Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ed Reed released

Lord Bills

Destruction
I miss the Post, it was the better of the two papers IMO.
the fourth largest city in America should have more than one newspaper.

Having only one newspaper is a major detriment to a large metropolitan city like houston, not just sports wise.

Once the paper is bought, voice of objectivity and balance are gone. Just look at how no article has ever been written about Joe Marciano's incompetence.

Wolf

100% Texan
So basically we have announcers calling what our plays are in the red zone and reed saying exactly what we knew...running same **** over and over.

I do like gary and wade. But I am thinking we need to dump the horse and wagon and upgrade to one of those horseless carriages to compete in the new NFL

Hell maybe Bob can bring in Dan Reeves to consult first

They aren't leaders... they want to win but they don't hold any weight on the head coach or owner.
"They aren't leaders ..." you gotta be kidding.

"They don't hold any weight on the HC or the owner" ... ??? What does that mean? Not sure what you are getting at there.

So ... the new guy that fails to disclose a serious injury, misses all of training camp, calls out the coaches in the media after getting demoted is a leader ... but

JJ Watt, Andre Johnson, Brain Cushing and Duane Brown are not ....

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
Im not defending Ed Reed for his play. He has not been all that impactful this season at all. .

Now that is said: I am sick and tired of the ****ing dog and pony show that is the Houston Texans. They didn't cut Reed because of his play, they cut him because he spoke out and said the got damned truth! This team has been seriously out coached this entire season. They will cut Reed because he made a couple comments yet they let:

-- Schaub ruin the entire first third of the season and took no action. Only reason Case got his shot is because of the injury. Schaub wasn't hurt he wouldnt have been replaced until after the KC game
--Derek Newton is a complete hologram of a person at RT and his back up has out played him at every chance he has gotten, yet he STILL starts
--Randy "fatass aggie" Bullock missed field goals in week 1 and continues to miss even now and has cost them the past two games, yet nothing is done.
--Joe Marciano, special teams coach, runs the worst special teams unit for two consecutive seasons now and nothing is done
--Our OLB's are trash and nothing is done

Yet Ed got cut because he spoke the damned truth!

The inability to make ANY adjustments during a game is infuriating and laughable all at once. The CBS announcers quoted Patrick Peterson during the Cardinals game saying that the Texans DONT make any adjustments at halftime either with the lead or without. Look at this entire season and you can see that plain as day.

Either there is a broad change in this organization, I mean the entire coaching staff including Wade gets fired, or I am done with them. We are a laughing stock right now and its like watching drunk monkeys ****ing a football.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
Its sad to say the lasting image I will have of Ed Reed's time with the Texans is this:

:wadepalm:
Technically, he has done his job here. The back gets no additional yardage.

This move just shows the ineptitude of our FO. I argued hard for Quin to stay and said that it would require two guys to replace him. Someone to play the normal starting safety position and someone to play the in the box nickel type position that he played on this ridiculous defensive scheme that Wade runs. We decided to run Keo out there for the majority of the season, with some snaps from Reed mixed in. Just as he is getting back into playing shape, he gets cut? Atleast we got lucky with Swearinger so we can atleast say that we half replaced Quin.

Why do you sign a player that is injured, then cut him as soon as he starts to get healthy? Why do you spout off about how his veteran presence will be a plus but then release him as soon as he starts speaking up? He's right, the coaches are getting out coached and clearly need someone to tell them that they aren't doing what needs to be done. Too bad that came from a player and not someone higher up within the organization.

I'm done with this FO. Stupid decisions this year have done it for me. Drafting Montgomery, who had clear red flags, then cutting him before the mid-season mark? There goes that 3rd or 4th rounder, whatever it was. Cutting Chris Jones, who is then picked up and cut by one of only 4 teams that are worse than us, then promptly picked up by a winning organization. That goes to show that we are closer to the Bucs than we are the Pats. There goes that 6th rounder. Not placing an importance on Quin, who a blind person could see was hugely important in this ridiculous all or nothing man scheme that we trot out every week? Allowing this sorry excuse for a kicker to continue putting together one of the worst kicking performances I have ever seen in a season? Keeping Matt Schaub as a starter when it was clear that he couldn't stop throwing it to the defense or throw it 40 yards. Thinking McCain could ever be a serviceable nickel when he was getting manhandled 2 seasons ago. Not upgrading our special teams with a coach that actually had a track record of success. Getting rid of a good kick returner so we could give the job to ... Martin?? Going into the season with Newton, a ****ty 7th rounder, and an injured rookie at right tackle? Not upgrading inside linebacker when we saw the importance of that last season?

/rant

Off with their heads!

cstyle42

Rookie
"They aren't leaders ..." you gotta be kidding.

"They don't hold any weight on the HC or the owner" ... ??? What does that mean? Not sure what you are getting at there.

So ... the new guy that fails to disclose a serious injury, misses all of training camp, calls out the coaches in the media after getting demoted is a leader ... but

JJ Watt, Andre Johnson, Brain Cushing and Duane Brown are not ....
Its the system man... gotta know and understand the system. ..

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
C'mon DB. The guy was completely stinking it up on the field. You know that. We all know that. So, don't you think he should be the one to talk about criticizing anyone, except himself?

If you're playing bad enough to get benched, discretion would follow to keep your mouth shut. Not really a hard concept to grasp.
We all know this franchise circles the wagons during hard times. So yeah, be a cowboy, not an indian shooting arrows.

Ed Reed might have played this team like a fiddle in the off-season to the tune of million$...and you know what? He may have just played them again to get the hell out of here. He knows how this franchise operates. Push the magic eject button and wipe your hands of it.

Hopefully, McNair chaulks it up to a learning experience. Signing a gimpy HoF on name only for his leadership skills to teach mental toughness is not a good use of your money.

For me as a fan, I've learned to never be optimistic about signing a gimpy HoF on name only for his leadership skills to teach mental toughness.

They certainly did not cut him for stinking it up on the field. We know this for a fact because Newton and Bullock still get trotted out there to get a pay check. And as long as these guys stay in the wagon train, it's all good.

Maybe, just maybe Bob saw how well Peyton Manning looked during warm-ups, that he could also land in a gold mine by picking "another" old man for his team.

:roast:

chenjy9

Rookie
So the real question is not whether or not he should be cut, but rather why he was cut then. Hopefully it was because as a player Reed sucks and that means Bullocks, Marciano, Newton, Schaub, McCain, OC, and Kubiak. If it was because he spoke out, well that sends a clear message to players with character that we value stupidity and deceit over performance and winning.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
So the real question is not whether or not he should be cut, but rather why he was cut then. Hopefully it was because as a player Reed sucks and that means Bullocks, Marciano, Newton, Schaub, McCain, OC, and Kubiak. If it was because he spoke out, well that sends a clear message to players with character that we value stupidity and deceit over performance and winning.
That is oversimplification and poor logic:

Other factors like:

1. ability to find a suitable replacement
2. Salary cap ramifications
3. intangibles that we aren't fully privy to

** Antonio Smith has been outspoken in the past. He has played out a five year contract. Paying a guy $5 million, having him perform very poorly, and also being a public relation headache and not buying into the team's philosophy likely all worked together... If he was playing well, he'd still be on the team. We can be confident of that.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
A guy speaks his mind, has a voice of his own, lets his opinion be known and what do we do?

We cut and release him. 3 guys, two young talented players smoke weed (cigars whatever) and we cut them straight out.

This Zero Tolerance Draconian style Philosophy HAS. GOT. TO. STOP.
Really? They didn't cut anyone contributing to the team, at all... I don't see any zero tolerance philosophy from that...

As a Cowboy fan in the Jimmy Johnson era- Jimmy gave a lot of rope to quality players (which has been well documented). However, when a mediocre player or non-essential player screwed up, he dumped him immediately.

The Texans clearly have a different talent acquisition policy than that Cowboy team did (prioritizing character more highly). However, I don't see any sign that they are less tolerant or more reactionary to players on the team. Maybe his comments were an excuse to cut dead weight... But, dead weight is dead weight. They tolerated Dunta Robinson until he was utterly worthless. They have handled Antonio Smith throughout the five years of his contract. Pollard was vocal as well and the Texans didn't cut him during a season and only let him go after his atrocious on field performance throughout 2010.

eriadoc

Texan-American
They didn't cut Reed because of his play, they cut him because he spoke out and said the got damned truth! This team has been seriously out coached this entire season.
I could get with that if Reed had come out and said the Texans were outcoached because they decided to sign and play an old, slow, washed up, gimp hipped, sorry ass safety. If he had said those words, then I'd be all about him telling the truth.

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
I could get with that if Reed had come out and said the Texans were outcoached because they decided to sign and play an old, slow, washed up, gimp hipped, sorry ass safety. If he had said those words, then I'd be all about him telling the truth.
Has this team been out coached? yes or no.

Hate Ed and all his production but he told the truth. If you cant see then you don't understand the game period.

Wolf

100% Texan
It was a combo of both.. Talked the talk...then someone younger and cheaper was doing as good as he. So cut bait. If Texans had a good record they would have talked privately and kept him around for veteran support. But defense is sucking And team out of contention..sooo lets clear salary cap early

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
I already said - every time they put Ed Reed on the field. Or hired him.
Why do you keep mentioning that? They have been out coached, out classed and pretty much just outed all damn season long. Blame Ed Reed all you want but my point stands: he spoke the truth and some of you just don't want to hear it

This franchise is **** at this point

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Why do you keep mentioning that? They have been out coached, out classed and pretty much just outed all damn season long. Blame Ed Reed all you want but my point stands: he spoke the truth and some of you just don't want to hear it

This franchise is **** at this point
Ed Reed did speak the truth. That doesn't mean it wasn't a good idea to cut him.

eriadoc

Texan-American
Why do you keep mentioning that?
Was it a good coaching decision to hire Ed Reed? Yes or no?

Was it a good coaching decision to play Ed Reed? Yes or no?

When you answer those, you'll understand why I keep bringing it up. This team has been outcoached in part BECAUSE OF Ed Reed. So yeah, he spoke the truth. I just fail to see how that puts him above the fray in your eyes. Hell, firing his slow, decrepit, no hip having, sorry ass is the second best coaching decision the Texans have made this year. So maybe they're finally on the right track.

drs23

Veteran
According to justtxyank at clutchfans, credible insider, the way they handled the reed situation was not pretty and the football operations side along with Kubiak are in serious trouble, according to his source.
So the janitor has been outed?? :kitten:

Wolf

100% Texan

When you answer those, you'll understand why I keep bringing it up. This team has been outcoached in part BECAUSE OF Ed Reed. So yeah, he spoke the truth. I just fail to see how that puts him above the fray in your eyes. Hell, firing his slow, decrepit, no hip having, sorry ass is the second best coaching decision the Texans have made this year. So maybe they're finally on the right track.
I was ok with the reed signing ESP after drafting DJ. I looked as reed as someone that could bring experience to a defense that will go up against Manning and Brady in the playoffs. That is when things count

However. Our defense sucks beside Watt and can't generate a pass rush worth ****. So without a pass rush. We see what is happening to JJo and KJ and rest of the crew

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
Ed Reed did speak the truth. That doesn't mean it wasn't a good idea to cut him.
I never said it wasn't. Go re read my first post in this matter.

Same here: go re read my original post. It doesn't put him above it but I DO have huge issues with people acting like "oh its about time he sucks!". He spoke the truth and got cut because of it yet Schaub, Marciano, Newton, Kubiak, Philips, fat kicker, Reed/Mercilus,.....(need I keep going?) just get a damn pass.

The ownership of this team ahs the wool pulled over peoples eyes and you devour the slop they put in front of you, thank them and then ask for seconds.

eriadoc

Texan-American
I was ok with the reed signing ESP after drafting DJ.
I wanted DJ Swearinger in the draft before we ever let Quin go. I was against the Ed Reed signing from the start. I thought Quin was a good player that should have been retained, or at least have his departure planned for by drafting a safety the year before or something. Ed Reed was his replacement plan. IMO at the time, it didn't take a genius to figure out that was going to suck.

drs23

Veteran
Agreed.

And also, right before saying that he said that the team played well but in "certain situations we were outplayed and out coached"

It can't be because of that statement. There has to be more to it because that is nothing.
Agree for sure. Something here doesn't pass the smell test. I'm on record along with several others as saying this was another A. Green signing which McNair said we wouldn't ever do again and then he championed the chasing of Reed. Consistency? I think not.

go texans?

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
Wow Texans are building a case when it comes to how fast they can release black players versus white players just sayin...

RICK SMITH IS RACIST AGAINST BLA...

Never mind, carry on. Just sayin...

Really??? REALLY?????

WOW Wow to the bolded!! That's pretty much one of the most ridiculous posts I have ever seen!

There were some other responses to cstyles posts that I wanted to quote but couldn't find them.....

*EDIT*

EFF ME!! Apparently I've been so absentee that I don't remember how to "bold" someone's quote!! FML!

:facepalm: Bill!!

Naija Texan

Waterboy
Honestly, to me this move makes the Texans coaches look worst then Reed.

His comment wasn't exactly a grievous insult and most real fans knew he was right, even if they didn't like him being the one to say it. The fact that they cut him a day or two after saying something slightly inflammatory, seems like either they couldn't take criticism (despite it being warranted with how this team has collapsed) or they are trying to appear tough with a move that seems bold on paper but is really just flaccid.

Meanwhile Brice McCain is likely to start for us if either Jonathan Joseph or Kareem Jackson get hurt... February can't come soon enough.

Wolf

100% Texan
I wanted DJ Swearinger in the draft before we ever let Quin go. I was against the Ed Reed signing from the start. I thought Quin was a good player that should have been retained, or at least have his departure planned for by drafting a safety the year before or something. Ed Reed was his replacement plan. IMO at the time, it didn't take a genius to figure out that was going to suck.
Like I mentioned. Good or bad. I figured he was brought in short term as an answer to Brady and manning. that was all, plus obviously Watts greatest season ever as a. 3-4 DE hid a lot of our defensive weaknesses that McNair, the coaches, and the fans didn't see what was coming this season

Really??? REALLY?????

WOW Wow to the bolded!! That's pretty much one of the most ridiculous posts I have ever seen!

There were some other responses to cstyles posts that I wanted to quote but couldn't find them.....

*EDIT*

EFF ME!! Apparently I've been so absentee that I don't remember how to "bold" someone's quote!! FML!

Lol. I'm fairly certain both posters were bs'ing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cstyle42

Rookie
Really??? REALLY?????

*EDIT*

It sounds crazy now but so did Schaub sucks 5 years ago... 5 years from now everyone will know. At the end of the season the people that are really the problem like Schaub, Kubiak, Special teams coach and Kicker will be cut with class not in middle of the season like Reed, Jefferson, Wood, Montgomery and Dobbins. Only thing that makes sense is to bring up how the salary cap would be affected by each guy. Maybe that's just how the cards fell. It would have been better to just get rid of everyone at the end of the season but it's Bob's club not mine.

cstyle42

Rookie
Surely Cush does. He's white. :kitten::kitten:
Cush is a good guy but he got his money and he's hurt he has his health to think about. He's said things on the sideline in games that I like but he won't ever direct that to the coaching staff, media or owner. Only certain players do that I believe every team needs that one guy so in terms of that Reed did us a favor and in return we did him a favor. Now he can really do what he needs to do retire... with free money.

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
It sounds crazy now but so did Schaub sucks 5 years ago... 5 years from now everyone will know. At the end of the season the people that are really the problem like Schaub, Kubiak, Special teams coach and Kicker will be cut with class not in middle of the season like Reed, Jefferson, Wood, Montgomery and Dobbins. Only thing that makes sense is to bring up how the salary cap would be affected by each guy. Maybe that's just how the cards fell. It would have been better to just get rid of everyone at the end of the season but it's Bob's club not mine.
Allow me to introduce you to my friend Dex.

Mike

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Putting aside the racism allegation, there are cap reasons you are missing. Jefferson, Wood & Montgomery were not vested veterans so they were owed no further salary plus they were being cut for misconduct. Reed will still get his base money but not the $62.5k per game on top (almost $500k). There is no savings in cutting Schaub, Kubiak or Marciano on top of the fact there is no reason to make a mid-season coaching change.

Rey

Antonio was on the radio a little while ago and said Ed was a huge leader for the db's. Said he stood up and said things others wouldn't so or didn't know how to say. Said the guys were always going to him talking about things.

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
Antonio was on the radio a little while ago and said Ed was a huge leader for the db's. Said he stood up and said things others wouldn't so or didn't know how to say. Said the guys were always going to him talking about things.
Ed Reed would make a good defensive backs coach.

cstyle42

Rookie
Lol he was the Django of the Texans... Wade Phillips was the German friend.

cstyle42

Rookie
Putting aside the racism allegation, there are cap reasons you are missing. Jefferson, Wood & Montgomery were not vested veterans so they were owed no further salary plus they were being cut for misconduct. Reed will still get his base money but not the $62.5k per game on top (almost $500k). There is no savings in cutting Schaub, Kubiak or Marciano on top of the fact there is no reason to make a mid-season coaching change.
Allegedly misconduct... why hasn't that story came back up? Was it ever confirmed or not if it was weed or not? Dobbins was cut for what reason not being a good boy showing up to OTA's? Reed was cut for telling reporters the flat out truth. I wanted the team to hide behind the salary reason because it made sense to do so and it makes me feel better. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if the only person that gets fired at the end of the year is the special teams coach. Then a lot of people on this board will be saying darn that cstyle42 dude is crazy but he was on to something. Watch Bob will feel sorry for Kubiak and understand. Schaub will be gone because he just has nothing to offer embarrassed himself and the city otherwise he would have got another chance.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Don't pat yourself on the back too hard. Lots of people won't be surprised if Kubiak and Smith are back even those who desperately want them gone. Of course you leave Smith out for your racism play.

cstyle42

Rookie
Don't pat yourself on the back too hard. Lots of people won't be surprised if Kubiak and Smith are back even those who desperately want them gone. Of course you leave Smith out for your racism play.
I put Smith and Andre Johnson in the same boat guys that are very important to the team and have big titles but are basically just doing what they are told versus saying or doing what they really want to do in their own minds that is best for the team. Lots don't believe that I just know that this is the kind of program the texans run. I respect Smith, Andre, Watt, Cushing, Foster... heck even Ed Reed but to ultimately win the super bowl or at least get there we have to get rid of this program for good. Start doing championship things...