ESPN bits on Schaub

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Maddict5, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

from John Clayton's burning:gun: questions:

and from floyd reese's 'Feeling the Heat':gun: column
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=reese_floyd&id=2916762

Houston Texans: Matt Schaub

personally, while all the texans will be feeling the heat (not only because its very hot in houston, but because of our new higher expectations), i think mario will be under the most pressure to perform at a really high level- its his second yr (no more rookie mistakes) and injury free so he has to justify being taken before the saints HWWNBN and the tack's HWWNBN

2. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

"For five years, David Carr tried every configuration of offense, but it didn't work because of poor offensive-line blocking."

Yeah... that's why it didn't work. John Clayton is a football genius stuck in a Dungeons and Dragons body.

Shaft75, TexanAddict and Kaiser Toro like this.
  3. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Imagine, an ESPiN talking head spouting the same old same old. I always have a feeling that the fluff from Clayton is meant for more casual fans. Simple, black and white perspectives, and easy to digest. After years of watching their NFL shows, I often feel like I've eaten whip cream for supper.

Good analysis [IMO] will often be shades of gray (i.e. our offensive struggles are not the fault of one aspect, but a mixture of elements that did not work out), and can be difficult to pinpoint with simplicity.

4. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I want to hear Ron Jaworski's point of view on Matt Schaub. He's the only ESPN analyst I trust.

5. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

For better or worse, it looks like this whole Carr situation is going to be put to bed both for Carr and the Texans.

Things could get really rough for Carr if Schuab lights it up while he is riding the bench as a backup. Then, when Carr gets his chance, if he screws up, particarly with the sacks another team, everyone will go see...

6. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

But whipped cream is gooood!! :heart:

7. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

The good news is this weekend marks the 4 week countdown to training camp. It will be here before we know it, and FINALLY, all of this offseason crapola can be put to rest, and we can start to see what we have with Schaub, along with the rest of the guys. I can't wait! :devilpig:

8. Double Barrel

I agree. Jaws is the only reason for me to even pay any attention to ESPiN.

9. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow Work'n da grill

And the pressure really begins on the fireball throwing plummer.

IF Young sneaks the Titans into the Playoffs .....

IF Bush gets 1500 Rushing/Rec yards and 10 TDs ....

How many sacks does Mario need to make the pick worth passing on the two?

10. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Can you talk in English? Oh I forgot, you are a meatball fan. That explains it. Does anyone have a Meatball to English dictionary?:texflag:

11. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

In reality it doesn't matter what Crazy Legs and Scatback do. If Mario makes the defense better, has a long productive career, he earns his money and our respect. I just can't see a running QB and 3rd down RB making this team any better than it is with Schaub and/or Green.

12. Blazing Arrow

Sorry I did not shoot something in my post so you could understand. I will try my hardest for the next post.

13. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

They always fail to mention the injuries on the O-Line or the fact that our 2nd best offense weapon was Ron "Bust" Dayne.

But, Mario does have a long way to catch Bush and VY since he wasn't exactly lighting it up last year.

14. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Rookie RBs almost always make a bigger impact than rookies at other positions. Regarding VYoung, talk to me when he throws more TD than interceptions or when he is asked to throw the ball 30 times to win a game. How about eclipsing a 200 yd per game average or throwing for 60% completion.

15. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

There is no doubt that VYoung, with a lot of help from THenry, made a bad Titan offense much better. However, that's the history of most physically gifted, athletic QBs- they immediately make a bad team better. However, rarely do they make a good team great.

Examples that fit this description: Randall Cunningham, Mike Vick, Dante Culpepper are three clear examples that resemble VYOung in a lot of ways...

I'm not saying that Young won't be more successful than those guys but the media, the NFL, and the fans were all fawning on these guys at this point in there careers as well. If Young's path is similar, which it certainly good be, then fans are going to be grateful we didn't draft him last year.

16. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Don't D-Linemen get the same kind of deal as RBs? Imediate impact.

17. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

IMO, offensive and defensive linemen usually take a couple years to develop. Granted, Mario had a debilitating injury last year, so a healthy Mario in his second year will probably be a huge upgrade over last year's Mario.

18. Blazing Arrow

Well I was speaking more of next season and the hypothetical(s) I suggested.

To me a great DE can help a team allot but does not produce as much as a RB or QB. A DE that produces 10 sacks a season would defiantly help but a RB that is throwing up 1000+ yards and catching another 50 for 500 seems a little more valuable in the grand scheme. Same with a QB who has shown he is a leader and was a home town hero.

I was just wondering if the ‘what if’ is still the hearts or not. Is Mario's production this season crucial to justify the pick?

19. Blazing Arrow

When compared to elite QBs rookie season, Young was right in line. Would you say the same of Manning, Elway, Moon, Aikman, S Young? All of them failed to meet at least two of you listed requirements in there first season and all turned out to have a pretty solid career.

20. Double Barrel

I think Mario's forced fumble against the Colts last 12/24 showed a determination in his game. In spite of less than stellar rookie numbers on a bum foot all season, he still played hard and continued to push himself.

Honestly, judging draft picks by rookie seasons seems a bit premature, so this season will be a good indication of where these guys are headed.

I certainly have nothing against VY or RB, but I do not think either of them were good fits for a Kubiak offense. We need a QB that is more of a WCO passer, and a back that can contribute every down (either through the running game or pass protection). Neither of these players fit the bill.

If you look at the big picture, I think the best pick would've been D'brick, considering our need at LT. Mario can still pan out, and I think this year will give us a good idea of what he's about. No hurt foot, starting at one position, a year of experience, and good coaching now, should all be positive factors in his development.