[ESPN] Len Pasquarelli - Game Ball = David Carr

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansFan.com, Nov 2, 2004.

1. TexansFan.com

TexansFan.com Rookie

Game ball David Carr, Texans QB
    By - Len Pasquarelli

In a battle of hot, young quarterbacks, David Carr of Houston out-dueled Jacksonville's Byron Leftwich and, as a result, the Texans are suddenly 4-3 and just a half-game out of first place in the very competitive AFC South. The first overall choice in the 2002 draft, Carr has made dramatic progress in his third season as the Texans starter. In training camp, Houston offensive coordinator Chris Palmer acknowledged that Carr "just gets it" more now than he did during his first two seasons. That has been tough to argue in general this season, as Carr has answered back at the skeptics beginning to wonder if he would ever live up to his billing. On Sunday, he completed 26 of 34 passes for 276 yards, with a touchdown pass and no interceptions as Houston won for the fourth time in its last five outings.

Link: ESPN Article - Game Ball David Carr

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/peter_king/11/01/mmqb.backs/index.html

3. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Peter King is right on that. If we could get a 2-1 split it would be MAJOR ups for us particularly if one of the wins would be Indy. I think we will have a tough time pulling a win in Denver this weekend. They are on a 3 game losing streak and for them to lose a 4th at Milehigh/Invesco would be a bit hard to imagine, but not out of the realm of possibilities. Tough defense, but with Lynch out we MIGHT be able to get some running working. Not sure how they are against the pass. Probably need to hit the long ball early to take the crowd out of it and before the thin air hits the WR's to hard. If we can get to Plummer by either hitting him or pressuring him while keeping him in the pocket, he has shown that he will throw the INT pretty regularly. Again, like most games, if we win the turn over battle, we rack up a "W".

4. TexansFan.com

TexansFan.com Rookie

I predict the Texans will be 2-1 over that stretch. 6-4 just past the half way point is not bad at all. The remaining schedule:

Nov. 28 Tennessee
    Dec. 5 at N.Y. Jets
    Dec. 12 Indianapolis
    Dec. 19 at Chicago
    Dec. 26 at Jacksonville

5. JDizzle

JDizzle I'm a dude

Our buddy Pete Prisco (snicker) had this to say about Carr :
    While I still think Carr could have had a much better day had our running game been a bit more explosive, I still think he did good.

A 2 - 1 record over the next 3 is a pretty lofty expectation, though certainly not unreasonable. If we can stay healthy and get our running game going, we should come out okay. Also, FYI to anyone with an HDTV set, this sunday's game against Denver will be broadcast in HD.

6. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

you missed one. thats only 15 games.

7. TexansFan.com

TexansFan.com Rookie

Oops! You are right: Jan. 2 Cleveland 1 p.m.

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Rookie

The thing that has impressed me the most about Carr so far this season is his dramatic increase in pocket sense. You don't see him holding on to the ball too long anymore. You see him rolling out in the right directions at the right times to buy himself a few more seconds to make the right throw. In Sunday's game, the lone TD pass was a good example of that. Carr sat in the pocket a few seconds, it started collapsing, so he rolled out. He could have rolled out in the direction of the line of scrimmage in case he wanted to run, but he saw (or sensed) that Dominick Davis was over there to give him a block, so David stepped out around him, and it bought him just enough time to find Bradford. It was a beautiful microcosm (to me) of what Carr is doing right this season that he was messing up in seasons previous. I love it.

9. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

My biggest thing about Carr is his ability to play hurt and when I saw him on the sideline after the late hit, he looked so mad that he wanted the ball back again to make the opponent pay for what happened. Grit. Dude has grit.

10. shinerbock_girl

shinerbock_girl Hall of Fame

Speaking of playing hurt, i was curious about something. Do you think alot of times football players fake being hurt worse then they really are to make the opponents think they will have an easier game against them?

11. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

Yeah it prolly happens alot with players overreacting, but carr already had a tender ancle and it was a pretty bad twist ! But the man is tough and is a player i see us exploting the Broncos D and carr having a 300 yard day !

12. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

See Houston Oilers vs Kansas City in the playoffs with Joe Montana as QB. I swear that dude was faking.

13. jnhcarrfans

jnhcarrfans Rookie

He is matureing like we knew he would.
    it takes time in this league to grow. for
    what he's been through on an expnsion team
    it's amazing to see his talent is catching up.we are
    lucky to have that kid from fresno state. :thumbup

14. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I agree 100%. He stated he was going to watch a lot of film this off-season and it shows. His vision has improved greatly and the scary thing is that he still has a ways to go and will get better.

15. jnhcarrfans

jnhcarrfans Rookie

He's going to get alot better vinny. he did the same thing here a fresno state.once he got the feel for the game he was unbelievable. can throw from anywhere. :thumbup the bullets just keep comming.....