Early Texans 53-man roster projection

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Playoffs, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Early Texans 53-man roster projection

2. DX-TEX

DX-TEX #BattleFightin

Remove one WR and add in a blocking TE. This offense will funnel through its tight ends just like NE.

3. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

No one gets on the IR? :brando:

4. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I'm not sure why Brennan Williams is mentioned in the 53. The dude hasn't shown a lick since he arrived.

I hope he's able to get on the field, but I'm not including him anywhere near the 53 at this point.

5. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I'm cutting Williams from the list and putting someone like Clabo in his spot.

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  6. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Agree completely. I'm thinking the Texans make an injury settlement with Williams and move on.

7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

If they did and let Travardo walk as well, it'll make the 2013 draft class right up there with our worst in history. We'd have pissed away 2 3rd rounders in Williams and Montgomery, a 4th for Travardo, 6th on Quess (not Ricks fault though) and a 6th on Chris Jones who we let go.

8. The Pencil Neck

It is what it is. Better to cut your losses and move on than to hold onto them and try to make them work when they were obviously fails.

The focus should be on fielding the best team not making our draft choices look better than they were.

9. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Was a strange Texans draft... like an alter-ego was making some of those selections.

10. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

The strangest thing about that Draft was that the 6th rounders were clearly better than the pair of third rounders ? How does that happen ?
    But busting on both the 3rd rounders (B. Williams was injured and effectively IRed his last year in college so therefor a big red-flag coming into the Draft, and the choice of Montgomery was an all-time
    whiff by the Texans), is to my way of thinking almost unforgivable, so those guys surely weren't both Rick Smith picks ?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  11. The Pencil Neck

If they were good picks, they were Wade Phillips' picks, or Kubiak's; if they weren't, they were Rick Smith's? Or is it the other way around? It's so confusing sometimes.

The bottom line is that whatever process was in place for that draft was a massive failure but I don't think it's a thing where any one person gets all the blame. There was enough failure in that draft to go around.

Hopefully, this one makes up for it.

12. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

QB: Fitz, Savage, Keenum
    RB: Foster, Brown, Blue
    FB: Prosch
    TE: Fiedorowicz, Graham, Griffin, Potter
    WR: AJ, Hopkins, Posey, Bonner, KMarttin
    OT: Brown, Newton, Yietman, Dima (probably replaced with a FA)
    C/G: Myers, Brooks, Sua Filo, Ben Jones, White

P: Lechler
    K: Bullock
    LS: Weeks

DL: Watt, Crick, Powe, Matthews, Nix, Jamison, Pagan
    OLB: Clowney, B.Reed, T.Williams, Mercilus,
    ILB: Cushing, Dent, Sapp, Tuggle
    CB: KJ, JJ, B.Harris, A.Hall, Buoye
    S: Swearinger, Clemons, K.Lewis, Ballentine, Pleasant/or Mack

PUP: Brennan Williams

P.Squad: Labhart wr, Lemon wr, M.Williams cb, Bullough Ilb, C.Young Ilb, D.Johnson rb, Ferentz c, Warmsley dl

13. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

True Dat, and i think that was part of Kubiaks problem.

14. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

A few things I think are likely to be different regarding the roster makeup under this staff:

1. Playing more zone and focusing on special teams means we are likely to see 5 cbs and 5 safeties instead of the 6 -4 ratio we are accustomed to. Also, I think we will have mor tweeters... Guys around 205 lbs with physicality and ball skills - Marcus Coleman types... So, I think guys like buoyed and Pleasant have a good opportunity to make the team. Meanwhile, one dimensional guys like Keo are history.

2. The breakdown of DL, Ilb, Olb may look strange also, because many of the guys will be expected to play varied positions in a wide range of packages. For instance, Watt and Jamison will be used as traditional 3-4 DEs sometimes. But, I expect both of them to stand up at OlB on occasion or setup outside the tackle in 3 pt stances sometimes.

3. Though I only had 5 wrs on my list, I would not be shocked if we kept 6, perhaps even 7 in future years.

4. I expect the practice squad to be more actively used as a means of depth in season. I never saw an intentional effort to stash needed young depth on it under Kubiak.... I realize the limitations of the P.S. Rules and risk associated with players on it. However, during the season, seldom are teams willing to claim players off another teams squad for a number of reasons.

15. Seegara

Seegara All Pro

I'm ok with most of it, but like Chris Boswell as kicker. Please, God, anybody but Bullock!

My impression is that BoB will turn out to be a really nice guy once you get to know him. But he will give Bullock his walking papers. There's a difference between a nice guy and a fool.

16. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

I think Tuggle is in and may be Trevardo.

17. Troy Chapman

Troy Chapman All Pro

Boswell better get it going in training camp. Reports from OTA's has Bullock easily ahead of Boswell.

18. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Let me see, difficult choice...........

[​IMG]

VS

[​IMG]

19. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Personally I thought Bullock looked better and more comfortable as the season progressed. I think he will continue to improve and predict he will be a solid kicker with great range for years.

And this statement is coming from a 'Horns fan, so that's not Aggie homerism speaking.

20. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

But unfortunately he was looking better only as his kicks didn't matter anymore. When they counted, he couldn't make anything.