Encouraging comment on the O line

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Señor Stan, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

From Floyd Resse former Tacks GM on Kuharskys Blog

2. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Time time time.... I´m OK with it, but I doubt that Houston is :)

3. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

It's obvious that Alex Gibbs will be a colossal failure because the Texans failed to run over pittsburgh.

4. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

The sky is falling!!!

5. hadaad

hadaad All Pro

As happy as I am that someone has encouraging things to say about our line, I'm almost as unhappy that it came from that gas-bag.

I can't stand Floyd Reese.

6. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

If the sky is falling, I , as a fan, am here to catch it.

7. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Well, we should be used to it by now. Let's just shove it back up there.

8. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

That's not sky. That's just dirt that is falling from the sides of the hole that we've been stuck in for 6 seasons. ;)

We'll be alright. We just have to get our groove on this week against the Ravens.

9. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

How come the dirt stinks? :headhurts:

10. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Thanks for sharing the article Stan.

Its good to see that other well run FO are giving ours some credit.

Its also nice to see that people are being positive about the direction of our line after it being a punchline for so long.

11. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

I couldn't agree more. All of the "sky-is-falling" fans that have berated this board since Sunday have disgusted me more than the actual game did (and that is a LOT). Geez, you would think you were reading the Cowgirl's MB or something.

The bottom line is, anyone who thought our run game would miraculously produce starting in week 1 does not understand football or they were just dreaming. It does take time for an OL to gel, especially when they are all young players learning a new system. All along I've expected the run game to emerge by week 5 or 6. Anything before that is a bonus.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

A thought about the ZBS .... The Texans have run it on one form or another since the Capers era and it just hasnt worked very well . Hell Denver's ZBS hasnt looked the same since Kubiak left. Atlanta has made it look good of late but a lot of that was Vick's numbers inflating the running games totals (last year w/o Vick they were 26th in the NFL)

I look at running teams and think Steelers , Ravens and Cowpatties (did I mention I hate the Cowpies?). Toss in the Oilers and Redskins of years gone by .... What did all these teams have in common ? Big , Overpowering and Nasty O-lines. Line up and knock the snot outa the guy across from you O-lines that could wear you down from begining to end. Kinda like the Steelers defense did to the Texans O-line this past Sunday ..... Rather than watch the Texans try to out finesse teams I wish they would just line up and knock the $h!7 outa them.

Yeah I know they dont have the personel .... Its just a thought.

13. pappy

pappy Veteran

That is all well and good but that is no mystifing revalation . What is or was bad is that Kubiak failed to game plan options for the offense to go to in event of a meltdown .

14. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

My problem wasn't and still isn't the offense. I went into the season full well this season we're going full blown ZBS but good news is we got the best guy in the business to teach it. We've got Winston locked down long term and Brown has handled himself surprisingly well. Just have to get the interior of the line to catch up. Did i think going up against last year's #1 Defense to kick off the season would help? Not really. But then Again.... my gripe isn't the offense.

It's the other side of the ball that bothers me.... A lot.

15. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

No, that would be Ike.

Seriously, O-lines take time to build. Munchak, Matthews, were drafted in 82 and 83, respectively. Dean Steinkuhler (and Moon) came along in 84. Rozier and Childress came in 85. Highsmith in 86. And with all that accumulated talent we still didn't make the playoffs until 87.

So at the risk of indirectly admitting Polo has a valid point (:bowdown:) we are still a ways off from having that much talent on this roster.