[ESPN] Checking the polls: Texans

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans34Life, May 4, 2009.

1. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth

Last week I pointed you to links that gave you a chance to chime in on some questions about the Texans.

Here's a review of where things stand over at SportsNation, with commentary.

What's the best case scenario for the Texans?

* Win Super Bowl
    * Deep playoff run
    * Early playoff exit
    * Miss playoffs

Right now, 53 percent of you say early playoff exit. Correct. If things fall into place for the Texans, I see them as a one-and-done team gaining valuable experience.

Is Matt Schaub a franchise quarterback?

* Yes
    * No

Right now, 53 percent of you say yes. Correct again. This depends on your definition of franchise quarterback. But I believe the Texans are in better shape at quarterback than 15 other teams with Schaub in place as their starter and that's a yes to me. Of course staying healthy and not turning the ball over so much could really solidify his case.

How should Texans fans feel about their team as compared to last year?

* Significantly better
    * Slightly better
    * Slightly worse
    * Significantly worse
    * About the same

Right now 60 percent of you say slightly better. Correct. They've improved the defensive line, got a lead linebacker in Brian Cushing and will be deeper and more effective at tight end. But there were no definite upgrades in the secondary.

Which player could the Texans least afford to lose to a long-term injury?

* Andre Johnson
    * Amobi Okoye
    * DeMeco Ryans
    * Matt Schaub
    * Mario Williams

Right now, 60 percent of you say Johnson. Correct. He's the team's best player. And the Texans are a team capable of really lighting it up on offense. If they do everything else can find their niche and fit in. If not, they could crumble.

Will Brian Cushing open the season in the starting lineup?

* Yes
    * No

Right now, 86 percent of you say yes. Correct. And how this isn't 100 percent is a mystery. Who do you want starting ahead of him?

2. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I voted pretty much with the majority. The one exception being I voted "Deep Playoff Run" in the first poll.
    Hey, whaddaya want from me; I'm a :homer:

3. SteveSlaton20

SteveSlaton20 All Pro

this
    :shades:

4. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

I wonder what the Titans learned last year.

5. Texaninlild

Texaninlild Hall of Fame

They learned that they wasted their 3rd pick in the 2006 draft.

SeƱor Stan likes this.
  6. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

This statement makes Vince Young a sad panda.

[​IMG]

7. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

[Mack Brown] what are you talking about? I have complete confidence the guy will be in the football hall of fame some day [/Mack Brown]

8. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

This is the only one I disagree with. While losing AJ (well any of our guys) long term would suck, I don't think that would be the worst for our team. The guy's totally awesome and imo the best WR in the league but we lost AJ for several games in 2007 and we've got a 'deep' WR group. I think we'd lose offense for sure but it wouldn't be the biggest impact.

The way I read the question "least afford", to me means "what would impact the team the most". And that's Mario Williams. Mario is dominate. without him, we'd have Antonio Smith and probably Tim Bulman starting. Connor Barwin would see much more PT but is still a rookie. I feel really good about our DL but if we lost Mario, I don't think they'd be very productive. AJ may be the BEST player but I think Mario is our most Valuable. He got, what..14 of our 25 sacks last year!?

RTP2110 and BigBull17 like this.
  9. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

Goal should be to win the Super Bowl every year. Is it realistic? Probably not. But these guys get paid to win a Super Bowl ultimately not to just make the playoffs and exit.

10. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

Good point OMT. WR is actually one of the deepest postions on the team. One could argue that losing Schaub would be worse than losing AJ.

11. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

You read my mind OMT great post

12. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Really could go both ways with AJ and Mario. After a some thought i have come to the conclusion Barwin might be a big gamble but looking past Mario and Antonio smith we've got no one that we know that can play DE. I'm still concerned with how raw he is though and this somewhat new staff's ability to coach up and develop players.

I'd also think there is a VERY strong case that we can't afford to lose Steve Slaton. Unless Johnson or Foster turns into a gem or we grab someone in FA this running game might grind to a halt.

13. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

I would be torn between Schaub and Slaton. Schaub and the offensive were able to move the ball without Johnson. Remember the other Andre? Davis was effective two years ago. He sort of disappeared last year (which I didn't understand), but I think our WR is pretty durn good, so losing AJ wouldn't cripple the team. Schaub going out for any length of time just scares me.

Losing Slaton means we would have to depend on....uh....who exactly to run the ball? Lose that dimension of our offense and we're back to the Ron Dayne "lost years."

14. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

fixed it for ya :shades:

15. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

The first question seems stupid to me. The best case scenario for any team in the NFL is a superbowl win. "Any Given Sunday" means that any team can win the big game. And if you make the playoffs, you certainly have a shot.

I voted superbowl win. It says "best case scenario." Not "Most likely scenario" If he thinks we're likely to get a one and done in the playoffs, how is that our best case scenario?

16. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

We believe Ron Dayne was the most impactful player the Texans' have ever had.

signed,
    The Krystal Donut shops of greater Houston

Porky likes this.
  17. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

given that your assertion is true, every team covets a Super Bowl win at the outset of the season, I interpreted the question as a "most likely scenario" query. Otherwise, why even ask?

18. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Mario isn't anywhere is as dominant at DE as AJ is at WR. The offense totally changes with AJ out and there is no way we have a top 5 unit again without him long term. With Mario out our bad defense is still bad.

19. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Andre could not achieve his status until he had a QB that could get him the ball on a consistant basis, a lot of parts go into that but clearly a healthy Schaub is the real MVP :specnatz:

20. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

....and when AJ was out, I kept saying over and over that 1 player cannot make that much of a difference, we have other issues. I stated we would improve when he was back, but that everyone was over-reacting.

I was proven dead wrong.

When he came back, how our offense played and how defenses played us changed - it was night and day with/without AJ.