Duane Brown got owned by Freeny.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf6151, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I know it's been mentioned in other threads but I thought Brown earned his own thread of shame tonight. Brown was slow/rusty thus giving up the sacks and pressures on Schaub and causing Schaub to get a case of the pocket jitters. It even looked like Schaub was feeling pressure on a few plays when there was none. Also why when it was obvious to everyone watching the game that he was getting owned didn't the Texans put a TE on the left side to help out with Freeny or tell Foster to concentrate on helping out with Freeny. Brown was bad but he got no help when it was obvious that he needed it. Terrible lack of coaching adjustments.

RTP2110 likes this.
  2. Mr. Texan

Mr. Texan I'm A Texan

looked like a matador out there

3. Dishman

Dishman Miss Ya Blue

Brown owned by Freeney all night long and the coaching staff just let it happen. Maybe it's the sour taste in my mouth talking, but this teams weakest point is it's coaching staff. All this young, highly drafted talent over the years and squat to show for it.

4. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

Well the poor guy hadn't played in 4 weeks. He needed help.

5. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

Yea, help from a coaching staff...wait, I take that back, that's asking too much from the guys with the headsets.

6. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

I knew it was a bad idea to start Brown against the Colts. Should've kept Butler in there for this game.

7. texansdrummer

texansdrummer Hall of Fame

It was a bad time to get back into the groove of things. Butler was doing fine. Arian Foster was running against Indy just as fine. We somehow became our own worst enemy and changed some critical things that allowed us to beat the Colts earlier this season. It's not a good time to experiment when we are facing the Colts. We should have come out running until they could stop us....and if Brown started, Butler should have been subbed in sooner rather than later.

8. The Cush

The Cush All Pro

Here's what I don't understand. You look at tape and clips they show of Mario, he's being double teamed/chipped in 90% of them. He's just that type of player, as is Freeney as is Mathis but the coaches didn't call for any doubles or chipping on them until we were down by 17 points in the second half! I mean, is Kubiak and co. that dense? Duane Brown hadn't played a game snap in a month and you leave him 1 on 1? We have one of the top rushing attacks vs a diminutive defense and two superior pass rushing ends that are a WHOLE lot less effective against the run and we only rush 8 times in the 1st half?! I think i answered my own question

9. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Even the talking heads on ESPN commented that Brown should get some help against Freeny. Why not put a TE on the left side to chip him or double team him, why not tell Foster to pay special attention to Freeny and help out. Why not take Brown out and put Butler in the game, Butler is a better pass blocker.

10. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

See, I understand a 300+-lb. guy getting beaten by the speed rush. Freeney is one of the best in the biz, and he's light and agile. He's essentially a LB playing DE. But for that same LB to bull rush Brown into the QB, repeatedly, is just pathetic.

In his defense, the game plan should have called to run right at Freeney every play and make sure Freeney was buried on every play. By the second half, he'd be so worn out he wouldn't be bull rushing anyone.

11. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

Freeny was even laughing about how Brown got no help on him. He couldn't believe that there was no one there at least chipping him.

12. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

Mario was left one on one with the tackle a LOT last night and did NOTHING..

13. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Because that's what good coaches do against guys like Freeny, Mario and Ware. They recognize the mismatch and adjust. We don't have any of that on our team.

14. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Amen.

15. toronto

toronto Hall of Fame

Freeney is just a frigging freak. His spin move in the first quarter was insane good. I'm not a Texan fan, but as a 32 year student of the game that still is amazed at what I see, I was stunned to see the Texans not gash away at the Colts. Why weren't more screen passes thrown at Freeney's side early as well? Going blow for blow with the best QB in the NFL (god I hate saying that) is just flat out stupid. It was almost as if Kubiak really believed he could beat Manning at his own game, which IIRC has been a busto strategy for 10 years+

As I saw elsewhere on this board, everything that worked for Houston in week one wasn't employed, and minus Ryans, the personnel hadn't changed, except the venue, and the fact that the Colts were facing more injuries. Last night looked like a coaching disaster.

16. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

You missed one important thing, the Colts needed a win. It was like taking candy from a kid.

17. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Freeney bought Duane Brown. He has the receipt. If I were DB I would've sat myself down after that first spin move. That was Houdini-ish, now you see me, now I'm sacking your QB....

18. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

It was ugly.

Bad ugly.

I was thinking "Man, we've been waiting four weeks for THIS?"

I'd have put a tight end over there. Shoot, I'd have put Butler in as a tight end on that side.

19. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Just from memory, the only Texans left tackle that I've seen that received consistent tight end support or chipping from a running back was Chester Pitts. Through two head coaches and multiple defensive coordinators, this has remained constant against Freeny or anyone else.

I'm sure there have been pockets of help, but the Texans overall game plans seem to have the LT go mano a mano.

Strange over so long a period of time.

20. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

The ghost of Tony Boselli haunts us to this day.