Emmitt Smith:NFL (rules) has lost their mind

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Wolf, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-safety-rule-change-means-160244253--nfl.html

2. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Telling RBs they can't lower their heads is just silly.

3. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

There are going to be alot of knockouts when the RBs start taking it in the chin.

4. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

How many plays would this have effected last season? I'm guessing only a handful

5. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

They are talking about plays like the infamous Earl Campbell one. It rarely happens.

6. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

Prety much every run up the middle where the RB is trying to get just a few yards. Also will eliminate some of theood hits on defense that seperate players rom the ball.

I love football but i am starting to hate the NFL

7. fiasco west

fiasco west Hall of Fame

It sucks but it is only fair for defenders.

Defenders can't lower their head so why should any one else be able to?

8. Cerberus

Cerberus Hall of Fame

If it passes, it means runs like Bo Jackson against Brian Bosworth would be a penalty on Bo; that's stupid.

9. Rufus Jarvis

Rufus Jarvis Rookie

nm.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  10. Rufus Jarvis

Rufus Jarvis Rookie

nm.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  11. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Jim Brown disagreed with him. Marshall Faulk agreed with him.

12. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

So Eric Dickerson hates the rule, claiming it takes violence out of the sport. Yet, he's a part of the concussion lawsuit with all of he former players. Can't have it both ways.....

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

If these changes pass, it will open the door for a new league to start up with the old rules and the NFL will eventually lose alot of its popularity.

The new league will have players sign waivers. The USFL almost became competitive with the NFL as a fall league.

The NFL owners/God'ell think they're bulletproof and are protecting themselves from having to pay out big $$$$ in lawsuits. They probably are going to have to pay out big $$$$ anyway and are going to destroy the integrity of the game. But their shortsidedness is going to create competition within the market. The greedy owners just need to pay the former players off and make the lawsuits go away, or God'ell/owners risk killing the golden goose.

14. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I don't see a new league starting up and having any chance. Not enough talent and the NFL is too big, rich, and powerful. Why would someone want to own a franchise in another league and invest millions and millions of dollars in a team when their chances of losing it are extremely high? They could use that money and invest in a potential ownership group in the NFL and take less of a chance while returning their investment.

15. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

It passed and this like other chicken little predictions will die on the vine and the NFL will remain king.

16. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

Now that the information is out there, and everyone is aware of the risks, signing a waiver is a good idea. If I go to some restaurants and order very spicy food, I have to sign a waiver. If i go on some amusement rides, I have to sign a waiver. If I get behind the wheel of a NASCAR, I have to sign a waiver. If I choose to go bungee jumping or sky diving, I have to sign a waiver. If you choose to play football, you should sign a waiver.

17. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Chip, chip, chip...

The defense is already being take out of the game, I guess the running game is next.

18. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Check out the tweets . . . link

@ArianFoster now they passed a rule against using the crown of your helmet in the open fieldhow are you supposed to defend yourself?

@AdamSchefter I can't believe that they passed the RB not being to protect themselves. I can see the 15 yard penalties against Arian Foster!

Leslie Frazier worries new rule could make Adrian Peterson's legs vulnerable

Adam Schein -I hate the "crown of the helmet" rule. I feel awful for running backs. Disagree with NFL and owners completely.

"@ProFootballTalk: Local buzz here in Arizona is that NFL directed coaches not to bad-mouth the new helmet rule." Of course they did.

Walter Payton just heard about the new helmet rule and turned over in his grave.

Matt forte is 100% correct about this new rule, completely takes the instinctive nature out of football.

Along with the new helmet rule, the NFL has outlawed spin moves to prevent players from getting dizzy.

NFL is becoming an absolute joke....this new helmet rule for offensive players is beyond absurd. A). There is no way a ref can differentiate between lowering a shoulder and their head in a split second B). it takes away the very nature of what an offensive player does...to get low, and become harder to tackle and bring down C). in an effort to eliminate concussions they will now see more torn ACLs, Broken Ribs, Broken Collarbones, and punctured lungs.

19. False Start

False Start On # 69

What a crock of sh!+.... :hankpalm:

20. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

RB Trent Richardson told the Plain Dealer today about crown rule: "I feel kind of bad for the RBs. I feel like it's my fault.'

Haha!