Dunta Robinson

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by SESupergenius, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Does anyone still think that Dunta is a #1 cornerback? After 2 games now he's picking up right where he left off last year, getting exposed by elite wide receivers in this league. His excuse last year was that we used the 3-4 and he complained about it, what his excuse this year. Don't get me wrong, he's a good talent, but he needs to be on the defensive right side of the ball and let a bigger corner with good smarts be the #1 guy. So Far Stallworth and Harrison have torched him with T.O. and Chambers coming up.

2. Rightnow

Rightnow Veteran

Giving Dunta the benefit of the doubt I think that his covering skills would dramatically improve if he knew he could rely on the safties. Every corner gets beat now and again, but his job is made doubly tough by having backups starting in the rest of the secondary.

I did notice in yesterdays game he didn't try very hard to tackle people late in the game when it was out of control. I have a feeling he will be leaving for greener pastures when his contract is up. The team will have to be better for that not to happen.

3. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

Why did he throw his hands up in confusion during that one play?

4. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

I agree with both of your posts. He needs help from the safeties, but he needs to play better himself when he's 1 on 1 with the receiver. He has been getting picked on and he's losing the battle. I don't know what schemes are being called for them to run though. This may have something to do with him being out of position on some plays. :twocents:

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

He may have been looking for a flag for pushing off during the cut but you do that after the play, not during.

Ses--TO is out 2-4 weeks.

6. T.O should be back when we play Dallas, thats about 4 weeks away.

7. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I thought it was frustration with the safeties, but I'm guessing and eager to change my mind about it.

8. real

real Guest

D-Rob is not a cover corner and probably never will be...IMO he is a small SS...

9. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

I completely disagree. I think he has the potential to be an elite cover corner in the NFL.

He has obviously had issues in the 1st two games, but again, I have to agree with the other post that said a lot of it is safety help. If we're playing zone and he has the underneath route and expects safety help over the top and the safety is no where in the picture, it obviously looks like he got beat. When in reality the safety was supposed to be there. How often this is the case is only truly known by our coaching staff.

There is no excuse for the one-on-one match-ups however...he needs to improve. Again, the "one-on-one" match-ups may just seem that way b/c our safety was completely out of play...I don't think that is too far of a stretch after what I've seen from them the 1st two games.

10. D-Vizzl

D-Vizzl Veteran

In my opinion the safeties are terrible, McCleon was available for a reason, Sanders is decent but needs to be more head strong, and Dunta has no will right now. In his first season and a half he would pursue tackles and try to flatten guys, not anymore.

Also i'm going to throw some blame the way of Richard Smith. I saw us playing cover 2 at times, and each time they threw the ball up the middle. You cannot implement the same defense that your opponent practices against. Lastly, and I hope i'm wrong but, I think we were running the prevent also, so I can't expect much from the front four if we do that, meaning they can't get pressure on the QB and that gives him all day and the recievers have a long time to get open. So when the gameplan changes I can further evaluate Dunta.

11. real

real Guest

He's not even the best cover corner on our team...and you think he can be an "elite cover corner" ??? D-rob can tackle and he is physical...those are his best attributes.....His coverage leaves a lot to be desired...and he didn't just get beat over the top...D-rob has been beat every way possible in these last two games...across the middle...short routes, the deep ball...you name it, and a reciever has caught it....

12. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Dunta was awful yesterday. If you watch the game again and hone in on Robinson, the WR he is covering and Manning you will get sick to your stomach. He was awful in coverage, position and body language. He must rebound and come strong against the Redskins.

I count him as an average cover CB, but a strong tackler to get to SES' statement.

13. I have no problem with his tackling, he's great at that, but his #1 job is cover the receiver. I'd like to see him get the pass protected that corners need, but there is no excuse for WR's to be burning him like they are. He's just not smart enough to be our best corner.

14. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Superman would have looked inadequate at corner yesterday for the Texans, given the minimul pressure (and that's generous) our front was putting on
    Manning.

15. real

real Guest

So are you saying that our DB's are good???

16. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Then he ain't Superman and nothing other than an overpaid corner with to much Krypto in his blood.

17. real

real Guest

D-Rob's bad performance can't be blamed on our D-line or our safeties...

18. O.G.

O.G. Veteran

That was exactly where it was. An emotional outburst. Dunta didn't have his best game by any means. In fact, it was his worse as a Texans from Indy's first TD to their tight end to the 3rd down conversions he was consistantly burned for.

19. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I absolutely think that D-Rob is not just good, but a very good NFL corner.
    Glen Earl is also a keeper, though certainly not as valuable as D-Rob.
    Beyond those 2 we just don't have much in the secondary.

20. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Yep and you address it in the huddle or in the sidelines, not when the friggin ball is in the air and then when you are in pursuit. It looked more like freshman football than the NFL. I am not one that normally cares about what others think about the Texans, but that really was embarrasing.