ESPN article and video on cut blocking

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by BornOrange, Aug 1, 2008.

1. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

In today's AFC South Blog, there is an article about the Texans cut blocking scheme along with reaction from Mario Williams and Albert Haynesworth, along with a video by Mark Schlereth.

ESPN article and video on cut blocking

2. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

As excited as I am about the new offensive scheme, I do have to admit I don't like the cut block.

Its even more depressing when Kubiak specifically states he won't cut block in practice or against Denver because he doesn't want to hurt those players. But he'll cut block Tampa, NO, and Dal and th erest of our opponents

3. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Where did he say that?

4. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I agree. Football is a violent sport, and injuries happen just because big, fast guys are flying around hitting each other. The cut block seems like a deliberate attempt to injure, though. Sure, the coaches can all talk about technique, and getting out in front, and eye contact, etc., but at the end of the day, they've acknowledged that it's a bigger injury risk by not using it against opponents in a preseason game (if that's what they do). To me, it crosses a line,and it's cheap. I kind of feel like I'm rooting for John Stockton.

I have to admit, one Titan gave a quote that I respect a lot:

Haynesworthlessness is not capable of understanding this, evidently.

5. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Not from Kubiak, but in the article

6. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

I say if you're gonna do it, you have to do it to everyone. Sparing a team because you like them doesn't really help the image of cut blocking.

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

So it is purely speculation by a guy who just recently got his gig covering the AFC South.

8. Polo

Polo Guest

Cut blocking doesn't cause anymore injuries than regular blocking...

Guys just don't like it because they hate eating turf....No one likes their legs taken away from them....It makes you feel helpless...

If Offensive lineman can no longer cutblock, defenders can no longer go at running backs legs...It's cheap...Be a man and Tackle that 250 lb bruiser back up high!!!!

Señor Stan likes this.

9. Polo

Polo Guest

In fact, lets just make it illegal to hit any player below the belt....like boxing....

10. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Damn straight!

Signed,

Travis Johnson

11. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

He's not saying that we won't cut block Denver. he's saying that Denver won't be ticked off about us doing it, since they are used to playing against it already.

12. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

I don't like cut blocks either. We are going to be hated for this, but if that's what it takes to win, I'm all for it.

Brando likes this.
  13. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

That's true. The problem is when the cut comes from the backside and perhaps the player is already engaged. While that's not legal and not taught, the reality is that if you cut block regularly there will be more instances of this happening. Similarly, if you use a punch as an offensive lineman, you are more likely to hit a guy in the face.

14. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Anything the Texans can do to piss off Haynesworth is fine by me. If the last NFL szeason taught me anything, fans will hate a team for any number of irrational reasons. A lot of east coast based sportswriters hate Houston already so I'll be fine with a little more hate if we're winning.

I've never felt cheap about any win my team has had playing football, and I'm not about to start because some opposing defensive lineman don't like it. Sign me up I'm all about going all-out to win.

15. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

It's time for us to start dishing out the punishment instead of taking all these years.

16. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Ya know Fat Albert. I've been wrong about you. You're not dirty. Because driving QB's into the turf with the intent of hurting them AND stompin a mudhole in someone's dome is never dirty. :rolleyes:

Asshat!!!

Goldensilence likes this.
  17. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

To quote an old saying...."Sometimes you're the statue, sometimes you're the pigeon."

Its time the Texans stopped being the statue...:hunter:

:coffee:

18. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

If it's your team ... then we're scrappy .

If it's their team ... their dirty .

Here's to a scrappy season .

19. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

"It's all in how you cut someone. If you make eye contact, if your head is in front, then it's a legitimate cut," Gibbs said. "If you do something cheap, if you take the back of a guy's legs out, that's not nearly as cool. I don't operate that way. I don't do things like that."
    not just uncool but also a clip, right coach ?

Said Daniels: "Say you beat me across the face and then I am cutting your back leg. I don't know if that's a penalty, but that's definitely something guys will get more mad about."
    Yea Owen, that's a penalty because it constitutes a clip as I understand
    the meaning of that term.

If this is really of interest to you, be sure to watch the video featuring Mark Schlereth, former Broncos Olineman who is an authority on this technique. He clearly explains that hitting the back of the leg constitutes a clip and the area to aim for on the cut-block is between the waist and the kneee, not below the knee.
    But there seems to be some inconsistancy in Daniels remarks, and even what Gibbs says is legal vs what Sclereth says ?
    But all in all though, I've got to think the technique wouldn't be legal if there was a real concern to injury to defensive players. Afterall, these owners have been known to pay some pretty big bucks to DLineman and one has got to think they'd object to this technique if it was that dangerous.
    And one more thing, I can't think of anyother technique that is not tested, developed during the week at practice but just used during games ?

20. Heath Shuler

Heath Shuler worst 2 1st

There is sometimes a real fine line between a legal cut block and an illegal chop block (a matter of inches, having your head ahead of the d-lineman or behind) and a lot of fans don’t know the difference.