Duane Brown: “I’d absolutely love to stay in Houston”

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jun 12, 2012.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

That's great........because he's going to be here........even if it takes a tag, which I hope doesn't happen.

2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

IMO, Brown is most significant FA to re-sign. I think the money set aside for Mario & other adjustments (AJ) can be used to lock him in. I would not want to negotiate with his agent after a 2012 that looked like 2011 and him being aware other teams will be interested. I think the franchise tag is definitely an option though I hope we don't need it.

3. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

He's gonna blow up this year. We got to find a way to lock him down long term. He's awesome, one of my favorite Texans.

4. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

And we absolutely want to keep you in town, Duane! :jogger:

Always interesting to watch when/(if) a player becomes a "pro", putting in the work necessary to best the best. Still kinda surprises me that talent only takes you so far.

5. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Duane Brown is the best lineman we've ever had on this team. Apologies to the Chris Myers Fan Club, but that's just the way it is.

6. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

Though I agree with you, 610 had a lot of people thinking Eric Winston
    was the best lineman on this team.

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I think you have to differentiate time periods on that. Winston jumped in with a much more smooth NFL transition and then plateaued. Brown struggled more early but has progressed much more. Most of the comments I have heard have reflected those trends.

8. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

What a coincidence Mr. Brown I would love to have you here as well.

9. JimBaker488

JimBaker488 Veteran

“I’d absolutely love to stay in Houston” (if they offer me more money than anybody else does)

10. Vinnie

Vinnie with an I E

I'd absolutely love for him to stay too, and I think the cap casulties this offseason would indicate the Texans would love him to stay as well.

11. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

They kind of did. Lol! I agree

12. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

We need to re-sign Brown. I have no problem with the Texans paying him top dog money. LT is a position worth doing that for. Brown has become a very good LT for us, and the Texans don't want that to become a need again any time soon. This is good to hear at least.

13. GP

GP Go Texans!

Brandon Brooks is the Texans' escape plan if Duane Brown asks for Over The Moon money.

Brooks is big, agile, and will have played here long enough to be veteran enough to handle LT if it comes down to it.

They're determined to not get caught flat-footed again (i.e. Mario Williams leaving). So they drafted Mercilus as a contingency for Barwin, Crick as contingency for Antonio Smith, and Brooks as contingency for Duane Brown.

Sounds plausible, don't it???:stirpot:

14. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

This off-season is the perfect time to re-sign Brown. You don't want to go into next off-season with your starting QB, LT, and OLB (who hopefully will have racked up another double digit sack campaign) hitting the open market. I can understand not re-signing Schaub and Barwin right now because you want to make sure one is healthy, and the other can have 2 back to back productive seasons. You kind of know what you have with Brown now. Like a few others have said on here, he's only going to get more expensive if he has a monster Pro-Bowl quality year. Re-sign him so we don't have to worry about that position in the first round of the draft for at least the next 5-8 years.

15. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

You know, that's what I think I heard too.
    :thinking:

16. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Nope. The contingency for Brown is the franchise tag. Brooks was not drafted to play LT, and isn't playing the position. Brown will be on the Texans 2013 roster, one way or another.

17. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Brown has come a long way since he was drafted by the Texans in the 1st round. I remember a lot of people on this board were not happy when we picked him and not happy with his 1st year results. His hard work :kingkong: is paying off not only for him but the team too, and a few Pro Bowls and some :trophy: would look very good on his resume! :shades: The Texans need to sign him and keep him here long term!

18. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Agree. I imagine the deal getting done in the same manner Arian's did. (No diva antics.)

19. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Sounds to me like Brooks is presently trying to escape the wrong side of 350, atleast that's what it sounds like the HC is saying ?

20. ckhouston

ckhouston Hall of Fame

The key is to get a deal done before the season ends and not have him franchise tagged and not allow him to get to free agancy. Although I dont disagree with lettting Mario walk, this is not the same situation. Brown plays one of the most important positions in the game. Lock him up during the season.