Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

ESPN Insider 7 rd Mock

MikeMc

Rookie
Here is the link for the Insiders:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=2412607

For all others, here is the Texans picks (Mock):

1 - Bush
33 - Winston (OT Miami)
65 - Jean-Gilles (OG UGA)
66 - Ced Griffin (DC Texas)
98 - Will Blackmon (WR/DB BC)
134 - AJ Nicholson (OLB FLA St)
170 - Dale Robinson (ILB AZ St)
251 - Charlton Keith (DE Kansas)

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't we owe the Bengals a pick for Kevin Walter?? 6th rd or 7th rd??

I like that mock.....except for Bush (as you may know). OL help, DB & LB help/depth and DL depth.

I think Blackmon is one of the most underrated players in the draft. The kid has skills. He just hasn't had the chance to refine one position (DB & WR & RS throughout college career).

The 7th round pick they have (251) was a compensatory pick. They did give up their own to Cincy.

ESPN apparently did not give their 5th rounder to the Bills.

Does anyone believe that Winston will be there at the top of the 2nd round? I like him there, but I have a feeling he won't be there for us.

I'd be OK with every selection except Max Jean Giles. He's a MASSIVE guard and in no way seems to fit Kubiak's system.

Sometimes I wonder how much thought is really put into these picks or if it's just the best available player after a certain point.

gilles is a 1st round talent and if he's there in the 3rd you take him, i don't care if he fits the system or not.

That makes no sense. If he really is first round talent he should be long gone before the 3rd. And if he doesn't fit your system then how the hell is he going to contribute at a "first-round" level? Are we going to really change things up just because someone takes a free fall.

P.S. Who out there is refering to MJG as a first round talent? I've seen him pretty much universally a 2nd or 3rd rounder in every publication/website I have read.

The texans dont need the WR because we already have AJ, moulds, walter, and mathis. Also they should address a LB before the 5th round. The 7th round pick should probably be used for a project player instead of a career backup.

I'll pull my comments from the thread in the mock section about this same mock draft ESPN conjured up:
MorKnolle said:
Bush and Winston would be a great tandem for our offense (although I still prefer Mario Williams to Bush). Jean-Gilles is not a good fit for our blocking scheme and I guarantee you the Texans would not select him, I don't know why some of these mock draft places keep having us take him, I guess they don't pay attention to schemes. I don't really like the Will Blackmon pick, he's kind of a combo WR/CB that isn't particularly good at either spot, like a less-athletic Devin Hester, don't think he really adds anything to our team. A.J. Nicholson probably won't fall that far, and while I would like his talent on our team I'm not sure I want to add his off field problems to our locker room. Dale Robinson would be ok there, Charlton Keith is not a DE so I don't know why we'd draft him, he's definitely more of a LB. While I'm not going to complain about getting someone with a 7th round compensatory pick, I don't see us taking 3 LBs in a row. This mock seems to attempt to address some generic needs that our team has without thinking about how many of these guys fit into our current scheme and with our current roster, but that should be somewhat expected from people that have to try to figure out team needs/wants for all 32 teams.

My favorite part about that draft is big school, big conference. Sorry but it is hit and miss with tweeners and some teams get lucky. In general I want guys who have seen the big time.

Geez, how do you even predict past round 3? I know ESPN has all the resources in the world, but I think it's a reach to predict all 7 rounds.

TexanSam said:
Geez, how do you even predict past round 3? I know ESPN has all the resources in the world, but I think it's a reach to predict all 7 rounds.

Yep, after the first 2 rounds, there's no way to know who's going where...........

TexanSam said:
It's nearly impossible. I've seen people try to do it for years and years.

MikeMc said:
Here is the link for the Insiders:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=2412607

For all others, here is the Texans picks (Mock):

1 - Bush
33 - Winston (OT Miami)
65 - Jean-Gilles (OG UGA)
66 - Ced Griffin (DC Texas)
98 - Will Blackmon (WR/DB BC)
134 - AJ Nicholson (OLB FLA St)
170 - Dale Robinson (ILB AZ St)
251 - Charlton Keith (DE Kansas)

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't we owe the Bengals a pick for Kevin Walter?? 6th rd or 7th rd??

I like that mock.....except for Bush (as you may know). OL help, DB & LB help/depth and DL depth.

I think Blackmon is one of the most underrated players in the draft. The kid has skills. He just hasn't had the chance to refine one position (DB & WR & RS throughout college career).

Winston is overrated. Bust written all over him. Would fit right in with our past drafts, though. Jean Gilles does not fit.

I hope this doesnt happen. Take the sure OT in round 1 and then you can get a very good LB in round two.

Trenches said:
Winston is overrated. Bust written all over him. Would fit right in with our past drafts, though. Jean Gilles does not fit.

I hope this doesnt happen. Take the sure OT in round 1 and then you can get a very good LB in round two.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

Winston is underrated. If he did not have a knee injury the year before last he would be a top 15 pick. Bush is a special talent, you do not pass up once in a decade talent for an offensive lineman.

You never draft LB before round 3 unless the person is some kind of athletic freak, and if this is the case he will go in the middle to later part of round one.

Winston is IDEAL. He is just now getting to 100% from his knee injury, which means he is undervalued. He also used to play tight end, which means he has the necessary footwork and quickness to play in Kube's system.

I for one will be crossing my fingers that Winston falls in to our waiting arms in the second round. Anyone else and I'll be uber upset.

bdiddy said:
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

Winston is underrated. If he did not have a knee injury the year before last he would be a top 15 pick. Bush is a special talent, you do not pass up once in a decade talent for an offensive lineman.

You never draft LB before round 3 unless the person is some kind of athletic freak, and if this is the case he will go in the middle to later part of round one.

oh. i didnt realize there were rules on what position you should draft in each round.

in that case then you NEVER take a part time RB at #1.

Well, Winston is underrated because of the knee injury and durability concerns, but then again, have you ever heard of an OL that did not have multiple knee/leg injuries...ask Mark Schlereth! For that, he is dropping in draft.

Jean-Gilles is also dropping because of his size. He is a 3rd rd prospect, but some team like PIT, CAR, or SD will draft him 2nd Rd for his bullish blocking.

Blackmon is more of a DB than WR. I can see him as a solid nickel back with upside to play Sp Teams (even return team). He does have solid hands, so that is important in the Secondary for getting picks. He also has the mind set for both DB & WR, which should help him with route recognition and DB anticipation. He is willing to go over the middle as a WR, and willing to lay the wood as a DB. Toughness is not an issue. Work ethic & coachability will allow him to develop his skills with the right (patient) position coach (WR or DB).

The Texans should draft two LBs.....the top 5 ILBs (after D'Qwell Jackson) are projected to be 3rd and 4th rd picks. So using one of the 3rd rd picks on an ILB makes sense...especially if it is Abdul Hodge. After those two, you have a plethora of 4th rders...Parham, Dobbins, Keiaho, and Williams. AJ Nicholson falls down because of the "C" Word - character.

I would presume the Texans draft a 4-3 OLB. There are plenty of talented ones in this draft for Day 1 picks. My fav is THomas Howard (UTEP), but he will command a 2nd rd pick...not sure the Texans have that on their mind for the 2nd Rd pick, though. So for possible 3rd rd picks... I go with James Anderson - Va Tech. Solid WLB to take on the run. For 4th rd picks, my fav is Louisville's Brandon Johnson. Great size, speed (4.47) and skills. Needs to add some bulk (6'4 7/8, 228), but his athleticism is the key for his development.

I am surprised no one said anything about Ced Griffin in the 3rd rd....I guess many like him there.

Back