ESPN INsider - Todd McShay Mock Draft 1-9-07

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by JAXwithanX, Jan 9, 2007.

1. JAXwithanX

JAXwithanX Veteran

Thought ya'll might be interested

2. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

That guy lost when he started with the whole colossal mistake passing on RB line.

Get over it.

We improved 4 wins, had a much improved defense and have something on defense to be excited about in the future.

Not excited about taking Peterson at 8. Secondary and DL even OL are higher priorities in my book.

3. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

Hell he mean COLOSSAL? Did he watch our defense the last year? The defense that gave up TWO 200 YARD RUNNING GAMES!!!!

Peterson does not make up for Bush. They are two different backs and I'm not willing to chance a top 10 pick on a MAYBE player.

4. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Actually I thought it was a prety good mock. Micheal Bush...J E T S.jets, jets, jets.

Yes and the press picked VY over Maurice Jones-Drew for OYOR. Go figgure. They'll figure it out eventually.

EYE popping:
    Ginn Jr to the Jags.
    Where'd Marshawn GO ?
    Calvin Johnson to the Bucs.
    The Wolf Cherry pickin' Moss & Samard.z.i.j.a. at the end of round 1.

5. DatTexBoy

DatTexBoy Veteran

I hate when you give your opinion that people try to rip you for not being a fan or that because it's negative it isn't valid...get over your self kiwi

6. joedinkle

joedinkle Veteran

I agree with that, but that's not where his anger is coming from. Almost every mock draft(not on this site) has us taking Peterson. It's like everyone took it personally that we didn't take Bush. As if we ruined their life plan.

7. ESAD2-14

ESAD2-14 TexanAmerican

I think you need to re-read his post (Kiwi) again, slowly. I agree with what Kiwi said, who ever authored that article :deadhorse , probably needs to pull their head out of RB's crack. I however would not mind if the Texans drafted A. Peterson, or DB, or OL, or LB, or DL. So many areas that need to be addressed. I bet I can predict one thing though, that not everyone that is a Texans "fan" or FAN will be saitisfied come draft day.

8. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Peterson is the better back than Bush, a combination of power and speed we havent seen in a while. Bush is more of a WR than a back. I like the pick if hes there, but I dont see him being around at 8th.:twocents:

9. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

Neither do I....I'd be very surprised if he makes it to the 6th spot...

10. TexansCanes

TexansCanes All Pro

I don't think CJ goes to the bucs either. they should take thomas to make sure simms doesn't rupture another organ. the jags taking another pass catcher is strange but i guess someone needs to catch the ball for them. i have a feeling that the browns are going to make a push to get Jamarcus at some point before the draft.

11. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

chris simms isn't the future there, they're not going to draft a tackle because of him. if calvin johnson is there, there's no way that gruden doesn't draft him. simple.

12. GanadoUHCoog

GanadoUHCoog Rookie

are you guys kidding me?

Adrian Peterson is a special special player.
    If he is there at #8 we have to take him

13. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

I agree, but what you probably don't realize is that most of the people on these MBs have not seen what AP can do.

They haven't had his highlight reels shoved down their throats for 6 straight months....like Bush's were. EVERYONE saw Bush's highlight reels, probably not so much w/ AP.

Hey, that's a good idea. Can anyone post some of AP's highlight reels? His runs are awesome! (although I didn't like them at the time b/c some of them were against Texas)

14. TexansCanes

TexansCanes All Pro

it depends on the cointoss but i just don't see CJ falling out of the top three and there o-line is horrible. yeah, i don't think simms' future is very bright but why did the bucs give him an extension then? you live in tampa so you probably know a lot more about the situation then I do. caddy is still there and he needs some holes to run through. unless the raiders fall in love with JaMarcus (which very well could happen), i could see oakland swap picks with the browns and take johnson with the three. it doesn't matter though because at this point mock drafts are pointless.

kastofsna, did Jason Allen do anything this year or did his injury slow him down?

15. DatTexBoy

DatTexBoy Veteran

If Peterson survives the Browns he SHOULD be a Houston Texan...plain and simple...unless of course there is another Mario Williams we don't know about...I think last year's draft has everyone on pins and needles when it comes to the Texans first pick...

Ever since Babin...the first pick has been cursed...I think
    skipped on D Johnson to select T Johnson then well we all know what happened...not a knock on Mario whom I feel will show why is he was considered first five talent...I loved his heart this year...playing hurt and all...but I can't say I would be mad if we select another D-lineman even though I would love to get Adrian Peterson or LaRon Landry with a trade down...

16. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

simms was signed to a deal that's very easy to move, so he's probably going to be traded. i hear the cowboys and raiders want him. both make sense. gruden has never really liked him and simms doesn't fit his offense at all.

allen never started but when he was on the field he played very well. saban kept him on the bench too long; our safety play was abysmal before he started seeing the field.

17. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

It's hard to have "highlight reels" when you're on the sideline with a broken collar bone!:stirpot:

18. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

AP will be chosen before #8. Just wait till he has his private workout and/or combine workout. He will turn some heads no doubt. As will Calvin Johnson. CJ is far and away the most impact player in this draft with AP a close second.

As a Texans fan, I would be elated if AP fell to #8 but the pick would justifiably be met with some skepticism, myself included. He has a lot of wear and tear on those tires courtesy of Stoops and AP's own heart and drive to win. I think it would be a great pick but risky like any other early drafting of a skill position player. I also think it would go a long way towards making up for them pashing on Bush/VY last year. I love Mario, but it was a bad pick at this point in time. no doubt about it.

Texans Wish List - In Order

1. Joe Thomas
    2. Calvin Johnson
    3. Gaines Adams
    4. Leon Branch
    5. Adrian Peterson
    6. Leon Hall
    7. Brady Quinn
    8. DaMarcus Russell
    9. Jake Long
    10. LaRon Landry

If they get anyone on that list in my Top5 we will have had a great draft....Top 10 a good draft.

The writer Todd McShay got something wrong though. I don't think there is anyway in hell that both Quinn and Russell are taken #1 and #2. No way in hell. It is in the Texan's interest for it to fall that way though. It could help a Branch, Adams, or AP fall to us at #8 if it shakes out like that.

Doug From The Woodlands

19. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

a good gm should take the bpa in the 1st rd. especially the top 10, so if that is your top 10 (Long is not coming out this year) you need to put them in that kind of order, not just what the Texans need. should look something like this-

1. Calvin Johnson
    2. JaMarcus Russell
    3. Adrian Peterson
    4. Brady Quinn
    5. Joe Thomas
    6. Gaines Adams
    7. Alan Branch
    8. Leon Hall
    9. LeRon Landry
    10. Ted Ginn Jr.

20. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

In all honesty, my mock was pretty much a BPA rating other than having Joe Thomas over Calvin Johnson. I am not that high on JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, or Ginn Jr. but if a Quinn or a Russell is there at #8 we have to take a hard look at one of those guys or possibly trade the pick and trade down for more volume.

I thought the word on the street was that Jake Long was coming out. If not, you can replace his name with Levi Brown or Glenn Dorsey.