Early thoughts on the Tampy Bay game?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texn4life, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

I know most people have thought that this game would be one of the toughest in the 2nd half of our schedule, but I honestly think this game sets up perfect for us to control the ball and come out with a comfortable win. They're banged up, and almost gave up 200 yards rushing to the Saints so we can definitely run the ball on them. We'll also be playing against our old buddy Frank Okam who will most likely be starting in Gerald McCoy's place. OD and Dreesen can also have big days this week for us. If we take care of the ball we will win the game. Any thoughts?

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Tampa is tougher at home but I don't think they match up well vs us. They don't have a great edge rush, their push up the middle isn't impressive. That isn't even the bad news....their rush defense is awful. Frank Okam won't know what hit him (he was out last week vs Saints).

Josh Freeman has been very very unimpressive this year too. So has their wide outs and Winslow is having a snoozer of a year as well. I don't like the creativity of their offensive scheme....I think they will buckle under pressure this weekend. I don't see the Texans losing this one.

3. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

It looks like we see this game pretty similarly. We're dealing with a young team that's starting to lose confidence in itself so we need to jump on them early. If we get up by a score or 2 then I can see them throwing up all over themselves.

They do have 2 good young wideouts so we need to make sure we keep them in check.
    I'm shocked that Mike Williams has performed as poorly as he has this year. I'm sure it'll be easy to make excuses for them, but the lockout may have really hurt these guys. I know Freeman organized some team workouts, but I can see how young guys could not take the offseason seriously and not stay on top of their game.

4. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    If our D can put #5 on his backside early and often like they're capable of this will be another fun game to watch.

If it's in your area, of coarse. :foottap:

5. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

This team is similar to the one we fielded during our 8-8 seasons under Kubiak. Not a whole lot of veteran leadership and a young coaching staff as well. They are talented, but we are the more mature team, which should make the difference in the 4th quarter.

6. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

I hope we get Marv Albert calling the game again. It sounds weird having him do play-by-play for football but its still pretty cool in my opinion.

7. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

Ahh. My team in the non-Houston football years.

The Bucs are really good at coming back in games. Even if you jump on them, they'll keep playing. Rahiem Morris keeps them going for 60 minutes. Spotty run D, for sure. However, they are very good at getting that key stop that might just keep them around in games where they may trail.

This game is EXTREMELY huge for them. After GB in week 11, they get JAX, TEN, and CAR. 3 winnable games. They get to 5-5, they could very well be 8-5 with 3 games left.

Looking at their defense, they are having MAJOR issues with not only the run, but shockingly, the pass as well. They are at the bottom of the league in both. That said, they seem to play better D at home. The road defense is atrocious. At home, they seem to play better. (NO put up 190+ on the ground at the dome, under 80 in Tampa)

Freeman's putting up more yards, but making more mistakes than he's accustomed to. Bottle up Blount, and like it was said in this thread, jump on them early. However, bury them. They've had games where they trailed big and came back to either win, or lose close but scare you.

8. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

Actually, funny enough, we WILL have Marv Albert doing the game this week.

9. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Williams looks very slow this season compared to last year. No long speed, no real quickness either...perhaps he coasted all offseason and lost a little of his edge like Chris Johnson obviously did.

10. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

This. Jacksonville after the bye will be a much tougher test IMO. Tampa Bay is a must win but it's not the kind of must win that a team gets all twisted up inside over. I think the Texans just go there, play their game on offense and defense, and come out with a win.

11. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/foot...mpa-bay-buccaneers-porous-run-defense/1200474

12. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Sounds like this isn't really a "must win game"... but rather a "must play well game"!!!

13. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Houston's favored by 3 in this one.

I can still hardly believe the good guys are sitting at 6-3. I can't imagine how 7-3 might feel.

14. FirstTexansFan

FirstTexansFan The Unknown Fan

Quit yer bishin.. you're getting laid this year :)

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

We need to pound them with our RBs, Walter and the TEs. Once each half, Matt should play action and catch them asleep. 23-10.

16. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I said this last night.... This Tampa game is the type of game that this team has laid an egg in, in the past. We'll see what they are "really" made of. It won't have to be a lopsided win, but a win. I don't care if it's ugly or not.

To me, it's a big difference to be 7-3 v. 6-4 going into the bye week...

TexansFanatic likes this.
  17. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

Agreed. Difference between 8 or 9-3, as well.

18. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Well, like all Texans games, this one worries me.

I'm not so much worried about the Buccs as I am worried about us. The only way we lose is if we beat ourselves. We're moving into territory new for this club.

We need to come out and pound the ball on offense. And on defense, we're going to get a bigger test than we've gotten in the past 3 weeks.

Let's see how far this defense has progressed.

30-20, Texans.

19. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Absolutely right.

20. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

He is probably returning out of necessity. He has had a significant calf injury. Bringing some back too early after a calf injury increases the possibility of an Achilles rupture, especially in a huge lineman who requires powerful pushoff. I'm certainly not wishing this on him. But I tend to doubt that he returns this week at full strength.