ESPN Asks "The Dumbest Question™" (what if Vick was white)

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by b0ng, Aug 26, 2011.

1. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/...hael-vick-white-quarterback-nfl-espn-magazine

This is actually going to be in ESPN The Magazine. I am in shock at how in bad taste it is. Just look at the accompanying picture:

[​IMG]

Really :mariopalm: :mariopalm: :mariopalm:

2. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

K...I'm not sure how to feel on this one. What if he were an ethnic Albanian? What if I were 1/8th black instead of 1/8th caucaucasian. What if Bill didn't care for alcohol and scantily clad women? What if Joe were known for his calm demeanor and conservative choice of head gear at games? What if?

3. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

So if Michael Vick were white, he would be...George Michael?

chicagotexan2 and Yankee_In_TX like this.
  4. Craig.

Craig. Nosebleeds

Or Kevin Federline

Yankee_In_TX likes this.
  5. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

Stupid and really kind of racist acting as if black people can't operate within a regimented system.

6. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

Would he Wake us up before he "go goed?"
    :thinking:

7. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

8. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

:thinking: Isn't that the basic PREMISE of the criminal courts & penal systems below the Mason Dickson line? :thisbig: :jk:

9. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

:lol: Okay...That...that's just funny. Dude you got photoshop. Can you do one where he looks like a large order of fries? I'm wondering if he would look like "Frylock" from "Aqua Teen Hunger Force."

10. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

It's one of those things that makes problems when theey dont need to be made. What was this picture really going to do? Its a stupid preference anyway. People dont care what Vick would look like white. It's almost like poking the bear looking for some food. Some people are gonna get their panties in a bunch cause its racist. Some will get mad cause they are actually racist and love to get in arguments with the sensitive folk. I'll get mad cause they are all stupid and worrying about stupid stuff when our country is slowly sliding into the crapper. Stop refering to them as black QB's, or white receivers ect...and just call them QB's and receivers. I don't care what color people are, just be cool and lets drink a beer and chill.

Double Barrel likes this.
  11. BetaV1

BetaV1 Veteran

The article was bad from the get-go, but when the writer uses the term "white privilege," is where the thing goes from shock journalism to down right drivel. This article makes a claim that seems to be common with race, and that's one of childhood difficulties. Many whites don't live in your Leave it to Beaver white picket fence neighborhood either. For every bad black neighborhood that contains a kid using dogfighting as a way out, there's a white equivalent with a kid going to town on some crystal meth. While subjective, there are quite a few studies have shown that alcoholism is a major problem for white and hispanic families, more so than blacks. All races face different challenges, but being black in this nation isn't any harder or easier than being white or any other race for that matter.

Porky likes this.
  12. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Not my work unfortunately. But here's another:

[​IMG]

13. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Articles like this actually detract from Vick's accomplishments, IMO. He was a bad QB before he went to prison, and that had nothing to do with him being black. He simply didn't perform the required job duties. He admitted to Jim Mora, Jr. in an interview that he didn't watch film, for example. Once Vick got a wake-up call, he started doing what was necessary to become a good NFL QB. And now that he's become one, his ability to extend plays and scramble make him an even better QB. The man has put the work in and has become a good NFL QB.

But ESPN would rather talk about how he's a black QB. I'd be insulted if I were him.

14. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 IDBLDogDareU

What if Pony Boy was black gangbanger?
    [​IMG]

Waht if Sam Malone was a black bartender/ex pitcher?
    [​IMG]

What if Michael Jackson was white........wait
    [​IMG]

What if Rambo was a black Vietman vet looking for P.O.W.s
    [​IMG]

15. toronto

toronto Hall of Fame

I've worked in Sports journalism for the last 5 years, and not once, in ALL my conversations with hundreds of diehard NFL fans that eat, drink and sleep this stuff, has a single person ever once raised this question.

This was one of the dumbest ****ing story ideas ever approved by an ESPN editor, and the sad thing is that it will sell like hotcakes - he'll get rewarded when I believe he deserved a much worse fate.

Wonder if ESPN was ever going to produce a "what if Tom Brady or Peyton Manning were black" article. I won't hold my breath.

They ought to be completely ashamed of this - I'm no fan of Vick but what they did to him here was garbage.

drs23 and mattieuk like this.
  16. Ckw

Ckw Guest

I don't have a problem with it. I don't think the article is incredibly insightful, but I don't see it as racist. The author is a black guy, and I appreciate the fact that he says the punishment Vick received had nothing to do with racism; it just had to do with Americans and our love for dogs.

He also makes an interesting point that had Vick grown up in a white family with a good dad instead of a dad that did drugs and taught him to like dog fighting, then things would have been vastly different. At the same time, Vick wouldn't be the amazing QB we know him to be today.

I think people are overreacting but maybe there is something I am missing.

17. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

18. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

All the article did for me was re-enforce the thought of black QBs are affletes andso on. Literally nobody should care what would be different if Vicky were a honkey. The first four paragraphs are pure crap.

19. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Really? That's an interesting point? What if Vick grew up in a black family with a good dad that didn't do drugs and dog fighting? What, good dads don't exist in black families?

People are so f'ing ignorant.

GlassHalfFull likes this.
  20. False Start

False Start On # 69

:lol:

b0ng likes this.