Eric Winston, JJo mid season all pros (Peter King)

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Section516, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Section516

Section516 Warrior

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/11/03/midseason.awards/index.html

RT Eric Winston
    Houston Texans
    Arian Foster means it when he credits his line. A one-cut-and-get-upfield back needs to have confidence in his blockers' ability to produce gaps. The powerful Winston is a pile driver.

CB Johnathan Joseph
    Houston Texans
    GM Rick Smith preferred Joseph over Nnamdi Asomugha in free agency. Good call. Joseph's been the key to opponents completing only 51 percent of their passes, down from 65 percent last year.

2. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Can't argue much about Winston's run-blocking. But to be considered an All-Pro, an Olineman must be very good at both run-blocking and pass blocking. That said, my choice would be Duane Brown over Winston at this point of the season. IMO, DB has been doing great this season.

3. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

Eric Winston's obligatory 1-2 penalties a game makes me forget about his blocking ability.

4. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Winston is having a good year overall. Heck they all are! But I don't know about all-pro. That's some rarified air right there. If anyone is deserving of that on the line, to me its Brown on the other side. Winston is having a great time of it in run blocking, but to me he is just a little above avg as a pass blocker and he also gets more penalties then I would like to see. He's good - but great? Not sure I see it.

Joseph - no doubt about it. Another feather in WadeRickGarySmithiak's cap. He is clearly having a better year than Nnamdi and at significantly less $$$. Outside of Reevis, I'm not sure there is anyone playing better. He has been nothing short of outstanding imo.

I would say there is one person missing - Mr Cushing has been an absouloute animal this year. He is physically back to his rookie form, but is mentally leaps and bounds ahead of 2009 and he is dominating. He is the primary reason we aren't missing a beat without Mario. Sure, Reed has done well as a rookie, but Cushing is a monster out there. All-Pro in my book for sure.

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I think Brown is having a career changing year. Both are better run blockers than pass blockers but both are doing a good job on pass blocking.

Just FYI for the thread. On the year, Brown has 2 penalties and has allowed 2 sacks. Winston has 4 penalties and has allowed 3 sacks.

The whole line has bought into the blocking down field scheme. For example there was a pretty ordinary running play to the right and Brown ended up at the right hand sideline making a block fifteen yards down the field. Don't see that often from a LT.

6. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I second that!
    He was excellent in blocking downfield even in college.

But I will take any accolade given to any of our players.

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I'd like to see more games featuring the pounding by our RBs with occasional pass. I think AJ is licking his lips wanting Matt to play action then put one to Johnson. The RB game will help AJ to end up with a pretty decengt year.

8. keyser

keyser Hall of Fame

Peter King breaks the line down by position, so Eric Winston was his pick for RIGHT tackle. Clearly Winston isn't one of the two best tackles, period (I'm sure several left tackles would be ranked above him), but I guess Peter King puts him at the top of the Right tackles. I don't follow the whole league closely enough to really compare, but there's no other RT that jumps out as clearly better.

Peter King (who infuriates me over and over, but at the same time I can't stop reading him...) often seems to prop up players he knows or that talk to him a lot. If you read him enough, you'll quickly find out who are the players he likes (and more than just on-the-field-play goes into whether he likes them) - they tend to get mentioned more often, and seem to get more highly rated than I think they deserve. Peter King knows Eric Winston pretty well - King had Winston fill in for him in 2010 when he was on vactation, for instance - and that probably plays into his rating of Winston. Not that it's not a deserved ranking, just that King doesn't come across as one of the more objective reviewers.

9. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

I assailed him on Twitter for not putting Cushing on that list and he and his minions responded.

Simply UNACCEPBTALE for Cushing to not be in one of the ILB slots.

I can't stand him. Unfollowed him a long time ago, so I wish the list wasn't brought to my attention through other friends. Ugh.

10. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Winston is not an All Pro...but one could argue a spot on the Pro Bowl team. Agreed on Joseph...dude is playing lights out. Cushing is playing at an All Pro level though. At the end of the day its gonna be hard to keep him off that team if he keeps his intensity up...and I don't doubt that will happen. Just avoid the injury bug. Doesn't Winston write on Peter King's blog sometimes?

11. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

FYI, comparing Winston to Brown in this case is wrong. King is making the distinction that Winston is a mid-season all-pro RIGHT tackle. I know pro-bowl voting doesn't distinguish between left and right, but King is doing it here. Winston surely is one of the best Right tackles in the league this year.

12. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I forget exactly when it was, but maybe someone here will remember it. In the first half (I think first quarter), Duane Brown just stonewalled his guy on pass pro. Schaub had quite a bit of time to throw, but it ended up either incomplete or very shot dump-off completion; I can't recall. But what I do remember about the play was watching Brown just thoroughly beat his guy. The poor DL just gave up on the play because he couldn't get by Brown LOL. If anyone has it recorded or remembers the play, go check it out and watch Brown.

13. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Are you talking about the first game where Brown stonewalled Freeney near the end-zone? IIRC, that pass was incomplete but they made a point of showing the replay on that.

14. robroy72

robroy72 Veteran

Unrelated / n00b / foreigner question:

Can someone explain whats meant by All Pro and All American for me?

15. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

All Pro - Best at your position in the NFL.

All American - One of the best at your position in College.

16. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Aren't King and Winston like business associates ? I mean didn't Winston sub Kings column one week, or somehow they have a professional relationship ?
    Brown is clearly the better player, the Texans better tackle because he is after all the LT on our team.
    I think both Cushing and JJ are worthy pro-bowl candidates and I've already voted for both several times, but those awards tend to be all about the stats. For ILB they will look first at # of tackles, for corners obviously interceptions. Without the stats its hard for players on teams like the Texans to make it vs guys with high-profile franchises.

17. Vinnie

Vinnie with an I E

I was thinking this same thing when I saw this. Obviously he let their prior association influence his thinking because there is no doubt who's been the better o-lineman.

18. Section516

Section516 Warrior

All Pro=Best of the best, typically. More prestigious than Pro Bowl, as your the tops at your position, not one of the tops.

All American is college =P

Pro Bowl is nothing more than a mere golden star now-n-days

19. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

King specifically labels him Right tackle in his article. The other positions are also specific to left and right.

20. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

I think Mr. King may have a thing against Cushing. He was one of the main people in favor of revoting for droy when Cushing won and was pretty upset when Cushing won it again with the revote.