Drumk Epitome about the QB situation

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by JB, Jul 2, 2017.

1. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Wherever I was, I was more than likely drunk
    It's the off-season, I'm bored and wanting to get drumk like I was when I had this epitome of out qb situation. Think i'm gonna do

this TK style if I have the patience. It's too long, but it was a fascinating conversation with myself.

BOB was hired before 2014 with the understanding that he would have his choice of qb's. He decides Fitz is his best option as a

veteran backup. Fitz is a smart guy and while nothing special, ain't gonna lose you many games with a decent roster around him.

2014 draft approaches:
    Bob comments: " I think that young kid from S. Carolina would be a no-brainer selection at 1-1. He's the best player in the draft".

(Williams wasn't near as terrible as Carr so this is probably a safe pick.)

During pre draft meetings both RS and BOB understand that pleasing the boss is a good thing and that with the top selections in both

rounds 2 & 3, Bill can certainly get his choice of either Bridewater or Garropolo. Clowney is obviously the choice to make.

Dang, out of nowhere Minnesota trades up into the bottom of the first and selects Bridgewater at #32. NO ONE saw that coming.

BOB: "Damn! At least we can still get Jimmy G. Do it Rick!"
    RS: "We can do it Bob but he will still be there at #65 and X-man has fallen and is still available. You know guard is a need and we

had him rated really high, he's the best available guard.

Bob (new guy trying to believe) " Ok Rick, just get me JG at #65.

NE trades up to #62 and take Garropolo

RS: "Damn, that wasn't supposed to happen! You said there was lots close Bob, we'll get one of the others later to develop and wait

until next year"
    `````
    Thomas gets taken at #120 after RS takes another fallen star in Nix, moving up to do so. Savage is the only QB left but Bob takes him

knowing it's gonna take a few years. We're stuck with Fitz for the year.

2015, two quality QB's in the draft that go 1&2

Bob: Well get me Hoyer. Mallet too if cheap we'll have some competition and mentoring for Savage.

RS happy to do this with a breath of relief. Neither will be expensive.

Not a great season but made the playoffs somehow. But all agree the season was a disaster, summed up in the brutal playoff game at home no less.

Knowing that BOB has stated a strong desire that he wants the QB situation fixed, RS and Bob know that something has to be done. With the 2 decent QB's going very high and the 3rd QB rated high similar to Savage hopes not high for the draft

Rick: Bob, we have to do something or we'll both lose our jobs.
    Bob: Nothing you've promised has come to pass so... what are you suggesting?
    Rick: I think I can get the top FA QB, that both Elway and Kubiak are high on. He's got an arm and he's smart.
    Bob: I don't know the kid but ok.

We all know what happened next.

BOB: GET ME A DAMN QUARTERBACK IN HERE!

KC traded up for Mahomes, to RS's delight ( because the boss likes Clemson also ). We take no chances but move up for Watson.

Scooter, Flyingfish, ROO and 2 others like this.
  2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

A few things....

What do you mean "Williams wasn't as bad as Carr"

Who is Williams?

And they'd have had to be really dumb is they didn't think someone trading up to get Bridgewater wasn't an option Or they weren't sold on him being the guy.

Also, your timeline is fuzzy with the Mallett thing. Mallett was here his first year. He was traded for kind of late but got a chance against the Browns. He played well, not so much the next game. The excuse given was the pectoral injury from him lifting weights.

In the off season they got rid of Fitz and brought in Hoyer. Hoyer was the guy he wanted and he got rid of Fitz to get him.

From there yeah...Hoyer stunk when it counted most, Os was brought in, he stunk...

So here we are.

ROO and DocBar like this.
  3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Williams is Mario who was a much better 1-1 than Carr

yeah my timeline a bit fuzzy, but the whole post is. My point was that Mallett/Hoyer competition defined the 2015 season, and that's sad

It is a drumk epitome after all... and I'm old almost like Obi and Thorn.

I'd say memory sucked if I had any

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    ROO, DocBar and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Y'know, I'm not really a big drinker.

Scooter, PapaL and ROO like this.
  5. TheKDog

TheKDog All Pro

I don't see where this conspiracy of Rick Smith screwing O'Brien comes from. Rick Smith just says yes to whatever.

santo and thunderkyss like this.
  6. banned1976

banned1976 American

It would seem odd to me if a then 8 year NFL GM would be saying "yes" to a first year NFL Head Coach. Especially considering the owner and his son have such a good relationship with said GM.

If RS is as you infer just a yes man for the HC why even have a GM? All the negative comments (such as BoB screwed up the o-line when he decided not to retain Brooks and Jones) you've made about O'Brien comes across, to me anyway as RS isn't doing his job either. Do you think both should be fired?

BTW, I don't think there's a conspiracy at all. I think both men are trying to build a championship caliber team, they're just not there yet in large portion to Osweiler and every QB brought in pretty much since the franchise began (minus a few good years from pick six, injury riddled Matt Schaub).

Insideop and Texas Jake like this.
  7. TheKDog

TheKDog All Pro

That's how the Texans are set up. The coaches make the decisions on who they want. Kubiak and Wade chose their guys, now Obrien and Crennel choose theirs.

Rick Smith adds his opinions, but ultimately defers to the coach. O'Brien said Rick never gets a guy they don't want.

Why would Rick want more control? His job is safer this way, McNair won't fire him for just doing his role.

And no I'm not a fan of Rick, I'd prefer we start with a new GM and head coach.

thunderkyss likes this.
  8. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

Did you see the movie Draft Day. I see RS as this type of GM.

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

You're joking right? There is absolutely no indication RS is the ultimate power GM "f'k you HC, coach the players I give you."

Insideop and TheKDog like this.
  10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I didn't intend this as a RS bashing thread... just how I think things have gone down. I think RS was able to convince OB that he could get his guy later and then it didn't work in the '14 draft and things have gone downhill from there largely due to circumstance

11. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Sorry TK, I didn't mean to imply that. I just like the way you do the maybe conversations

thunderkyss likes this.
  12. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Epiphany?

13. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

yeah that too

ROO and bah007 like this.
  14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I'd prefer a GM who picks his head coach. A GM with the guiding vision of the direction he wants the team to go & puts the people in place to get us there.

But... this is what we got & I hope for the best.

TheKDog likes this.
  15. banned1976

banned1976 American

I want to see what Watson has before that decision is made.

My prediction is that O'Brien will be exiting after his contract is up

& Rick Smith will be here until at least 2020.

McNair doesn't like throwing money out of the window.

16. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

I got a pretty good buzz going out here in Destin and as much **** as I talk I'm ready for the season.

I don't think Bob is our best option but he can change my mind. I don't think Smith is the best GM, but I appreciate him taking some risks and having a sense of urgency. We tried to coach up 2nd string vets, tried the 'splash' free agent. He had to pull the trigger in the draft. Only thing left. Catch lightning in a bottle and with this defense make a little noise. Strong run game. Talented wideouts. Hell yes I'm worried about the line, I'm just hoping training camp sorts it out. There has to be some dude out there better than Clark and Giacomini.

Defense? Top 3 easy, might be the best all year. Lots of nice players on that side of the ball.

I'm gonna throw down some more Yuengling and hope that Bob gets his **** together on offense this year.

Texas Jake and JB like this.
  17. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

Smith just doesn't know how to pick a QB. I'm sure Watson was his idea and Watson is going to be an epic failure due to that worst possible fault among NFL signal callers—inability to scan the coverage quickly and consequent staring down of intended receiver.

18. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I don't agree with this. I believe Watson was BOB's pick and I think RS approved. Before the Draft they brought in Mahomes for 2 days and then Watson for 2 days. I think that's when they made their final decision. Watson is BOB's guy all the way but I think RS is in lock step with him on the pick, and it must have been agreed on to move up in the Draft and go get him if there was a run on the QB's. If Watson fails it will be on BOB!

TheKDog likes this.
  19. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

Are you forgetting or ignoring that RS first saw Watson at the 2016 championship game and it was at that time became enamored with him. RS had his eye and attention on Watson since that game. OB may have come on board with the pick, but Watson is the QB RS has wanted since January of 2016.

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Something's wrong if our GM isn't at the NC game.

For all we know he created that story retro actively, after the selection was made.

I bet, had we selected Mahomes, Rick wouldn't have been talking about that game.

I mean, if he fell in love with Watson when he said he did, would he be on board with Osweiler at $32M guaranteed? Or would he be more likely to sell Savage as the answer for 2016?

ROO likes this.