Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Encouraging article on running backs

Señor Stan

El Guapo
Fluff piece? Maybe, but encouraging none the less.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2642

I’m surprised (at our depth),” Kubiak said. “I guess that would be a good way to put it…Antowain is a veteran guy that we’re very excited to get. We think he fits what we do. Then the surprise comes from these young kids. Morency has missed some time, but you look at Wali Lundy, Taylor and Rhodes. We’re very, very fortunate to pick these young men up, and they have been a big surprise throughout this summer. They’re doing a good job.”

Taylor (5-11, 220) slipped through the cracks after rushing for 740 yards on 156 carries (4.7 avg.) last year in a spread offense. His compact frame and breakaway speed turned heads this offseason, but he’s not taking anything for granted.

“This is my type of offense with zones and powers,” Taylor said during mini-camps. “I’m just trying to take one day at a time. I’m going out there every play trying to give it 100 percent. It’s hard for free agents to make the team normally. So I’m just doing my best and hopefully everything will work out.”

Here's a little more on Chris Taylor from an April SI column called "Hidden Draft Gems"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/specials/draft/2006/04/28/hidden.gems/index.html

Chris Taylor, RB, Indiana: Many considered it a travesty that Taylor was not invited to the combine after a terrific senior season. At 5-11 and possessing 4.4 speed, he'll produce at the next level once he adds a little polish to his game.
Lemme see, 5'11" - 220lbs with 4.4 speed...not too shabby. I hope he continues to impress...

TexanFan881

All Pro
I would like to see Antowain Smith cut and us have DD, Morency, Lundy and Chris Taylor. His "breakaway" speed is perfect for our offense. Maybe we can trade Morency, but I know that's not going to happen.

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
TexanFan881 said:
I would like to see Antowain Smith cut and us have DD, Morency, Lundy and Chris Taylor. His "breakaway" speed is perfect for our offense. Maybe we can trade Morency, but I know that's not going to happen.
I don't know how much we could get for Morency. At best probably a 6th round pick. If we end up getting Bennett (not a chance of it happening until Bush signs with New Orleans) then we have a very good 1-2 combo in Davis and Bennett. Antowain Smith is a servicable backup, but he's a 34 year old player at a position where you're past your prime at about 28. It's good to hear that we have depth, and with Morency, Lundy, Rhodes, and Taylor, I don't think we'll miss on all 4 of them. One of them is sure to be a good RB in this league and a good backup to DD.

bayoudreamn

Rookie
texan279 said:
I am glad we have depth at RB because I am worried about DD's knee...
Me, too!!! I don't have anything bad to say about Kubiak, mainly because his decisions always appear reasonable. That's why this one is scary. Kubiak mentioned DD getting some work this summer and he came on one day. Nothing was really said about that by the team. A few days ago, I read somewhere that when he did that one day of work, his knee swelled up again.
I don't remember if I saw that in the newspaper or a magazine, but I read it in one of those. I couldn't tell for sure if there was enough information with the statement to consider it fact.

The article on the site today about the running backs appears to indicate that Kubiak is satisfied with his backups. Does that mean he expects to have to move them up? Don't know that one.

TexansLucky13

53d Signal Batt
TexanFan881 said:
I would like to see Antowain Smith cut
I honestly don't see what that would accomplish. He may be up there in years, but if you let the youngin's spend a few more months with him, and let him train them on into the season... you will see why he has 2 SB blings on his fingers. Either way... we are lucky to have him here this offseason and I know that with or without DD, we have a solid lineup for RB. I am also looking forward to seeing how Jameel Cook will do at FB. I think he is a bit underrated, and he learned from one of the best... Mike Alstott.

JAXwithanX

Waterboy
Does anyone else find it as gratifying as i do everytime i read something along the lines of...."until Bush signs with New Orleans"?

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
"Morency has missed some time, but you look at Wali Lundy, Taylor and Rhodes. We’re very, very fortunate to pick these young men up, and they have been a big surprise throughout this summer. They’re doing a good job.”
I dunno......but seems to reinforce some remarks reportedly already made by
Kubiak about Morency, which is not much or not much good. Kubiak says here
that Morency has missed some time, then he goes on to say "but you look at
Wali Lundy, Taylor, and Rhodes" and "we'er very, very fortunate to pick these
young men up" in reference to Lundy, Taylor, & Rhodes.
It would be just like Kubiak, given his lengthy history with the Broncos and
their ability to develope no-name backs, to take one of these young guys and have the kid kncock out a 1200 yard season.

R

real

Yeah he didn't say much about morency...I think they may end up moving him...

texan279

Hall of Fame
I really like Morency and hope he does well, but I don't think his dancing style of running will fit in Kubiak's scheme.

The Preacher

Waterboy
The more Kubiak works his magic the more I like him. Finding gems is more satisfying than landing studs with your first rounders and often leads to championships as is the case with many recent champs(Brady, TD, Willie Parker.) Apparently we have acquired three guys who have serious potential to be very successful with this club. After years of futility and then worrying about DD going down on every play this a welcome change of scenery. Morency and DD may have to worry about the FO and to be honest as much as I like DD if we could land something in return of decent value I would assume it might be a good idea. It sounds like we could have a solid and 100% homegrown crew with Lundi, Smith, Rhodes, and Taylor. I imagine one of these guys is headed to the practice squad as DD is pretty secure but it's good to know there are some quality backups waiting in the wings to get their shot. Morency's odds don't look so hot and could be another previous FO casualty despite his quicks. I really have no clue how it will turn out but it will be fun to watch. :tv:

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man
I found the article very encouraging. It seems we have a lot more depth than we have ever had. I like what Kubiak is doing, it is exciting.....I can't wait to see how we look in preseason. :yahoo:

aj.

All Pro
I noticed Taylor several weeks ago and wrote about him. Breakaway speed is a bit of a stretch. I don't know about 4.4 either. Maybe high 4.4's. But he made a few of us unfold our rosters.... but then again, so did Jason Anderson a couple of years ago.

jdog

Rookie
bayoudreamn said:
Me, too!!! I don't have anything bad to say about Kubiak, mainly because his decisions always appear reasonable. That's why this one is scary. Kubiak mentioned DD getting some work this summer and he came on one day. Nothing was really said about that by the team. A few days ago, I read somewhere that when he did that one day of work, his knee swelled up again.
I don't remember if I saw that in the newspaper or a magazine, but I read it in one of those. I couldn't tell for sure if there was enough information with the statement to consider it fact.

The article on the site today about the running backs appears to indicate that Kubiak is satisfied with his backups. Does that mean he expects to have to move them up? Don't know that one.
Maybe this is to help in negotiating for Bennett.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I like Kubiak's attitude about running backs. It fits the style of the Denver-type offense. You don't need a superstar-like RB, but instead have an o-line that makes a lot of decent backs more effective. It's why he wasn't sweating the Bush pick, because he knows the scheme is more important than any one individual player.

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
jdog said:
Maybe this is to help in negotiating for Bennett.
Most of that article was from an earlier video with the RB coach. It seemed like it was update with Kubiak in part of the conversation. They appeared happy at the time of the video, so I think its the real thing. It would really make Kubiak look good if we came up with a rookie who out rookied Bush.

TexanSam said:
If we end up getting Bennett (not a chance of it happening until Bush signs with New Orleans)
If Bush signing is what delay is, here are next words we hear...Reggie Bush ends his 6 week holdout and signs just in time for game 2 of 2006 NFL season :pigfly:

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
BigDTexansFan said:
If Bush signing is what delay is, here are next words we hear...Reggie Bush ends his 6 week holdout and signs just in time for game 2 of 2006 NFL season :pigfly:
I hope he signs in time for training camp. Bush will be great for New Orleans I hope.

texan279

Hall of Fame
Scottyboy said:
Oh my dear lord....Stop worring about DD knees... Hes a HB, thats what happens... he'll be fine!!
Sorry but it does not take six months to recover from arthroscopic knee surgery.

Although the puncture wounds are small and pain in the joint that underwent arthroscopy is minimal, it takes several weeks for the joint to maximally recover. A specific activity and rehabilitation program may be suggested to speed your recover and protect future joint function.

It is not unusual for patients to go back to work or school or resume daily activities within a few days. Athletes and others who are in good physical condition may in some cases return to athletic activities within a few weeks.
LINK

TexansLucky13

53d Signal Batt
TexanSam said:
I hope he signs in time for training camp. Bush will be great for New Orleans I hope.
Sure he will. Learning from Deuce and taking advantage of an easy schedule will give him a huge advantage, too. I don't care how he does, though... we only have to face him every four years, and at the SB :cool: