Dumb Question...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by newbiefan, Mar 25, 2006.

1. newbiefan

newbiefan Rookie

Why is it that NFL Qb's hafta be able to take snaps under center as opposed to from shotgun like many do in colledge?

2. Akhorahil

Akhorahil Rookie

from what I understand its easier to read the defense and call audibles when taking direct snaps.

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

no, it's easier to read the defense from the shotgun. That's why Vince's ability to read defenses quickly is in question, the shotgun gives him an edge.

4. The Myth

The Myth Rookie

Your more likely to have a better running game lined behind center rather than draws from the shotgun I would think. No proof to that whatsoever just my thoughts as to one of the reasons.

5. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

so does his coach dumbing down the offense and letting him do whatever the wants. HC's and O-coordinators in the NFL won't let vince do whatever he wants.

6. Texans86

Texans86 All Pro

Because it's the standard, and the spread offense is rarely used in a pro style offense. I'm not exactly sure why the pro's stopped using it, but it probably has something to do with the faster defenses. It also might have something to do with the fact that there are a lot more plays that can be run. There can be all the plays run out of a shotgun formation, and even more run out from under the center. The more plays available, the less a defense can focus on certain aspects of a quarterback's tendancies. Of course it might have nothing to do with the things I just stated, that just my guess.

7. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

IMO its because it is less predicatable. In Shotgun.... you are more likely to pass the ball in the NFL. Too much talent to try to run out of the shotgun consistently.

The QB under the center leaves the door open for pretty much any play, leaving the defense guessing more if you will. Pass, run, and most importantly the play action.

You just have more options if the QB is under center.... and in the complex world of the NFL...its a necessity.

8. rittenhouserobz

rittenhouserobz Hall of Fame

I could be wrong, but is there an increased chance of fumbling the snap when using the shotgun formation.

9. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

None of that makes any sense to me and I'm not even a Young supporter. It SEEMS to me that everybody should want to just use the shotgun all the time. I don't see how it henders anything, but I'm sure you're right and I'm just not getting it. For instance, I don't see why you necesarilly have to use a spread offense just because the QB is dropped back. I suppose the shotgun would stop you from being able to fake hand-offs. That's one thing that makes sense to me.

edit: Guess another one is calling audibles in a loud stadium.

10. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Play action, and less likely to fumble. Thats my guess.

11. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

They want you watching/reading the defense the entire time. They don't want you to have to take your eyes off the defense while you try to catch the ball in the shotgun. It's only a split second but that's the difference between the NFL and college.

12. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Also, its much harder to run out of the shotgun, because everything is basically a draw. If the defense is looking for run, you are going to get stuffed.

13. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

This would be my best guess also. To many factors could easily cause a 40 yard mis-snap. Actually a pretty good question.

14. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Running out of a shotgun is also a lot easier for the opposing defense to get a pass rush too. In college you don't have the kind of speed coming off the edges that you do in the NFL, so dropping into a shotgun spreads the OLinemen out a lot in order to protect the outside edges so it's generally easier for defenses to blitz around the outside or rush their DLinemen outside and allow blitzes to come up the middle.

Dropping into a shotgun generally allows the QB to throw the ball quicker as well as they don't have to take their 3-7 step drop before they are ready to throw, but it also reduces the options you have for running the ball and makes your playcalling a little more predictable.

Marcus likes this.
  15. mancunian

mancunian Daleks Rule

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irela
    Harder to run the ball effectively from the shotgun - especially as you don't the full use of the FB

16. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

Same reason they don't run the option in the pros.

17. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

umm no.

teams still use the shotgun in the NFL. no one uses the option, ever.

18. Blake

Blake MMQB

<sarcasm>And Alex Smith running Urban Myers dumbed-down shotgun spread system really hurt his draft stock as well.</sarcasm>

19. newbiefan

newbiefan Rookie

Based on the lack of a definitive answer, I guess it wasnt a dumb question. But thanks guys for givin me a better idea, I like Mork's explanation, makes sense to me.

20. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

Very well put.