Eric Winston amongst best RT

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Section516, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Section516

Section516 Warrior

Here's Pro Football Weekly's thorough look at needs in the AFC South.

PFF has also done pass-protection research recently. They rank David Stewart and Eric Winston among the league’s best right tackles in 2009 with Eben Britton as one of the worst and Eugene Monroe and Duane Brown among the worst left tackles.

Part two covers guards and centers; Chris White and Jeff Saturday fared well and Brad Meester and Kevin Mawae did not.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth

2. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

I've seen a few sources that say the Texans have been eyeballing LTs projected to go in the first few rounds. I wonder if they're planning a move to guard for Brown where he won't be so exposed. I still think he can live up to his draft position at guard, but he's been close to a bust at LT.

3. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

Well you have to take in the fact Brown has also only been playing LT for 3 years total now where most LTs have been playing the position way longer. I would say the "bust" tag couldn't be added until Brown is in the league 4-5 years...

4. BigTimeTexanFan

BigTimeTexanFan All Pro

Brown may not be an all-pro, but he is certainly not close to being a bust (I think that term gets over used). Look at your own signature, dude was the starting left tackle for that offense.

5. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Pro Football Forecast and Football Outsides are interesting sites in what they try to do, but the flaws cannot be overlooked. that siad, I have less problem with the sites, but when fans just point to them as unquestioned experts.

6. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

The OP originally had me confused, as the body of the linked blog-post never discusses Pro Football Weekly's analysis of the Texans needs - it just acknowledges they did one, and provides a link to it.

While the next paragraph does mention it's Pro Football Focus's research, I initially read the post as PFW's praise of Winston, and criticizing of Brown, when in fact, they mentioned neither specifically.

(or it could just be that I'm stupid)

7. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Stats are great things when you want to compare stuff. But they aren't going to tell you who's going to win the most games and make the playoffs.

8. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

Thorn said it best about stats. Glad to hear Eric Winston getting noticed for his play!

9. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Goatcheese calls duane brown a bust but defends dunta...... not saying anything just saying

10. Goatcheese

I said DB is close to being a bust at LT, not that he is a bust. I know reading comprehension can be difficult sometimes, but give it a shot.

I also said that I think he can live up to his 1st round draft status as a guard.

I "defend" D-Rob by saying he is a jackhole who overrates himself, and is only the 20-25th best corner in the NFL, but that brain damaged people who think he's not good enough to be a nickle corner don't know what they're talking about.

Man, I really have a mancrush on him. :rolleyes:

11. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

It might be just me, but I don't think Winston did a whole lot better than DB, if at all. I saw Winston struggle run blocking quite often. Which is unusual for him.

12. BullNation4Life

same could be said for those who would be willing to give 12 million to a "nickel corner"

As far a DB goes, lack of experience does not constitute a bust tag, it constitutes a "need more time" tag...

13. BullNation4Life

Mainly because he had an inexperienced Guard playing next to him the whole year. Brisiel and Winston worked very well together for the last couple of seasons. Hopefully Brisiel can come back healthy and pick up where he and Winston left off....

14. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

I hope Winston retires a Texan. He excels on the field and I love catching him on the radio on those clear days that I can pick up AM Houston channels from Austin.

My biggest beef with Duane Brown is that he telegraphs pass vs. run plays. He's upright on passing plays and in the stance on running plays....at least he was his first season...didn't pay close enough attention last season.

I think he's improving though. This doesn't mean that I'm against stockpiling Tackle talent, left or right. You've got to have GOOD depth on the line to win in this league.

15. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I was speaking primarily of this season, but considering I lost my recordings of the first few games due to a switch to AT&T Uverse from Dish, I'll have to take your word. However, our running game sucked when he was in at G early this season too. How much of it had to do with he and Winston? I don't know because I can't re-watch those particular games. :cry2:

16. Goatcheese

Except 20-25th out of 64 possible starters isn't a "nickel corner".

He's definitely not a bust yet, but if he doesn't dramatically improve he will become a bust as a 1st round LT.

17. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I'm pretty sure he fixed that. I didn't really analyze it like I did his first year but I did watch it early on.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, I think he fixed it a game or two after we had discussed it here his first season.

18. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

You might recall, I called in on the "Kubiak Show" on 610 pointing out this observation to Kubiak. He stated that he didn't notice this pattern, but that he "would look into it." The next game, the pattern "mysteriously" disappeared.

19. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

I hope you're right! I had to clear any recorded games to save room for Orange Housewives of Desperate County and Jon and Kate and Spongebob...and all the shows my wife and kids wanted to record. :kingkong:

20. Goatcheese

Don't lie, you recorded them for yourself. :smooch: