Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Eagles Release Jason Babin

eriadoc

Texan-American
I heard earlier today that Babin said he wasn't going to play LB anymore and if he wasn't played as a DE he wasn't going to play in games....

If that is true, that's why they traded him....

And no way he's coming back.

And I'm also hearing that Philly didn't want him playing the wide 9 anymore so they could play the run better...He refused...

Wth kind of $^i# is that?
That makes perfect sense. He was never any good at doing anything but getting after the QB. If he had been used as a situational pass rusher for his entire career, he could be one of those guys that stuck around as depth on a roster for a dozen years. But being drafted in the first round killed that, and it sounds like his ego/attitude/maturity won't let him properly assess his own place in the NFL.

I think Hugh Douglas is right - he's done in the NFL.

srrono

All Pro
At 1.64 mil Texans should take a chance on Babin. This is all predicated on Coach Phillips thoughts on Babin. Here is my main reason if Watt goes down (knock on wood) we are screwed. We need more pass rushers even if situational. When the Texans shipped Babin out the Defensive staff was completely different. Give Phillips more weapons. Texans can cut him if need too. Really where is the downside. Texans have given up 795 yds passing in last 2 games.

Watt 14.5
Smith 4.0
Mercilus 3.0
Reed 2.5
Barwin 2.0
Manning 1.0
Quin 1.0
Jamison 1.0
James 0.5
McCain 0.5

GP

Go Texans!
At 1.64 mil Texans should take a chance on Babin. This is all predicated on Coach Phillips thoughts on Babin. Here is my main reason if Watt goes down (knock on wood) we are screwed. We need more pass rushers even if situational. When the Texans shipped Babin out the Defensive staff was completely different. Give Phillips more weapons. Texans can cut him if need too. Really where is the downside.

Yeah, but the Babin weapon ends up looking like this to the d-coord who holds it.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
At 1.64 mil Texans should take a chance on Babin. This is all predicated on Coach Phillips thoughts on Babin. Here is my main reason if Watt goes down (knock on wood) we are screwed. We need more pass rushers even if situational.
I want to fall on that side, but I know Kubiak would never let him play if he's got the attitude people are saying. If Watt goes down, Smith goes down, & Merci goes down & we have Babin & two other guys as LBs... he won't play if Babin isn't a true pro.

I know a lot of people think this is Wade's call, but I believe Brandon Harris is on our sideline because of Kubiak.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Based on what? Just curious...
Nothing solid, just my gut.

I can't believe a guy they wanted in the second round doesn't have the talent to get on the field. They brought in Alan Ball to get real snaps, they had Jason Allen getting real snaps.

I'm sure he's got issues..... but so does Kareem and Brice but they never wavered from starting them.

Exascor

Veteran

I can't believe a guy they wanted in the second round doesn't have the talent to get on the field. They brought in Alan Ball to get real snaps, they had Jason Allen getting real snaps.

I'm sure he's got issues..... but so does Kareem and Brice but they never wavered from starting them.
So you think that Phillips wants to play him but Kubiak overrides him then? Meh - this is off topic for this thread. Not sure I can see your take on that one though. :thinking:

GP

Go Texans!

Seniority.

Kubiak is very big on seniority. Whereas a lot of teams will play the best man, Kubiak will 99% of the time keep a more senior player out there and make the younger guy stay as depth and wait until injury to the older guy....even if the older guy is older by 1 year.

Almost like an old-school college coach who makes freshmen sit and seniors are starters unless there's not senior at a position...and THEN he's gonna' have a junior at that spot, etc.

Now, this isn't true across the board. Obviously Foster is the starter and he's younger than Forsett...but honestly Foster is the main RB because his talent is so much more advanced than Tate and Forsett. But you put Forsett and Tate side by side, and due to their role being similar and production being similar, Kubiak is siding with the veteran here and telling the young guy to buck up.

Kubiak is developing that talent, and I think Brandon Harris is on the sideline for that same reason. Kareem, JJo, Ball, McCain...all these guys were in the secondary before Harris was IIRC. There's a method to Kubiak's madness. I think it's one of the reasons the locker room is as healthy as it is. Until somebody rocks the boat, maybe? Then Kubiak goes and lays down a little smack in the media, righting the ship a little if it needs it. Just my guess.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Seniority.

Kubiak is developing that talent, and I think Brandon Harris is on the sideline for that same reason. Kareem, JJo, Ball, McCain...all these guys were in the secondary before Harris was IIRC.
Not Ball.

GP

Go Texans!
Not Ball.
He's been in the league longer, though. Right?

It doesn't matter if it was with another team. Kubiak wants veterans if they are competent enough to be out there. A jumpy young guy can cost the team, and a veteran (while he might not be as PURELY talented as the young guy) is less likely to lose his head out there and go crazy over a series of plays.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He's been in the league longer, though. Right?

It doesn't matter if it was with another team. Kubiak wants veterans if they are competent enough to be out there. A jumpy young guy can cost the team, and a veteran (while he might not be as PURELY talented as the young guy) is less likely to lose his head out there and go crazy over a series of plays.
eh.... Harris is a second round pick, he should be a difference maker. Even Kubiak would put a play-maker on the field before a role-player.

GP

Go Texans!
eh.... Harris is a second round pick, he should be a difference maker. Even Kubiak would put a play-maker on the field before a role-player.
Babin was a trade-up-for-a-1st rounder and look where that got him. Traded out of here. And won't be coming back.

if Kubiak values draft position that badly, he never would have had Jason Allen sharing snaps 50-50 with KJ last season. I think Harris is valued, but he's being brought along slowly. He's still under a rookie contract, so it's not like he's burning up a lot of salary space every season either.

We're seeing more of him this season. If things go south with other CBs, he'll be out there. Then he'll have another camp to show his growth level. Or not.

srrono

All Pro
Pro Football Weekly ‏@ProFootballWkly
RT @Eric_Edholm: Will be curious to see what other teams placed claims on Jason Babin. Heard number was 7-10.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
If claimed off waivers. I wouldn't doubt that some team will pick him up off waivers but now that the word is out that he quit on his team, they'd have to be pretty desperate.
Actually, "Quit" is probably one of the least likely things to keep a team from picking him up off waivers. Think about it from a Head Coach/General Manager standpoint:

Bad knee/neck/shoulder etc. - I can't fix that
Older than dirt - I can't fix that
Too stupid to understand the scheme - you can't fix stupid
Not enough talent/athletic ability to succeed - I can't fix that
Crappy attitude - I CAN fix that.

Not saying I believe it, but I'm guessing there's more than few coaches in the NFL who do.

Also, Babin's under contract for three more years, and to tie down a guy who's less than one season removed from 18 sacks for less than $6 Million a year with the caveat that you can walk away for nothing after a 5 game $1.6 Million test drive may not be a bad gamble.

srrono

All Pro
Aaron Nagler ‏@Aaron_Nagler
RT @RavensInsider Among the teams that tried to get Jason Babin: Browns, Chargers, Raiders and Dolphins

srrono

All Pro
aron Nagler ‏@Aaron_Nagler

"Approximately 10 playoff contenders were ready to make a run at Babin had he cleared waivers." @MikeGarafolo

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
So he goes from a bad Eagles team to arguably the worst team in the league? If he quit on Philly then I be he refuses to even leave the bench with the Jags.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So the Eagles fired Jim Washburn.

Makes me wonder what the real reason for them cutting Babin. You know we've heard the rumors that Babin quit, didn't like the "new direction" wasn't being a team player.

Then they fire his position coach.

What's up with that?

Specnatz

Hall of Fame

Makes me wonder what the real reason for them cutting Babin. You know we've heard the rumors that Babin quit, didn't like the "new direction" wasn't being a team player.

What's up with that?
Saw a report where he was calling the fired D coordinator a fem version of his name in front of his position players.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame

What's up with that?
Wasn't Washburn supposed to be the reason Babin went to the Eagles?

Playoffs

Hall of Fame

What's up with that?
Washburn sounds like a real problem.

He called DC Juan Castillo "Juanita" out loud, every time, in front of everyone. He was openly critical of the offensive playcalling & other coaches. Sounds more like Buddy Ryan. Plus, his Wide 9 front favored getting sacks over stopping the run.

I guess the Eagles got tired of babysitting a childish, divisive coach.