Duane Brown?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by MojoMan, Jun 16, 2010.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

Anyone heard anything lately about the offseason activities of starting Left Tackle Duane Brown? He has continued to progress over the last two years, and he has not been bad at all. However, it would be nice to see him step up to the next level this coming season. I would love to hear that he has been really working out hard in the weight room and getting stronger, as this is definitely a key area that he would do well to improve in.

In any case, Left Tackle is an incredibly important position on this football team, which makes Duane Brown and incredibly important player for this football team. Anyone have any insight into what he has been up to, or what we can look forward to this upcoming season?

2. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I think I remember hearing that he dropped weight to get quicker . To me , no news is good news with him or most vets .

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Thats what I was thinking , when it comes to the OL , no news is good news. If we are talking about OL .... Something's probably not right or someone's playing poorly.

4. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

It has been said that Brown hasn't been able to perform his best and take it to the next level because of spotty LG support. He has overall held down the fort. But he has had his weaknesses exposed often enough. This year, we should have an improved LG support that will no longer give Brown much leeway for excuses for not attaining next level status.

5. CloakNNNdagger

We haven't really been told how much weight he has lost. In his rookie year, he came into TC weighing 20 pounds heavier than the 310 pounds the Texans wanted. He never got past 315........and played that weight last year. The reason Kubiak wanted him down in weight is because he had so many problems against the speed rushers. They questioned his lateral quickness. This was especially evident in the 2 Colts games where he was dinged with
    9 of his 36 pressures allowed and 3 of his 7 sacks allowed. It is to be seen if he will keep his weight down, and if he does, if he gains that lateral quickness........and, of course, while gaining not losing strength. Remember, Kubiak emphasizing earlier this year that, if we were to go further, both OL had to "play stronger?"

6. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Really Brown needs to tighten up against Freeney. I don't think he's ever going to be a top tier elite tackle, but he definitely does a great job protecting the blindside (Just not against Dwight Freeney).

7. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Not too many LT do a great job against Freeney. That's why he goes to the pro bowl every year.

8. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

Do you have a link for that info? I'm not questioning you, just thought it would be interesting to see stats like that for OL.

9. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Duane Brown will have some serious challenges this season.

Dwight Freeney (twice)
    Brian Orakpo
    DeMarcus Ware
    Kamerion Wimbley
    Osi Umenyiora
    Tamba Hali
    Shawne Merriman
    Aaron Kampman (twice)
    Calvin Pace
    Derrick Morgan (twice)
    Terrell Suggs
    Trent Cole
    Elvis Dumervil

Brown needs to get in the best shape of his life and study tape more than ever. Matt Schaub's health depends on it.

10. CloakNNNdagger

MojoMan likes this.
  11. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

12. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

13. CloakNNNdagger

Finally found it:

14. Rey

Rey Guest

I read somewhere a while ago that the sacks we gave up as a team avg out to be somewhere around the 3.6 number you mention...

I think what I read also said that the sacks Matt took avg out to be some of the longest if not the longest times holding the ball...

15. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I would be really interested if we could find the other side of the coin. Our pass defense was not all that good and the sack total was low, but I think our pressure time was pretty good. Our cb's (read DR mostly) was just not able to cover for 3.5 seconds. Or even 3.

16. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

Thanks for the great links and great information.

Of course the pass rushing ability of the LT is crucial, and it is at that point of the game that a great LT earns his pay. So I am very interested in all the insight I can get into that aspect of Duane Brown's play.

However, the Texans led the NFL in passing last year, but continue to struggle with their running game. Chester Pitts going out was a big loss, but surely all of our running woes cannot be attributed to our injured guards. The Texans have two starting tackles that they appear to be content with at a minimum, with Eric Winston probably being regarded as the better of the two at this time.

Does anyone have a good sense about how strong of a run blocker Duane Brown is, and what he needs to do to improve his run blocking?

17. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2010/05/texans_offensive_line_numbers.html

18. CloakNNNdagger

19. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

Pardon my ignorance, but what do these numbers tell us? The following two lines are the stat lines ffor Brown and Winston from Cumulative Tackle Summary at the ProFootballFocus link above. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Code:
     #  	Pos.  	  Name         Team  	Snaps  	Ovrall  Pass  Screen  	Run  	Pen  	#Pen 	QBSk QBHt QBPr
    LT (0), RT (16) Eric Winston	HST	1084	4.6	8.4	3.0	-3.8	-3.0	3-0	5     7    19
    LT (16), RT (0) Duane Brown	HST	1055	-15.0	-12.2	2.0	3.2	-8.0	8-1	7    11    35

20. CloakNNNdagger

Actually, by these numbers, Winston was a better pass blocker than a run blocker (the green and more positive, the better; the red and more negative, the worse; sacks allowed, qb hits allowed, qb pressures allowed are listed in the right most columns) and Brown a better run blocker than pass blocker (I correct myself).
    In these overall ratings of the 77 OTs, Winston rated 15th..........and Brown 60th (not very impressive).