Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

ESPN+ 7 Round Mock Draft - Jordan Reid

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Not sure who Jordan Reid is, other than a writer for ESPN. Googled him, and came up with a hot model that doesn't write mock drafts. Anyway, Reid took the time to do a full 7 round mock draft (that's not easy) and it's behind ESPN's paywall. Here are the Texans selections:

2. Houston Texans
Bryce Young, QB, Alabama

Houston, which hired coach DeMeco Ryans this offseason, is another franchise in search of its long-term answer at quarterback. Young would reenergize a team in need of a jump start. Despite his size -- he measured 5-foot-10⅛ and weighed 204 pounds at the combine, which would make him the lightest Round 1 quarterback since at least 2006 -- Young has the skill to be the face of this franchise. The Texans also own the No. 12 overall pick, which could be used for a playmaker around him.

12. Houston Texans (from CLE)
Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State

The trade of Brandin Cooks to the Cowboys means the Texans lack playmakers around whoever their quarterback will be in 2023. With 12 draft picks, this could be the spot to get my top-ranked receiver in this class. Smith-Njigba fits exactly what Houston needs. He has the upside to be a high-end complementary option as a rookie. Even though nearly 90% of his production came from the slot during his time with the Buckeyes, he has the route-running ability, quickness and catch radius to be productive from the outside at the next level.

33. Houston Texans
Will McDonald IV, Edge, Iowa State

I went offense on the Texans' first two picks, and McDonald would give them a young and explosive edge rusher for the defense. He will need to continue to make strides as a run defender, but he has the potential to be a player who can generate early pressure on passers. McDonald had 27 sacks over his final three college seasons.

65. Houston Texans
Luke Wypler, IOL, Ohio State

The Texans have a hole at center. With the top free agents off the market, taking one on Day 2 of the draft is the best solution. I gave Houston quarterback Bryce Young at No. 2, and Wypler, who started 26 games at center for the Buckeyes the past two seasons, could be his new best friend.

73. Houston Texans (from CLE)
Daiyan Henley, LB, Washington State

This makes the fifth pick for Houston in this draft, and it can stockpile talent in key spots. Henley is one of the few true middle linebackers in this class. He has the savvy mobility needed to affect games in multiple areas. He had 106 tackles, 4 sacks and 3 forced fumbles last season.

104. Houston Texans: Jakorian Bennett, CB, Maryland

161. Houston Texans (from DAL): Cameron Latu, TE, Alabama

188. Houston Texans (from NO): Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson, CB, TCU

201. Houston Texans (from MIN): Andrew Vorhees, IOL, USC

203. Houston Texans (from NYG): Deuce Vaughn, RB, Kansas State

230. Houston Texans (from NYJ/TB): Brandon Joseph, S, Notre Dame

259. Houston Texans*: Brenton Cox, Edge, Florida

Dear baby Jesus, take this mock and turn it into reality. I’d be pumped if this came to fruition.

Dear baby Jesus, take this mock and turn it into reality. I’d be pumped if this came to fruition.
Not crazy about taking 2 nickel CBs. And McDonald is a better fit in an odd front. But there are some great choices. Latu is very similar to Schultz coming out of Stanford. And taking Vorhees is like trading a 2023 6th for a 2024 3rd.

Last edited:
Not sure who Jordan Reid is, other than a writer for ESPN. Googled him, and came up with a hot model that doesn't write mock drafts. Anyway, Reid took the time to do a full 7 round mock draft (that's not easy) and it's behind ESPN's paywall. Here are the Texans selections:

2. Houston Texans
Bryce Young, QB, Alabama

Houston, which hired coach DeMeco Ryans this offseason, is another franchise in search of its long-term answer at quarterback. Young would reenergize a team in need of a jump start. Despite his size -- he measured 5-foot-10⅛ and weighed 204 pounds at the combine, which would make him the lightest Round 1 quarterback since at least 2006 -- Young has the skill to be the face of this franchise. The Texans also own the No. 12 overall pick, which could be used for a playmaker around him.

12. Houston Texans (from CLE)
Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State

The trade of Brandin Cooks to the Cowboys means the Texans lack playmakers around whoever their quarterback will be in 2023. With 12 draft picks, this could be the spot to get my top-ranked receiver in this class. Smith-Njigba fits exactly what Houston needs. He has the upside to be a high-end complementary option as a rookie. Even though nearly 90% of his production came from the slot during his time with the Buckeyes, he has the route-running ability, quickness and catch radius to be productive from the outside at the next level.

33. Houston Texans
Will McDonald IV, Edge, Iowa State

I went offense on the Texans' first two picks, and McDonald would give them a young and explosive edge rusher for the defense. He will need to continue to make strides as a run defender, but he has the potential to be a player who can generate early pressure on passers. McDonald had 27 sacks over his final three college seasons.

65. Houston Texans
Luke Wypler, IOL, Ohio State

The Texans have a hole at center. With the top free agents off the market, taking one on Day 2 of the draft is the best solution. I gave Houston quarterback Bryce Young at No. 2, and Wypler, who started 26 games at center for the Buckeyes the past two seasons, could be his new best friend.

73. Houston Texans (from CLE)
Daiyan Henley, LB, Washington State

This makes the fifth pick for Houston in this draft, and it can stockpile talent in key spots. Henley is one of the few true middle linebackers in this class. He has the savvy mobility needed to affect games in multiple areas. He had 106 tackles, 4 sacks and 3 forced fumbles last season.

104. Houston Texans: Jakorian Bennett, CB, Maryland

161. Houston Texans (from DAL): Cameron Latu, TE, Alabama

188. Houston Texans (from NO): Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson, CB, TCU

201. Houston Texans (from MIN): Andrew Vorhees, IOL, USC

203. Houston Texans (from NYG): Deuce Vaughn, RB, Kansas State

230. Houston Texans (from NYJ/TB): Brandon Joseph, S, Notre Dame

259. Houston Texans*: Brenton Cox, Edge, Florida
Reid's been around a while. I usually read his stuff as he seems to think on his own, not regurgitate others stuff.

Back