ESPN: Our Rushing Attack

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansSeminole, Jun 26, 2006.

1. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

They broke down best rushing attacks today on ESPN. They have us rated 22.

2. real

real Guest

Who was # 1 ?

3. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

Dont know, but they ranked us ahead of the titans, colts, and jags.

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Ranked 22 isn't too bad. It's a lot higher than most seem to have us in any given category.

I think we'll finish higher, though. With Sherman coaching these guys and Kubiak creating a dynamic offense, I think many people will be surprised by the 2006 Houston Texans.

5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Seems a little low to me, considering that the Texans were ranked 15th in rushing yardage and 9th in rushing per carry last season. Depending on Davis' health & Morency adjusting to Kubiak's style, top 10 in rushing isn't out of the question.

6. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

You have to rate it on the curve - they are so used to ranking us last or next to last a rating off 22 is like an "A" for us. :rolleyes:

7. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

I still think we're being underrated...we had a good rushing game last year and since then we have upped the passing game and fixed the OL a ton. :twocents: I'm with Lucky on this one.

8. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I wasn't disagreeing so much as I was interpreting the score.

9. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

Offseason ratings and ranking are pointless really.

The Texans will be a top 12 rushing team this year... bank on it.

10. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

It should be no suprise to anybody that doesnt live on the east coast that we get absolutely NO love from ESPN. We should be rated A LOT higher than 22.

11. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Should we be getting love from anyone? We were the worst team in football last season...

12. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

I know what your saying. I'm just saying that I think we should be higher on the rankings. Basically we are very underrated and I it doesn't really deserve to be any different like TexanSam and sprtsfanatic said.

13. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

No, but rational thinking alone would put us higher than 22...but given the bias that espn has it really should not surprise anyone like I stated before.

14. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

I hate to burst the bubble, but as of right now I think that's actually accurate. Our starter is unable to run, Morrency isn't A) fitting the system right now B) healthy. Smith is the only one that has experience and I can't truthfully say he can come close to the performance DD would put up. The rookies might surprise, but considering the situation at RB I can't say they are too far off the mark. Once TC begins we should get a better idea, but right now we aren't for sure. Also about Sherman coaching the line, yes it should be a big improvement however Sherman never learned the system from Gibbs and Kubiak may not know all the nuances and considering the size of the line we currently have I find it hard to believe we will run the same thing as Denver or Atlanta, a variation of the scheme for sure, but along with variations in schemes comes variations in results. I would not expect the same results as a Denver or Atlanta line just yet.

Once the season begins I hope I'm wrong, but if the situation stays the same, then I don't think top 10 will be attainable.

15. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

It's not really a prediction of who will finish #1 etc. in rushing offense, it was a ranking of how secure/certain their rushing games are, and with Domanick's injury history and somewhat little known players at the rest of our RB spots I can't blame them for putting us that low. I think our rushing offense will rank a lot higher than 22nd, but I agree for the most part with their assessment in the context they were talking about.

16. wags

wags Hall of Fame

I don't disagree with you, but quite a few of our rushing yards in the past have been gained by our QB. This IMO makes our running game look better than it really has been on paper.

17. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

They also all agreed (the NFL Live guys) that they love Domanick Davis and that our rushing attack could definantely be alot better than 22nd this year. I dont think it really means anything, but I always like hearing the Texans name spoken on TV every once in awhile.

18. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Thanks for saving me the trouble. We will finish top 15 easily, barring catastrophic injury.

19. South Texan

South Texan Veteran

I have to partially agree with that but...

I think the key is going to be the O-Line, specifically if they can develop good chemistry this season. It's often been said on these boards that Kubiak wants backs that make the one cut and run... not shake and bake all over the field. His scheme seems to be, the line will open a hole my granny can run through... and she's dead. (I would hope even our rookies can run better than she does.) So hopefully, the guys up front will know each other's moves, strengths and weaknesses early on in the season and be able to adjust quickly and give poor ole granny a chance. I also see a big positive in the fact Carr will have more targets for short passes this year including (Dare I say it?) TE's. LB's will have to respect that and this year not all storm the line still leaving Andre in double or triple coverage. So hopefully we will not be seeing run plays every time on first and second downs and a sack (coverage or otherwise) on third. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we may have the right personel to have success with a lot of draw plays this year. But again, the line has to hold up for much of anything good to happen. So I will admit it... Reggie Bushes are fun to watch and interceptions are exciting, but I am one of those that believe football games are won in the trenches (both O-Line and D-Line). If our O-Line can give Carr some time to do something other than run for his life, and our D-Line can keep the opposing QB from having time to take a nap I think with a little luck, which I think we are due after last year, we may be in the hunt for a wildcard this year. (9 and 7 or 10 and 6, beat Titans twice, Jax twice or split, and split with the Colts.) Let's just hope the lines are as good on the field as they seem on paper. Hopefully, the opposing teams early on will read ESPN and take us lightly, and by the time we have some respect we will up to it. It would really be great to be the Cinderella Team this year, so all you magic faries start waving your wands and you big guys up front... GET NASTY!! :redtowel:

20. TexanSoldier

TexanSoldier Rookie

Um, I know I'm a "rookie" poster, but I'm one of the idiots who actually paid for INsider, and I'd like to see the link before I take any of this seriously. I don't care how bad our record was last year, the "experts" know we had a semi-decent rushing attack and with the addition of Kube, I doubt ESPN would rate us that low. JMHO