ESPN 2007 NFL Forecast

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by RTP2110, Feb 9, 2007.

1. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

Houston Texans
    Cap room: $16.65 million
    The David Carr era may be coming to an end. Gary Kubiak appears to be seriously looking at trading for Jake Plummer. Where that leaves Carr is anyone's guess. The Texans are tired of losing. It's also possible they could draft Oklahoma RB Adrian Peterson if he's available in the first round, although their priority is a left tackle. This might sound unbelievable for a team that drafted Mario Williams over Reggie Bush, but the Texans would like to add another pass-rusher. This will be a tough year for the Texans. Their schedule is impossible. They face 11 teams that had .500 records or better in 2006. The AFC South is suddenly becoming one of the toughest divisions in football. The Texans are improving, but they might need another year or two before they can think about contending. They have 15 free agents. Expect them to try to re-sign cornerback Dexter McCleon, who did well coming off the street to start. They also have to decide about the future of RB Domanick Williams, who missed last season because of knee problems.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2758756

2. gsus8091

gsus8091 Rookie

Alan Branch, Adrian Peterson, Gaines Adams, or a trade up for a spectacular player. Maybe C. Johnson or J. Thomas. If anyone really truely thinks that 2007 is going to be much better than 2006 is in true denial. The Carr problem seems to be the end all be all to the fans grips, but its not. Its not even close. Plummer sucks, he actually had a team around him last year and blew it, Griese is just a backup, Garcia was late season wonder. In a truely bad situation like Cleveland and Detroit, more like Houston than Phily, he stunk it up. Carr is the best thing out there, thats a fact. Ask Bears fans on other sites what they think. Anyway its all about FA and the draft thats going to make this season promising or not and truely entertaining.

3. Stros5Texans80

Stros5Texans80 Veteran

PLEASE LET Peterson be at 8. He would make so much more of an impact than anyone else imo.

4. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

if the Texans get a franchise LT it would also be like getting a new starting QB :pigfly:

5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

The Texans also face 10 teams with 2006 records of .500 or worse. Their schedule won't look so impossible if they start to play better.

6. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

Him or M. Lynch.

7. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Wait...how is it possible where we face 11 teams with above .500 records last season and 10 teams with below .500 records?

8. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

It's .500 or better (or worse). Because the Texans play 6 games against teams that went 8-8 in '06.

9. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Yes, but how do 8 and 8 equal 500? :tease:

10. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

williams is not coming back. prolonged activity of a whole one day put him out for the season last year--i cant see his knee being able to hold up over the course of a whole season.

as long as they are in most games, i can handle a 7-9 type season. i'd really like to see some continuity built on the O-Line also.
    -i dont think peek will be back.
    -i think the team will sign a DB and an O-Lineman in FA, more likely a safety.
    - i hope our #1 RB isnt Dayne or Chris Taylor going this year, or even a combo of them.
    -i think their three day one draft picks will be (in no particular order)--RB, OL, and defensive line. if a DB isnt signed in FA i think it becomes a day one pick.
    -i think the team will trade down, but not farther than where they think they might be able to get levi brown or maybe marshawn lynch. i have all but given up on the Peterson fantasy.

11. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

IF joe thomas was there which i doubt but who would you take? peterson thomas or levi brown?

12. rickyb

rickyb Scarlet is hot.

I cannot get behind this statement. The strength of schedule is the cards we are dealt. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I don't want to go too over the top with this, but if we expect mediocrity, do not be surprised if mediocrity is what we get. I hope no one in that locker room is expecting mediocrity.

13. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

i dont expect mediocrity, but i do live in reality. those who thought we were a 8-8 or 9-7 type team last year might have not accounted for the spotty QB play, O-Line injuries/defenciences, and the defensive backfield shortcomings. acquistions in FA and the draft are likely to shore up more of the holes left by the CC administration, but it does take time.

14. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

"It's also possible they could draft Oklahoma RB Adrian Peterson if he's available in the first round, although their priority is a left tackle. This might sound unbelievable for a team that drafted Mario Williams over Reggie Bush, but the Texans would like to add another pass-rusher. "

The author is clearly confusing Reggie Bush with Andrian Peterson, two types of players who really have little in common.
    Peterson is a hard-running speedster, a true Mr. Inside/Mr. Outside all rolled into one who may be most reminiscent of another Texas native, Eric Dickerson. Bush on the other hand has continued his college career into the NFL of being primarily a pass receiverer and reserve running back who may or may not develope into a full time back in the pros.

15. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

If we do miss out on him either by choice or another team, we can look forward to possibly having Steve Slaton or Jamaal Charles as they'll could be the next "Can't Miss" prospects at RB.

16. K.D.

K.D. Veteran

Slaton, maybe so.
    Charles, don't think so. Way too small and not enuf bang 4 da buck.

17. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Last year I expected us to finish 6-10. When you're a bad team, you're a bad team and usually bad things happen to you. And we were a bad team. We were lucky to be 6-10.

But there's a really fine line between 6-10 and 9-7. That's really not hugely different. That's really just 3-4 good plays and that's not much.

I'm a total homer but I really think we're just a couple of players away from beign a decent team. Not a great team. Maybe not a playoff team. But a decent team that people don't automatically assume they're going to beat just by showing up. We might end up 6-10 next year but I expect us to at least get to 8-8. If we do go 6-10, I expect it to be a better 6-10 than last year. :)

18. CoachJim

CoachJim Veteran

IMHMFO we could'a/should'a been 8-8 if not for us snatching defeat from the jaws of victory vs. Tenn. & Buff. AT home. :stirpot:

19. valleytexfan

valleytexfan Hall of Fame

I like this!!!!:doot:

20. phan1

phan1 All Pro

11 teams over .500 next year?!? UGH!