Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Erasing an Autograph. . .Anyone Know How?

Texans Pride

Veteran
There is an autograph that has smeared on one of my footballs. Of course, it is signed in permanent maker.

Does anyone know what I could use (if anything) to take it off, and not damage the ball?

Thanks!

There is an autograph that has smeared on one of my footballs. Of course, it is signed in permanent maker.

Does anyone know what I could use (if anything) to take it off, and not damage the ball?

Thanks!

It's pretty much permanent if this is a leather ball but my first question is why do you want to protect the ball? Are there other signatures on it that you're looking to protect? If that's the case, you'd be much better off leaving that smudged (Carr) signature on it.

Borax works very well but I've only used it to remove markings from my walls. I don't know what it'd do to a leather football. Sorry I couldn't be of more help but I WAS curious as to why you wanted to protect the football.

I have a smudged Ken Griffey Junior ball myself but as smudged as it may be, it's an autograph that I'll treasure. I'm an autograph hound.

It just looks bad because it is so smeared....i think it takes away from how nice the ball looks, so i want it gone.

Thanks for the reply though!

Anyone have any surefire ways?

How did it get smeared in the first place? Just not letting it dry enough?

A de-greaser like 409 works pretty good on plastics, not sure about leather. WD-40 works pretty good to - again I've only used on plastic. You might want to go buy a similar football and do some trial and error on it before attempting it on the real one.

Not sure how it got there really. . . Since I live in Colorado, my mom went to the All Access with my tickets. . . .She was nice enought to stand in all the lines and get them....very sweet woman.....

When I got the ball, it was smeared.

Thanks for the tips guys...

If anyone has tried any of these, or anything else, on a ball, please let me know!

I've got a Texans cap with DC's autograph on it and I'm not getting rid of the signature. Part of the problem was that he didn't have a good OL. Anyway, he's moved on to Carolina. I wish him the best of luck. Instead of knocking him on these message boards, let's just focus on our team! It's really time that we move on and forget about what happened in the past. :texflag: :fans: :doot:

I have a game helmet sitting on my desk. It "had" David Carr's signature on the top of it. One day I got to work an noticed it was cleaned by the cleaning crew and some of his autograph faded.

I was really mad.

Then the horrible season happened.

Demecco and Dunta signed the helmet.

And then I wiped away the remainder of the Carr signature.

It looks so much better now.

Denatured alcohol might do the trick (buy it at your local hardware store).

Although I would try it first on a 'test' football to make sure it works.

Back