Dunta Robinson is frustrated

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gtexan02, Sep 29, 2006.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

In his rookie year, DRob was tested and tested often. QBs aimed at him, and away from Glenn, almost every play. And he responded. Hard hits, great coverage, and a load of INTs made him what I thought a shoe in for Defensive Rookie of the Year. Unfortunately, Vilma also had a great year. But thats beside the point.

Last year, his coverage ability slipped. While still delivering mind boggling hits on WRs, FBs, and RBs, he definitely had an off year. And this year has been no different.

He is trying, but his coverage ability has slipped again. He's giving up big plays. Is it his fault or the DL? We wont know until we get a pass rush, but at this point, it doesn't really matter.

The fact is, DRob is frustrated. You can see it in his face, and in his play. I've seen him throw up his hands in frustration on more than 1 play. And then I read this quote from the NFL.com preview:

"It's an embarrassing situation," defensive back Dunta Robinson said. "Right now we can't even keep the games close. We've got to get better or we're going to be the laughingstock of the NFL again."

IMO this team is on a very slipperly slope. I know saying games are a must win is stupid, but I'm doing it anyway. If we don't win on Sunday, and worse yet if we don't at least keep it close, this team may give up. Everyone knew the early part of the season would be tough, but when the D gives up 100 yards mroe than any other team in the league its got to be demoralizing. Confidence plays a huge role in bringing out the best in players. Frustration, the worst.

2. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

IMO:
    M. Williams - Not NFL starting caliber yet. needs time to develop
    S. Payne - starter
    T. Johnson - backup
    Weaver - Starter (in a 3-4)
    Greenwood - starter (i know I'll get flack for this, but he's a good role player at the will)
    Orr - backup
    Ryans - starter
    Robinson - starter
    Sanders - nickel
    Earl - backup
    Brown - special teams

Hervoyel likes this.
  3. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

Yeah, Greenwood is HORRIBLE!

Earl is ok for a SS but not teamed up with CC

4. texflex513

texflex513 All Pro

How about moving dunta to FS and putting p buch at corner..then we would have 2 blasters at the S position. It cant get any worse right now it can only get better. I think dunta would make a great safety. IMO.

5. Scooter

Scooter Funky

no. dunta hasnt played safety so we'd be weakening 2 positions. besides, he would move back to corner once we acquired a legitimate centerfielder ... thus slowing down his learning process. because of his play, i think a lot of people forget that dunta's only 3 games into his 3rd season. give kubiak a year or two of drafts & FA's to get "his" players back there and we'll be just fine.

6. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i think a lot of that has to do with wong & rainer being injured. i just dont like greenwood and orr is a more situational guy so we're thin at the position even before the injuries.

7. AggieTexanFan

AggieTexanFan Rookie

I still say put Peek at OLB when he is healthy

8. quicksilver

quicksilver Overweight

I think we can point out specific weaknesses. Mario needs focus and better technique, then Weaver can stop directing Mario before each play and focus for himself. We need better linebacker play on the right side. When either Johnson (Travis or Thomas) penetrated, we didn't have an LB follow up to stop Portis when he ran around whichever DT we had in their backfield. Ryans must learn to avoid or shed a blocking OL. We need a FS.

9. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I really don't think we are seeing Dunta right now. Like I said, the more frustrated you get, the worse you play. Look at what happened to A-Rod this year. Once a player starts trying really hard, andthinking about his game, it suffers.

Dunta will be back to his rookie style once we get the whole team worked out. I think mario will come around once he stops thinking too. Despite what he is saying publically, I think the media is really getting to him. He keeps saying "Coach tells me to do this" and "Coach tells me to do that" What that tells me is that he's not playing with instinct, and he's trying to do what the coaches tell him.

Once the players adjust and become more instinctual, the frustration should pass and we should see the talent come back.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

So far, I think LB Safety has been our biggest problem. When they are taking completions made behind the line of scrimmage for 30 yard gains it's pathetic. If we can take those away, the QB will have to wait longer for plays to develop. Then we'll get more sacks.

This notion of the QBs having too much time is being blown out of porportion... it's flat out flase. On maybe 2 occasions a game, the QB will have more than 3 seconds to throw the ball. But I don't think it is unreasonable to expect our back seven to cover for 3 seconds.

People want to criticize Kubiak for only rushing 4.... but when we are rushing 4, and the QB goes 22 of 23, that tells me we can't cover anybody.

11. rafterticket

rafterticket Veteran

Let's all sign a petition to get the Titans to fire Jeff Fisher. We could bring him back to Houston.

I was joking, but you know, that's not a bad idea.

12. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Umm, the only receiver how was really burned him was Marvin Harrison. He dominated Reggie Brown and Santana Moss and was clearly the only good player we had out on the field on Sunday. In my opinion he is the best tackling CB in the league and probably Top 10 overall, you just cant always tell because of the players around him.

Runner likes this.
  13. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I think Dunta is about to have a great game on Sunday. Pepp isn't what he was two years ago and Chris Chambers is Andre Johnson, but a few inches shorter.

I think we'll see some definite improvement from Dunta, seeing as how he faces two #1 WRs in practice.

14. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

That's ridiculous.

When you're rushing 4, but getting no pressure, eventually a receiver will get open and the QB will see him. Even if you have 2 Pro Bowl corners, and two Pro Bowl safeties, if you don't get pressure, you're gonna hang your secondary out to dry.

That's what's been so funny lately . . . watching this "debate" as to the real reason why the defense sucks. There shouldn't be any.

15. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I'd modify that a little and say the cornerbacks should come up to the line more and stop the underneath pass - especially on 3rd and 5-7 yard type plays. It seems self-defeating to give the receiers a 10 or 15 yard buffer on those downs.

16. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

If this team gives up, I'm starting the "get a refund" drive for the past 2 seasons tickets. Followed closely by the "Texans Two Dollar home games" where all beers (and soft drinks) are dropped to $2.

Texans - suck it up and play some friggin ball. HIT somebody.

17. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I just hope his confidence isn't permanently shattered like most of the players in our secondary.

18. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Just the secondary? You're optimistic.

19. NEROtheZERO

NEROtheZERO Veteran

I agree with moving Dunta to FS but think it should happen in the offseason under two conditions. 1. We draft a CB with our first pick and 2. we sign a high profile CB in free agency. This would allow Dunta to move to FS where he can better utilize his strength, tackling, and his average coverage skills becomes exceptional for his position. With 2 new corners and P-Buc, Lewis, and Faggins duking it out for the nickel and dime slots I think our horrid secondary becomes a strength.

Easier said than done though, I guess.

20. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

What makes you think that this new 1st round corner is going to be any better than 1st round corner Buchanon and 1st round corner Robinson???