Dunta to safety?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by junior, Nov 5, 2007.

1. junior

junior Veteran

i think with the injury as serious as it looks to be, his speed will probably be down after surgery. so safety, which i think he would be a top 2 or 3 safety in the league, could be the logical move.

if bennet could meet his potential and we draft a good cb or sign a top free agent our defensive backfield could be a strength next year or in '09 depending on rehab.

and even though i am hard on him for running his mouth about team mates watch the urgency he will have to get back on the field. andre johnson could take a page from the determination that dunta will show.

i am not questioning the injury johnson has but if he were T.O., who i cant stand, he would be back on the field already. especially the way we had been playing we needed him on the field.

2. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Anything is possible but at 5'10" and 180# dripping wet, I don't see Dunta playing Safety. Dunta has the right temperment for the position - hard hitter.

3. gg no re

gg no re iggnorent

I'm thinking about how Rod Woodson recovered from his knee injury and eventually turned safety

4. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Robinson would get killed if he switched to safety, he's too small. He'd be taking on not only receivers but tight ends and runningbacks every single play.

He's a tough hitter to do that every now and again but asking him on every play to tackle someone that 40 lbs heavier than him is not a good idea, but heck there is no way he'd wouldn't instantly be the best FS on our team.

5. Ole Miss Texan

Woodson was 5-11, 205lbs.

6. gg no re

gg no re iggnorent

Dunta's got a year to fill up. Where's the Burger King?

7. Ole Miss Texan

Hiding out in the mountains of Pakistan...he's scared sh*tless of Ron Dayne!

8. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Yes you are, otherwise there would be no point in mentioning it.

Only if TO hired VY to come drop kitty tears on his knee.

Psst--the running game and turnovers have been what have held the Texans back, not the passing game.

Texans_Chick likes this.

9. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

He's small but he could play FS. That being said, if he's having surgery on his knee tomorrow that's an excellent sign. That means the swelling isn't bad and the hamstring issue isn't enough to delay it. However, it's possible, based on what I heard and didn't hear, that they are going to repair the hamstring tomorrow and won't be touching the knee... although Kubiak certainly led us to believe the surgery was going to be on the knee.

Again, we don't want to hear torn patella tendon or torn PCL!

10. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

Dunta is a hard worker. I don't think he's going to let this injury get in the way of him playing corner, I don't think he's going to let this slow him down too much.

Don't know how serious it is though yet.

11. K-J-3

K-J-3 King James III

well, if there was one player who everybody knew was going to go after rehab (and all that rehab entails) like he did on the field it would be dunta. he wanted the probowl so badly, now he has another huge log covered in gasoline to add to his fire.

as for playing free safety, it might work, but i think you guys are right about him being too small. he would probably get more interceptions though. i don't know...if bennett continues to play well, and we get another stud across from him...it may be interesting to see what he can do at centerfield...

12. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I don't think there is any defensive position that places more of a premium on cutting ability & maneuverability & just sheer sprinting speed than CB ? The only positions that are so dependant on those innate athletic
    abilities are on offense at running back & receiver. That's why elite corners
    like D-Rob are so valuable.
    I dunno of a CB, so name me one who has come back from this kind of injury to return to his former self at his old position ? I hate to be so bleak,
    especially about my favorite Texan, but it is what it is, which is not good at all.
    BTW, he's just too small for safety.

13. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I don't have a list, but assuming it's only an ACL and maybe MCL tear, I'm sure quite a few have come back full strength... I know a lot of RBs have come back full strength from it.

14. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

But the initial reports are that its a much more complex & severe injury(s) than that, which is what I'm using as the basis for my comments.

15. brickman

brickman Rookie

Both of my kids have had torn ACL surgery from soccer injuries. It was an 8 - 9 month process for both of them. I know these guys train a lot harder than my kids do, but both of them were a shell of themselves as players for about the first year or so after they came back. The mental challenge is as tough as the physical challenge, if not tougher. I know Dunta is a hardworking tough guy, but the mental boundary is the toughest to hurdle.
    Let's just pray he can come back and it isn't a career ending injury.

16. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Wow. Another let's switch Dunta to FS thread. Joy.

:gun:

bah007 likes this.
  17. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Well I haven't posted it but there are two of us thinking those evil thoughts. They won't know for sure untill they lay it open. But any time you're talking 'bout rettaching stuff and pilimnary of ACL...at least, you gotta figure it's going to be shear luck if it doesn't look like a veggematic didn't pass through the knee when they open it up. Worst case, at least two years, if at all.

18. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

How big is Bob Sanders, for the Colts? He's a little heavier, but I don't give him any credit over D-Rob. I've seen Robinson take on all comers, and come out the winner more times than not. He'd be a decent centerfield candidate, IMO, and he can lay the wood when he needs to.

19. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

Hook him up with some Weider Weight Gainer and some HGH and beef him up!

Yes, the HGH comment was a joke.

20. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Bob Sanders is 5'8" 206. I just can't see Dunta stuffing the run between the tackles on an every down basis. Pound for pound, the guy is by far the hardest hitter, but I think he'd be thrown around in the trenches.

In addition, why fix what isn't broke. We don't know how Dunta's going to respond to this setback so his position's safe in my opinion.:cool: