Earl to undergo nerve treatment

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by brakos82, Sep 18, 2012.

1. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

http://www.statesman.com/news/texas/nfl-great-earl-campbell-to-undergo-nerve-treatment-2461037.html

2. Fili

Fili All Pro

I am not surprised. The dude can barely walk at 57. I hope everything goes well for him.

3. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Man. That just kills me. I want nothing but the best for him. He was so amazing.

4. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

CIDP is an autoimmune diseases where the body's immune system attacks its own nerves. During infancy the body's immune system learns to differentiate between self and non-self. This means that normally the body learns not to attack itself; It also knows when a foreign object like a virus or a bacteria has entered the body which needs to be destroyed. In autoimmune diseases, the recognition of self is lost and the body attacks itself. The nerves of the body are seen as a foreign object and attacked. It is essentially a variant of Guillain-Barré. If this occurs acutely (abruptly) then the illness is called Guillain-Barré, and if it presents as a chronic progressive process then it is called Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy or CIDP. MS is one of the other disease entities that CIDP is misdiagnosed. However, its strange symptomatology is more often misdiagnosed as ALS. It tends to have remissions, but will commonly manifest with numbness and weakness of the feet, spreading then up the legs and eventually involving the hands and arms. Treatment is usually directed to trying to stop the continuous attack of the nerve structures with medications. Sometimes it can give the nerves a long enough rest to regenerate its function. But usually it can at best serve to arrest or at least slow the progressive sensory and functional loss. It is one of the many sad ultimately unrelenting neurologic diseases. I join everyone else in wishing this Houston icon a strong positive response to his treatment.