Dunta: RIGHT Cornerback

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Scooter, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Scooter

Scooter Funky

between heavy celebration and sleep deprivation i expect (and hope) to be taken with a grain of salt. something that struck me however is our secondary lineup. in each year we've played mostly a "your side" cornerback scheme instead of lining up our db's ontop of receivers.

2004 ... dunta played right cornerback opposite of aaron glenn. everyone challanged dunta and he earned a probowl appearance (although noone seemed to notice that he was the best DB that year) ... dunta robinson, the single fastest closing acceleration this poster has EVER seen.

2005 ... sorry, i was successful in my attempt to erase this season from my mind so someone will have to fill in the blanks

2006 ... dunta got insanely torched on the left side ... bit on everything, the closing burst was gone, tackles missed, and basically his everything was off ... oh, and our right side belonged on a yellow lot grill with some chili.

2007 ... dunta's back on the right side and has 2 INT's in 2 games, is laying the wood, has his "closing speed" back to best in the business

maybe i'm reading something that isnt there, but per what i've seen, dunta is arguably the best cornerback in the league on the right side and a tailgaters' sidedish on the left. is this deliberate or circumstance?

2. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

All I know is that when Dunta started playing Smith, the game completely changed. He shut him down. I dont know what side he was on when he made that INT, but he was playing Smith

3. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

He was on the D's right, the O's left. But I think he mainly was lining up opposite Smith, regardless of what side of the field he was on.

4. Scooter

Scooter Funky

that's exactly it, Fox for some reason decided to swap 89 to the "right" side (dunta's) of the defense in the second half and smith was smothered, and intercepted. steve smith had 1 reception (the "missed tackle supreme") from our defensive right side, but for game's concern was completely shut down on dunta's (right) side.

5. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Yeah Dunta is back to form, i'm loving his play so far this year.

6. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

Did you mean to write that he should have earned a probowl appearance?

7. Scooter

Scooter Funky

wrote as intended (vague). he earned the spot, but wasnt voted in.