Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dual Backs

THEFUTURE

Rookie
"The Texans might be in the market for another back in the offseason. They like Domanick Davis, but they would like to have another back to help lesson the load on him. Coach Dom Capers made it a point this week to note that three of the four teams left playing use more than one back. The Steelers have Duce Staley and Jerome Bettis, the Patriots use Corey Dillon and Kevin Faulk and the Falcons have Warrick Dunn and T.J. Duckett. "You need to have two nowadays," Capers said. Look for the Texans to look hard at the backs in this year's draft. The Texans are also hopeful pass-catching tight end Bennie Joppru can play in 2005. He has missed his first two seasons with injuries, including an abdominal problem where the muscle came off the bone. Joppru would give the Texans a threat in the middle of the field in the passing game to go with their good receiving group. "

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8118337/2

this may have already been posted, but i dont know. So does this mean the Texans are giving up on Hollings and Wells?

I agree with Capers, you do need 2 backs and I think we have it in Davis and Wells. Wells impressed me this year and he is still improving. Personally I think the "Hollings Experiment" was a complete failure. As for Joppru, I think if he's not able to go full speed in off season conditioning practices then cut him and go after Franks in FA.

methinks the Dominator is getting people used to the idea of a Davis/Jacobs tandem for the next few seasons

i would look for the texans to go for a big, power back, like duckett is for dunn...someone who can just run over a few defenders after DD runs around em for his 100 yards per game

That kid from Louisville seems like a very good fit. Reminds me of Morris and Peagram.

The kid from Louisville, what round do you think we would pick him up in? I'd say if there's a decent back availible in the 3rd round grab him and cut Hollings

Eric Shelton, Louisville kid or Jacobs, Southern Illionis are more than a little likely the Texans target with one of the 3rd round picks.

also, is morran norris/ jarrod baxter going to be picked up, or will we only resign one, and let one go... i like baxter, but he has been injured a lot, while morris is a very good run blocker, i dont think he carries the ball as well as baxter

"the hollings experiment" is a total failure?

you dont think its a little early to call it that? the guy played 4 games in college as a runningback.....what did you expect? and he spent a good portion of this season with an injury.

the flaw with hollings is he's not a bruiser.

to consider his performance thusfar a failure is premature i think. he's shown the potential.

that being said, i can see the texans drafting a bruiser early (especially with the bpa draft method the texans use)...wich means wells or baxter will probably not be on the team next season.

Odds are only one is going to be a Texan, and it'll probaly be Norris as he is the much better blocker. And with the proposed two back the number of carries for the FB will decrease even further.

Jacobs is 6'5" 260lbs and runs a 4.5-4.6
when Capers talks about bruisers in the steelers mold, it sounds like he is thinking about this guy
remember when he carried the ball for auburn he led the team in YPC

such small reception samples it is difficult to judge
Jacobs 8 for 83 w/ long of 27 (7 for 56)
Shelton 6 for 35 w/ long of 11 (5 for 24)

Shelton just seems to be a notch or two down on the bruiser scale

don't forget that the little fella (arkee w) started for the Salukis, so Jacobs is used to the roll of a dualback system

I would rather have the other guy from louisville than shelton (he's only a junior)

" spent his senior campaign playing quarterback after seeing action at running back, wide receiver, defensive back, linebacker and defensive end over his career ... the nation's top rated safety and 6th-overall prospect by ESPN's Tom Lemming ... the nation's 12th-ranked prospect by CollegeFootballNews.com ... the nation's 26th-ranked prospect by The Sporting News ... a four-star prospect by both TheInsiders.com and Rivals.com ... rated the nation's 14th overall prospect by TheInsiders.com ... rated by Rivals.com as the nation's 25th-ranked overall player and the second-ranked athlete ... named Kentucky's Mr. Football as a senior after leading Male to a 14-1 record and an appearance in the state title game ... "

now that, gentlemen, is a football player

I don't know when i heard this but lamont jordan? i don't i think he's a free agent or something... don't kill me if i'm wrong i didn't look it up

Hoth-Boy said:
Odds are only one is going to be a Texan, and it'll probaly be Norris as he is the much better blocker. And with the proposed two back the number of carries for the FB will decrease even further.
I am sure the Texans will have a backup fullback next year. Right now it looks like Norris and Baxter will be the guys, but they may decide to pick up a better blocker thru free agency.

what happened to Tim Gale?
he looked like the kind of dual threat fullback that could fit into our offense

Think Capers will feature 2 backs? Wells played very good last year but
saw limited action, even when he was putting up better no's early on
than DD--Capers promised more Hollings when he was healthy but failed
on this promised too. Capers is becoming one of the best coaches at saying
what the fans want to hear, but those statements/promises have not
made their way to the field. While other teams seek innovation in their
schemes, the Texans are satisfied knowing 'what' they should do but are
content with lip service. Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky next year and
everything will fall magically into place...then,again, maybe not :yap

maybe they are hinting at a first round RB... get it... R.B.
I don't think that he will last through twelve slots, though
the only thing that scares me is that his favorite team is SanFran and he's from Cartersville, Georgia
as Mr. Elliot would say, "What kinda town is this?"

Dont want Henry. he puts self before team.

Yes Dom did promise to put Hollings in more when he was healthy.. and if he had ever been healthy that may have happened. Hollings isnt a bruiser, he is a bruisee. he was supposed to play in like week 11.. but he got a peice of dirt in his eye in the parking lot and had to sit out for the rest of the season. Ya I know.. that is harsh.. and I cant talk cause if I was a pro football player right now id probably survive for about 2 downs before I had to be taken to the hospital.. but that is the benefit of being an armchair GM :).

I think a big back in the draft is a very good possibility.. Shelton looks promising in the 3rd. Heck.. id like to see Shelton and Wells.. that would be very similar to the setup in pittsburgh right now.. just with two guys who dont have near the experience or proven talent of Bettis and Staley. Still.. Davis and a workhorse would be a great combo for us.

Joppru's injuries have been well documented and severe.. so I still have faith that he will be coming back. If he had nagging injuries like turf toe.. hammys.. torn muscles.. that would worry me that he was injury prone. but since his stuff has been so major.. my only concern is that one of these problems will end his career before it starts.. not that it will be a nagging problem for the rest of his time as a Texan. Heres hoping he is fully recovered and ready to start in 2005.

Lamont... I dont see us getting him. I think he will stay in NY.. unless someone gives him alot of money (watch the Dolphins, Raiders, and Colts if edge leaves). I think if the Jets pay him starter money.. he will stay and wait for Martin to retire. Otherwise.. i look for someone with a greater need to outbid us.

Honestly I see no RBs in FA this year that we are likely to get. they are either not in our price range, or not good enough to replace Wells or Davis.

i see us bolstering through the draft, its cheaper and it isn't a top proirity. They said how 3 of the 4 teams use 2 backs.

But look alittle closer,

Bettis was only in goalline situations and short yardage (2 yards or less) Until Staley went down.

Faulk gets no carries behind dillon, he only had 54 carries all season. that averages to under 3.5 carries a game, and remember there was 1 full game that Dillon didn't play.

The Falcons are the only team that truly depends on their second back even when there are no injury concerns. Dunn and Duckett both carried the ball over 100 times each.

So i see where Capers is coming from with what he says, and Davis including college hasn't been the most durable back, but just because this is some of the first specific information we have gotten on where we are going to try and improve the team, doesn't mean it will be a drastic improvement (as in a first round pick or big time free agent.)

Eckel is one of my favorite players in the game
can someone explain exactly how his Navy commitment works
it seems like I have heard that he has to give them at least a few years
he would be the next Alstott

from draftcountdown: Has a five-year commitment to the Navy following graduation but may have to only serve two followed by six-years in the reserves...

preseason preview from collegefootballnews: At 240 pounds he's a powerful back who doesn't wear down. There are few backs able to gain positive yards more consistently and still come back looking to dish out more punishment. Eckel carried the ball 236 times this year and lost yardage on just three of those carries, all of which were one-yard losses.

from hamptonroads/pilotonline: “You know how most backs get through the line and see a defensive back coming up and they veer away from them? Well, Kyle veers right for them,” Navy head coach Paul Johnson said. “He’s kind of a throwback to a different era.”...

I hope BigGeorge tells littlegeorge to get Secretary England to defer Kyle's commitment or get cut off from granddaddy prescott's money for good

I've heard from a Seattle Seahawks fan that Houston would be interested in Shaun Alexander. Does anyone here think that this would be possible and probable? Would we really need a guy like Alexander? I know he placed 2nd in rushing yards, but he's certainly not a pass blocker. I would love to hear y'alls opinions. :shocked

Don't forget Charlie Anderson. I think that is his name. :shrug: I thought he did fairly well in the preseason. If he doesn't get hurt, then we might not have kept Wells.

On a sidenote: If Wells signs with another team like Denver, then he might end up doing quite well. IMHO

astrofan said:
Eckel is one of my favorite players in the game
can someone explain exactly how his Navy commitment works
it seems like I have heard that he has to give them at least a few years
he would be the next Alstott

from draftcountdown: Has a five-year commitment to the Navy following graduation but may have to only serve two followed by six-years in the reserves...

Astrofan...draftcountdown is pretty close on the service commitment. Basically Eckel has to apply to the Department of the Navy for an exception to policy based on the possiblity of recieveing a pro contract. If he is granted the exception it could go with the 2 yrs active/6yrs reserve (ala David Robinson of Spurs fame) or there is a much slimmer possibility of waiving all of the active duty requirement in lieu of reserve duty.

I'm not positive but I thought Eckel came out as saying he wanted to serve at least some of his active duty time.

First of all, I think I have made it pretty well known that I am on the Let's Draft Eric Shelton Campaign. I really like what I have seen from this kid going back to the Miami game. I think if we do draft a running back like him it wouldn't hurt. Reason being is because, say Wells still stays with us, Wells provides very good special teams and a much improved decent back up to any of the other two (get rid of Hollings).

Or we draft a RB, Wells gets ticked because he thinks he is never going to have a chance to start and signs elsewhere. Well now you got DD, Tony Hollings, and the bruiser you drafted to come in for either of the two and this may enable you to keep two fullbacks.

i can almost gurantee that we dont spend any big bucks or picks on a RB. Considering our RB is not the problem, we had a decent running game this season, and we have bigger problems to worry about, and i think wells makes a good back up, he was running hard when he was in the games !

Back