think that Schaub is a better QB than Carr. Even though Carr isn't most to blame, we're still upgrading the QB position and that gives us a better chance to win.

19. Titan "Tack" Fan

Titan "Tack" Fan Hall of Fame

In related news, today I asked a random Raider fan at a bookstore who he wants them to draft and he said, "I want us to sign David Carr and draft the kid out of Georgia Tech."

Thought that was interesting.

20. The Pencil Neck

I'm not going to be surprised if it happens that way.