Duane Brown

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by usernameJJ, Jul 24, 2017.

1. usernameJJ

usernameJJ Rookie

Forgive me if this has been discussed recently. I did a search and came up empty.

Is Duane Brown holding out of camp? Anybody have any word about Duane?

2. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

3. usernameJJ

usernameJJ Rookie

Thank you! Anybody have a problem with him holding out? I kind of do. Two years left on contract, get over it and go play.

4. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

It's just business to me.

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Nope. He's very underpaid. They can easily work out an extension to get him in the fold.

Hervoyel likes this.
  6. TheKDog

TheKDog All Pro

It's non-guaranteed.

No problem with it, really. I have more of an issue in how they've managed the cap.

7. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Yep, it's just business, business for both parties. I don't blame Duane for not showing up for preseason to include TC without some upgrades to his contract and I don't blame the Texans for their unwillingness to negotiate with any player who's still got two years or more years remaining on his existing contract.
    The Texans made two exceptions to their rule and IMHO it's now time for them make a third exception because Duane like JJ & Andre at this time is just too valuable to the team. Let's just call it the Too Valuable to the team to be without rule.
    We have too many questions about the competency and experience of the offensive line and too much of an investment at QB to risk
    not having our starting LT and leader of the offensive line in WV with the team in TC from the very beginning of camp.

8. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

He's old for a lineman. I would not be surprised if part of this is just a tactic to keep him from enduring the grind of training camp.

It appears that he wants a better deal, but according to an update today by Aaron Wilson, "Brown isn't expected to miss regular-season games."

JB likes this.
  9. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

If the Texans want to hold Brown to the CBA, he has already incurred an $80,405 fine for missing the 3 day minicamp. Now for each day he misses TC, there can be a $40,000 per day fine..........................If he misses all of TC, he will have accumulated ~$1,280,405 in potential fines.

10. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

DB needs to get off his butt and get into TC. Yes he's underpaid compared with some other LT contracts at this time, but not at the time he signed the contract, and I doubt anyone held a gun to his head and made him sign. Most players never make it to the non-guaranteed portion of their contracts, that's where the high dollar are and he's getting them. The Texans also stood behind him through his injuries and PED suspension (4 games in 2010 and almost 10 games in 2016).

11. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Do y'all still think he's underpaid?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/left-tackle/starters-cap/

Brown is the 9th highest paid LT for the 2017 season:

Trent Williams (WAS 28yo) $15M
    Cordy Glenn (BUF 27yo) $14M
    Anthony Castonzo (IND 28yo) $12M
    Jason Peters (PHI 35yo) $11M
    Joe Thomas (CLE 32 yo) $11.5M
    Nate Solder (NE 29yo) $11M
    Joe Staley (SF 32yo) $11M
    Jared Veldheer (AZ 29yo) $10M
    D. Brown (HOU 31yo) $9.6M
    Eric Fisher (KC 26yo) $9.4M
    Andrew Whitworth (LAR 35yo) $9.1M
    Branden Albert (JAX 32yo) $8.9M
    Tyron Smith (DAL 26yo) $8.8
    Riley Reiff (MIN 28 yo) $8.5M
    Terron Armstead (NO 25yo) $7.5M

12. infantrycak

9th is one way to look at it. $9.6 v. $15 Is another.

V3rm0nt3r likes this.
  13. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

amazing80 likes this.
  14. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

9.6 Million seems fair for him. He is no spring chicken and has regressed some the last 2 years. I think he is being paid quite fair.

Texas Jake and PapaL like this.
  15. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

What price range would you put him in? I certainly would not put him in the $12+ range. He looks to be in the right group based on age/performance.

Texas Jake, Wolf6151 and amazing80 like this.
  16. infantrycak

I2-13 sounds about right.

I think he wants 2 things - the pay bump and security. An extension now at 31 and playing his career out all with the Texans is better than becoming a league hopper at 33. As long as he isn't being a dick asking to be highest paid or something, I have no problem with him asking to move negotiations up 1 year.

17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

With the state of the OL I hope he wrings every last $$$$$ he possibly can get out of the Texans org. Should've used the draft and/or FA to fix the OL this offseason. Bob/Ricky McNair have to pay DB since he's the best OL on the team and they spent their 1st and 2nd rd picks on the QB position in the upcoming 2018 draft. Dont give DB what he's asking for and Watson has a chance to become HWNSNBM all over again.

Those chickens are starting to come home to roost.

Double Barrel and 76Texan like this.
  18. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

A patellar tendon repair in a large player will demonstrate a regression of performance in the year of return..........and typically a significant "degeneration" of performance after that. There should be a guarded approach to any contract extension, let alone a long-term extension. Brown should feel fortunate to be granted a "guarantee" of this year's salary as it now stands.

Texas Jake, ROO, PapaL and 1 other person like this.
  19. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Value vs Need concerning this years draft and Tackles:

After Cunningham, pick 2/57, the next OT taken was Antonio Garcia at 3/85. The OT taken before Garcia was Cam Robinson at 2/34. After Garcia it was David Sharpe 4/129 and our Julién Davenport 4/130. As of the draft, I would not trade Cunningham's potential for Garcia just because Garcia plays OT.

FA:
    http://www.nfl.com/freeagency#tab=rankings

Andrew Whitworth, 35; 3 years $36M (LT)
    Riley Reiff, 28, 5 year, $58.75M (LT)
    Ricky Wagner, 27, 5 year, $47.5M (RT)
    Matt Kalil, 28, 5 year, $55.5M (LT)
    Kelvin Beachum, 28, 3 year, $24M (LT)
    Ryan Clady, 30, FA, (LT)
    Mike Remmers, 28, 5 year, $30M (RT)

Which one of these guys would have solidified the OL for us? The often injured ones, the more mileage that our guy, or Antonio Garcia/David Sharpe? I'm not seeing the solution you're seeing.

Texas Jake and dream_team like this.
  20. Hervoyel

Hervoyel BUENO!

This is so true and if you look at his salary and the point in his career that he's at you can see why he really needs to be adjusted now and particularly not in 2 years. He's at an age where if the Texans tried to make him play out his current salary he'd be staring down the barrel of them drafting his replacement instead of paying him and he'd have a hard time finding that money elsewhere at 33 years old and 12 years in the league. None of us know how many more years he plans on playing but I think they need to work out a deal with him to get him payed this year with next year depending on him finishing this year healthy. That leads into the third year where he's probably going to be being pushed by and/or mentoring his replacement.

We need him and we need to pay him but also like DB pointed out nobody worries about an older OT missing preseason practices early in camp. That's almost a bonus at his age.

Also totally right on the numbers too. 12-13 million sounds perfect. Get him one last contract extension to get him to 12 years and see where we are there. I bet he's done by that time and is ready to hang them up.

Double Barrel and 76Texan like this.