End of year sack assignments

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by infantrycak, Jan 1, 2009.

1. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

So here it is from Stats Inc. once again:

Duane Brown--11.5 sacks, 2 false starts, 1 hold
    Ephraim Salaam--2 sacks, 3 false starts
    Chester Pitts--2.5 sacks, 1 hold
    Chris Meyers--0 sacks, 3 false starts (how the f'n hell does that happen), 1 hold
    Mike Briesel--2 sacks, 3 false starts, 3 holds
    Eric Winston--8 sacks, 4 false starts

So, 32 total sacks. 26 assigned to the line. Leaves 8 for the RBs, TEs and QBs.

Eric Winston had a rough year. Totally dominant at time, especially on rushing, and flat footed whiffing at times.

2. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Winston for Left Tackle! :jk:

3. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

So how do those 11.5 sacks for Brown compare to an average LT?

4. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Poorly, but Alex Gibbs and the other coaches apparently love him and he has shown improvement as the year went on. For comparison, Pitts gave up 15.5 sacks in 2002 and reduced it to 5.5 in 2003 at LT. He certainly hasn't come out as an instantly dominant LT but this is the big jump off-season.

5. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I liken Brown's season to Winston's, actually. I saw some great things from both of them, mostly in the run game, but they had some rough patches in pass pro. Seeing Brown 20 yards downfield blocking for Slaton was freakin' sweet, though!

6. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I don't think Winston played until his 2nd season. He says Duane is further along in his rookie season than he was his 2nd season

7. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

didn't two of them happen against the Bears?
    one time it looked like he moved the ball prematurely... the other time it looked like he snapped the ball late.

8. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I saw somewhere a list of the LT's and sacks given up and Brown was tied for the worst. I'll try to find that list and provide a link.

9. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Winston started 7 games his rookie year, and played in 5 others.

10. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I think Browns sack numbers will fall just because he doesn't have to face Jared Allen, James Harrison, Joey Porter, and Terrell Suggs next year. Browns rookie season featured a metric shitload of elite pass rushers. 2 of those guys are candidates for DPOY and both posted sack numbers in the high teens.

I'm not saying Brown is the second coming of Orlando Pace, because he obviously has a ton of work to do on his technique (Same to you Winston!). But I think we're going to see a significant drop in the number of sacks both of our tackles give up next year.

Overalls likes this.
  11. mexican_texan

It was only two years ago, but that season is really hazy. It's probably me just blocking out that 2005 season.

12. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

There are a lot of things that a center can do to try to induce the defense to jump offsides and then there are just mistakes. You can doubleclutch the snap. You can move your body like you're about to snap but not. You can twitch your offhand or move your head quickly.

IIRC, he got caught doubleclutching a couple of times.

13. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

The Texans play the Dolphins in '09. Brown will also have to face Vanden Bosch and Freeney twice. Plus a host of young pass rushers who are likely to improve. Both Brown and Winston will need to get better, and I think they will.

14. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

Brown settled down after the first four games, where he was overwhelmed. IMO, he performed as expected and should improve next season. Sure he had some bad plays over the season, but he also had some great games. I'm excited to see the progression he'll go through next season.

15. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

For reference.

Taking into consideration he didn't play about a third of the downs, his sack and penalty numbers were worse than Seth Wand's. Wand was 12 or 14 sacks and three penalties IIRC. And Brown wasn't blocking for David Carr.

He's a first round pick though, and that combined with no Joe Pendry should mean he will get a chance to grow into the role.*

*I don't know what will happen if a player the quality of Victor Riley falls into the Texans' lap though.

hadaad likes this.
  16. Overalls

Overalls Hall of Fame

He also had to face Vanden Bosch and Freeney twice last year. I am not overly impressed by him so far but he was thrown to the wolves with a pretty tough opening schedual last season. He was tested early and often those first four games before he had even got his feet wet. I am willing to give the man a brake on last year. Not that I have a choice.

:fans:

17. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Is Seth Wand even in the league anymore? Are we still upset he was cut or what?

18. RipTraxx

RipTraxx Free Agent

I for one, wasnt a fan of letting Salaam take over every couple series. I say let Brown take his bumps now and get them out of his system. After all he is the future. The reality is Salaam didnt play a bit better.

19. mexican_texan

He was with the Titans and I think the Jaguars may have used him for a week or two as one of their tire patches for their O-line.

20. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

There is no way in hell Brisiel only had 3 false starts. Screw the statbooks.