[ESPN]: Houston expected to use "high round" pick on RB.

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by dirty steve, Jan 26, 2007.

1. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

not sure how fresh this is to everybody:
    from espn/pasquarelli:
    Insider info has the Texans still taking an RB "high" even with the presence of all the great RB talent on the roster, and the expected attempt of Domanick Williams to return. If AP is there, you have to take him.

2. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

All the more indication they are keeping Carr.

The talent excuse will be removed and Carr's play will have to stand on it's own.

3. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

I dont believe it, its an early rumor, thats pretty much it. I see either a quarter back, or another pick to help the defense.

4. NATHANHALE

NATHANHALE Veteran

Last year, DD said the same thing...has he been working out at the Texans facility, so they can monitor his progress?? I sure hope this does not turn inti another Boselli(sp)!!

5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

If Williams ever returns, it should be under a renegotiated contract or for another team. $3 million+ is not what we should be paying a broken RB who hasn't played football in a season and a half.

And consider the source: ESPN. They have no idea what the Texans FO will do, especially considering what went down last year.

6. Tale Gator

Tale Gator ________

If we have an opportunity to grab Adrian Peterson we better take it or parts of Houston will be in flames.

7. Toro

Toro Veteran

Believe me, if Peterson falls I CAN'T see the Texans passing on him no matter what.

8. texanfan2100

texanfan2100 Veteran

STOP IT!! STOP IT!! STOP IT!! :eek: :eek: :brickwall :brickwall

Better keep Sage close by and healthy. In your scenario, he'll be starting by week 3.

9. Aztequila

Aztequila Rookie

Lets say Dommanick is healthy and we do take AP, should he fall to us, which I wouldnt disagree with... What the hell do we do with all the backs we have. What are the contracts with Dayne, Lundy, Taylor and Gado? Add Dommanick to this. that 6 RBs. How does this play out?

10. TexanFanInCC

TexanFanInCC Hall of Fame

i doubt it. its not like kubiak and rick smith to pursue running backs with early picks, considering that we run the zone blocking...any running back with decent vision can have success in this system. besides, im all in favor of giving chris taylor serious consideration to be the every down back next yr. if they really were intrigued by running backs in the early rounds, then they woulda drafted reggie bush. ill guarantee that the 8th pick wont be on a running back. in fact, i wouldnt be surprised if the texans draft a tailback as early as the 3rd round. kubiak made a committment to getting better on defense when he took mario williams. he is not finished. ill bet anything that the first round pick will be on defense.

i would hope not. kubiak wasnt going to tell mcnair straight up that carr was not going to take this team to the superbowl. he gave him a yr to prove his worth, and the fact is this...carr is out-of-tune. the overhead of keeping carr is too much for what your paying. plummer makes sense because of his respect for kubiak and the fact that he had his best pro seasons under kubiak's tutilage.

11. CoachJim

CoachJim Veteran

IMHO, Bush is 10xs the RB that AP is & WITHOUT the durability issues ... you think the Texans FO is incapable of passing on him too when we have so many other needs? Better keep a fire ext. handy bro.

See above post & reply ...

12. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

I get what you're saying here, but you have to remember, Bush is the anithesis of what Kubiak looks for in a runner. He likes guys to make one cut and go...and we all know that Bush is incapable of doing that for an entire game.

My indications is that we're going defense, but I could see how Kubiak might want to draft a running back. I just have a hard time believing we'd be doing it with either our 1st or 2nd round picks, it clashes with the philosophy that he's learned from Shanahan.

I guess that I wouldn't be too opposed to drafting a RB 1st as long as we sign a big FA on defense. I think that the D's on the verge and would like to see us shore up a S and LB/CB this offseason who can make an impact. I would like the D-line to become a bit younger at the tackle position (Payne is getting a little old and expensive, for example), and maybe a good compliment to Mario on the opposite end, but other than that, I think that with time it will become the well-oiled machine that we all want.

At least for once, regardless of what we do in the draft and FA, I have a great feeling that we'll come out the other side into next season with a great chance to compete. :shades:

13. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Dayne is an UFA, Gado is ERFA. Lundy ($416k) and Taylor ($225) are very cheap. The question is roster spots, not money.

Why do folks keep saying this? Sure Denver hasn't used a #1 pick but they have used #2's on Tatum Bell and Clinton Portis and just last year Kubiak tried to trade back up into the 1st round to get DeAngelo Williams. Don't be surprised if the 2nd pick is a RB.

edo783 likes this.
  14. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Agree. I don't think I actully have heard a person from Denver's staff ever say this. My thought is that you would having a tough time selling me on the idea that the team's needs, the talent of a Rb and opportunity have messed in the first round where you could make a strong argument that Broncos SHOULD have drafted ___ RB instead whatever player that they did.

15. ASTRODOME2002

ASTRODOME2002 Rookie

The Texans #1 draft pick will be the best defensive cb/safety/dt on the board. There are plenty of running backs out there who could thrive in the Texans system and they will pluck one of them with their #2 pick. I look forward to the Texans picking up a strong cb in free agency and then getting a safety with the #1 pick. Defense wins championships.

16. GP

GP Go Texans!

Yes, logic says that your assessment is the BEST scenario for our team.

It's what I hope for. The defense needs another infusion of talent. The TJ draft pick, and the Babin draft pick were completely wasted: Two years worth of first round draft picks on defense that Kubiak is STILL trying to correct.

If our defense was better, I could say there's a 95% chance that we WOULD take AP...would even probably trade up to get him if necessary.

But I think spending the high pick on a RB, knowing Kubiak's preference for RBs later in the draft, is a situation that's not likely to happen.

I would say DT/S/CB and maybe OL as a last resort would be the way our first pick goes down.

Then again, never say "never."

There would be worse things than drafting AP, IMO.

17. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

RB is not the only position where value can be found late on the first day and in the second day. There are plenty of diamonds in the rough, we just need our personnel and scouting departments to be on top of their game.

We are in a sweet spot this year with the 8th pick in my opinion.

18. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

Kubiak himslef said that the team needs playmakers.....I think that if Peterson falls to 8...unless somebody offers a trade that they cant refuse, that Peterson will be the pick...Id love to draft defense too and get a good safety, but I dont think they can rely on DD, Lundy, Gado, Taylor for next year....

Also a lot of people say fans will lose it if they select DL again....but thats where there is the most talent early on (Anderson, Adams, Branch) Leon Hall isnt worth a #8 overall....so unless you are going DL or S(Landry or Nelson) Peterson is the best player and best value

19. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I couldn't disagree more. When we took Mario instead of Bush, I remember thinking, "I'd rather have AP than Bush anyways." Bush has big play ability and show flashes that he can run between the tackles. With AP, you get speed, power, and in-game endurance (I remember OU came back on TCU a couple of years ago without completing a single second half pass). He is a swiss army knife of a back.

Double Barrel likes this.
  20. 2BCF

2BCF Hall of Fame

If we're keeping Carr, we HAVE to use that pick on a punter.

TexanFanInCC likes this.