Earl Campbell tells Costas of the hit he’s lived to regret

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Kaiser Toro, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/cont...horns/entries/2007/09/04/earl_tells_cost.html

Longhorn legend Earl Campbell appears Wednesday night on Bob Costas’ interview show on HBO, “CostasNOW,” at 8 p.m. Central.

They discuss Campbell’s health issues after a life in football, as well as a hit that Campbell has lived to regret. Not one he suffered, but one he delivered.

Costas quizzes Campbell about the memorable 1978 play when he ran over Rams linebacker Isaiah Robertson.

Here’s a transcript of the exchange:

BOB COSTAS: “There’s lots of memorable plays. One among many that stands out. Isaiah Robertson was a very good linebacker with the Rams. He has a one-on-one shot at you in the open field. You lower your head right into his chest, and he’s out flatter than a pancake.”

EARL CAMPBELL: “That is the one play that I don’t talk very much about.”

BOB COSTAS: “Why not?”

EARL CAMPBELL: “They play that so much, back and forth, about him, until I think it’s damaged his life a little bit.”

TONY DORSETT: “Earl changed that man’s whole life. That highlight that they still run today, it’s a classic. Here comes Isaiah and he just puts that helmet right into his chest and runs flat over him.”

EARL CAMPBELL: “I finally had a chance to see him. And I said, ‘Man, I’ve been looking for you for many years, to apologize to you.’ And he’s all, ‘Man, it’s okay. It was just, you know, it’s just football.’ But because of that one run I think it did something to him, you know?”

BOB COSTAS: “It wasn’t because he was permanently injured from it.”

EARL CAMPBELL: “No.”

BOB COSTAS: “It shows how good-natured you are. You feel bad…”

EARL CAMPBELL: “Yeah.”

BOB COSTAS: “…that he was kind of embarrassed or even humiliated by that play.”

EARL CAMPBELL: “Yes.”

Texans_Chick and Hervoyel like this.
  2. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

Next time that wuss Robertson should get the hell out of Earl's way.

3. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

Sincerely,

Phillip Buchannon

Revolution and Texans_Chick like this.
  4. Twitch-Houston

Twitch-Houston Hall of Fame

ha ha ha Sooooo true.

5. FirstTexansFan

FirstTexansFan The Unknown Fan

If I remember correctly, Isiah retired soon after that hit from Earl. I also remember a similar hit from Earl to Ottis Sistrunk, and Ottis made the comment after the game it was time for him to retire if he was going to be run over like that. Of course, this could all be delusion on my part, as I don't remember much from those days. :)

6. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Earl is a good guy. Hope I'm fortunate enough to meet him at some point.

What a class act. I still like watching that highlight, tho'! (sorry, 34!)

7. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

8. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

He is a class act. I've had the honor of meeting him a few times when the wife worked for Tri-Star. I've yet to meet a better person in professional sports that is as down to earth as Earl is. Biggio's a close second.

Great guy and definitely a Texan.:texflag:

P.S. I also had the dishonor of meeting Randy Johnson. I'll just say he lives up to his last name.

9. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

I had the pleasure of meeting Earl one time and he is truly a class act.

He will always be a Texan and never a Titan!

10. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I'm glad this thread turned up. That reminds me that he'll be on Costas tonight. The footage that I've seen from it looks pretty sad. It doesn't seem like he makes many public appearances anymore, so I'll tune in anyway.

#34 is one number that I'd like to see the Texans retire. I can always wish.

11. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I've been watching football for a few decades now and still have never seen anything quite like Earl. A "once in a generation player" is thrown around way too much by fans and pundits but that is exactly what he was.

Revolution likes this.
  12. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

Exactly!! I grew up watching Walter Payton and he is a once in a generation guy as well.

Earl ran in a way that I do not think will be duplicated because of the sportcenter life kids live in now.

13. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Which game was it when Campbell ran the ball all the way back from the los
    for an 80 or 90 yard TD ? Unbelieveable run, and an unbelieveable game ! I know it was in Houston & MNF and I hadn't moved to Houston yet, really had no idea I'd move down here at that point in my life, but remember thinking "wow, they have some fantastic football fans in Houston", because the fans were going nuts and a viewer could feel it just watching on TV. Guess I was watching an example of the "Luv ya Blue" era ?

14. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

It was against the Dolphins in the 4th quarter.

15. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

That was the famous MNF game against the Miami Dolphins.

16. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

Earl is an Oiler.

Not a Texan, not a Titan.

He will always be a Houston Oiler!

Glad I got that off my chest. lol

17. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

That was the very first NFL game I ever attended. My dad pulled me out of school on a Monday and we drove 6 hours from Brownsville to watch the game. We sat in the temporary pavillion which were high school style metal bleachers in the end zone. Folks there were stomping in unison causing my 8 year old body to be tossed into the air.

I was hooked from that moment on. There will never be another Earl.

18. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Give me any RB in the history of any football to give the ball to on 4th and 1 and I'll take Earl. Hell, I'll take Earl if it's 1st and 20 over any back ever.

This guy was the most dominate runner I have ever seen in the 30+ years I've watched this game.

Walter Payton may be the closest. "They" say Jim Brown, but I never saw Brown play.

Barry Sanders was great, but he could lose yards on 3 or 4 straight carries before he busted one for 50.

Emmitt is certainly one of the greatest and not to take anything away from him, but he ran behind one of the greatest o-lines ever, plus there were other weapons that defenses had to plan for on that team.

The Oiler offense was give the ball to Earl, and that's about it. The defense knew it, the 60,000 in the stands knew it, everybody on tv knew it, and you still couldn't stop him. And this was behind a line of Conway Hayman, Carl Mauck, George Reihner...not exactly Allen, Newton, Tuinei, Stepnoski.

Earl Campbell single handedly put Houston, Texas on the football map and made this a football town. Everybody talks about his punishing, bruising running style, the richter scale collisions, but the guy had 4.6 speed also.

That Monday night game against the Dolphins may still be the greatest football game I ever saw. And it wasn't crushing a defender to seal it, it was an 80 yard dash, in the 4th quarter, and after already rushing for over 100 yards to that point. He still outran the DB's. Speed.

I hope there is some way, some day, that Houston's professional football team can honor this man. He IS Houston football.

Instead of retiring numbers and jerseys or whatever, I'd rather see the Texans have a "ring of honor" and just put our great players names on the stadium. And what better name to kick that tradition off with than Earl Campbell.

And to whoever said Earl is an Oiler, not a Texan....you couldn't be more wrong. I don't know anybody who is more Texan than Earl Christian Campbell.

Revolution likes this.
  19. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I agree 100%!!!

He was never a Houston Texan, but he is always a Texan! texanpride

Dude grew up in Tyler, played for UT and the Oilers (where he should have retired if that fat slug hadn't stabbed Earl and the fans in the back!).

20. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

texanpride