Eric Winston is a Beast!!!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texican, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Texican

Texican Rookie

I saw eric winston Saturday @ All Access

All I can say is he is a beast!!

WOW

Just put him on the right side and he can play RG and RT

at the same time

I just hope he gets a chance to play seemed like a real nice guy but i wouldnt want to be across from him on the line

crazy hair too

2. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

I really hoped that he would turn out to be our fixture at LT. But it seems that they will play him on the right side. I think that if his knee gets back to 100% the coaches will move him back over to the left side where he could dominate.

3. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Mike Sherman, Associate Head Coach & Beast Master.

4. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

yah i saw some clips of spencer on tv at the draft, and he looked really good, he was strong, so that he can hold the guys, but he also is very athletic for his size, he will make the texans o-line great.

5. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

You are not kidding. I saw him walking through the locker room and he looked like an extra from Lord of the Rings. But in a good way.

All the pictures of him on the internet do not really demonstrate what he looks like. The slick down hair picture on his draft profiles is as about as mortal as he can look. Oh my.

6. TK_Gamer

TK_Gamer Hall of Fame

I hope Winston and Spencer can win starting spots at some point in the early part of the season, you can call be a bad fan, but Pitts and Weary have never impressed me. they were given ample time to develop, but they just look lost alot of the time. I think pitts could be a good 2nd string guard, but I dont think he's tackle material, and definately not left tackle. anyone ?

7. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Although Winston can indeed be considered a "beast,"
    then so should Spencer be considered "brother beast." As mentioned before by Kub, both will be competing with Wand for LT. However, Spencer (raw but very promising) was specifically drafted with the eventual development to LT in mind, and Winston his book end at RT.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3836526.html

8. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

I was wondering why Sherman had those two ferrets on his shoulder. Now I know.

Lucky likes this.

9. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Two rookie bookend tackles. I think we would be running the risk of hindering player development by putting them in before they are ready. However, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence - this goes double for football rookies. Rookies are frequently thought of as better than what a team already has. When they aren't, people wonder what happened. Generally, NFL competition is what happened.

By the way, our current first team tackles are Wand and Wiegert; Pitts and Weary are playing guard, with only Pitts being first team.

10. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

As far as "ready to play," I've heard that Spenser is closer to NFL-ready than Winston, which surprised me. I always thought Spenser was the one who would need more work, but it sounds like Eric is the "diamond in the rough" and will need more time. I don't expect either to start this year, except maybe Special Teams.

11. jmerog

jmerog Veteran

Definatly, I agree 100%. Wasn't Winston thought to be a 1st rounder on some boards before the draft? Spencer looks like a big ol' meanie, too.

We really added to the lines this year in a nice way. Win the battle in the trenches.

12. Tex Trenches

Tex Trenches Veteran

You got that right jmerog.

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

It's not uncommon to start your future LT @ Right Tackle........ it's also not uncommon to put an aging LT @ RT..... but it's good training for Winston to get good time at RT, as opposed to just getting Garbage time @ LT.........
    I'd really like to see Wand given a fair shot at LT..... I think he is more than just serviceable...... Spencer for the future, if Wand proves to be just "serviceable"

14. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Spencer was a DL first with the U of Pittsburgh and didn't move over to the
    O side of the line until his jurnior year (2004), and then as a guard. So last
    year is the only time he's had as a tackle, and only his second year as an OLineman.
    Winston on the other hand was the 'canes LT in 2003 and part of 2004 before he blew out his knee, then again last year.
    And this is off the subject, but the new LT at Miami this fall is expected to be Reggie Youngblood, 2005 grad of BT Washington HS here in Houston.
    This guy is not expected to red-shirt, he's that good so if he lives up to expecs he should be in the 2008 NFL Draft.
    http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=423&p=8&c=1&nid=1169188

15. Texans Horror

Outside of these boards, I never saw Winston ranked higher than the second round. However, I attribute his status as a potential first-rounder to the claim that this was a deep draft and that many second-rounders this year were of equivalent ability to first-rounders of previous years. TIFWIW.

16. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

Saw Winston up close Saturday ..... between his size and his hair I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley .... looked like a humongous Hell's Angel ....

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

This site Has him ranked as the third best OT....

and being deep in the draft would mean more first rounders falling into the second/third.... If this were a deep draft, and he was only a fair prospect, he would've been projected as a good second day pickup.

18. Texans Horror

Exactly. I was shocked to hear that Spenser is more ready than Winston. I am not sure who has a better shot. Like I said, from what I've heard, Spenser is more ready (mentally prepared) than WInston to play ball. Whether Spenser plays next year depends on Wand's performance. Wand's progression has been steadily improving from what I've heard. On the other hand, this could be Weigert's last year because of age. So which rookie will see the field sooner is still up in the air.

19. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I saw plenty of mock drafts and projections that showed Winston in the 1st round, some as high as the low 20's. I'm not sure where you were looking, but it wasn't very hard, as it wasn't hard to find those projections.

20. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Yes, and that was post-injury. Pre-injury he was ranked ahead of D'brick by everyone.