Drinking, driving and ignoring NFL help

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Wolf, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I didn't know this. This is an article from 2010 after Braylon Edwards was arrested .
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=jackson/101001

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  2. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Hell, I dont even like leaving my pick-up overnight at a strip club. So you know what I do?? I take a cab to the strip club and eliminate that dilema altogether.

3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

The players' example excuses for not using the service such as when driving a $400,000 Bentley to a club is pure BS.

National Directory of Designated Driver Services

The drunk person is furnished a ride home with the paid driver either taking the drunk person home in the drunk person's own car........or the drunk person's car is driven home by a seperate paid driver. These driver services are available virtually all over the country. They are insured and bonded. No room for excuse for these players.

Here is an example of rates for one in Harris County (BeMYDD):

And here is BEMYDD's rates for Stillwater, Arkansas (Blackmon's watering hole):

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  4. CloakNNNdagger

Report: League’s Safe Rides program is no more

Notwithstanding the fact that the players should on their own act more responsibly, this is another example of how responsible the NFLPA is to their own membership.

5. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Interesting. Maybe I might attend the next company happy hour. Like I said, I haven't quit drinking, I just quit drinking and driving. :)

6. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Harris

BeMyDD -- 877-823-6933

DD4Hire -- 877-780-7384

Houston

BeMyDD -- 877-823-6933

Safe Ride Solutions -- 208-938-4500 (Membership)

7. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Why don't you just buy a strip club, Bill? :kitten:

8. CloakNNNdagger

Came across this article that explains the NFL's designated driver policy, when it was in force. It was the NFLPA that took it over from the NFL because of complaints by "certain" players........and it was the NFLPA that "adjusted/watered down" the program an ceased publicizing it to the membership and eventually ceased the program altogether under the auspices of non use.......It was not the NFL.

The original policy as you will read left no room for the excuse of the player not wanting to leave his expensive car in the parking lot.

The article was not accurate when stating players did not have private alternatives that met their needs (refer to my previous posts re. Pay For Designated Services located throughout the nation).

The NFLPA is as hypocrytical as the NFL in its facade of protecting their players. But the players remain the greatest hypocrits of all demanding protection for themselves by others while consciously ignoring their own safety and, more importantly, the safety of others.

9. 2012Champs

2012Champs Hall of Fame

Even if the program was still up and going I dont think you would see anything different. The players and many people are foolish enough to either think they can "handle" their alcohol or they dont want others to think they cant handle their alcohol.

10. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

That's the problem with our current law. It's OK to drink and drive in this country. As long as you are .08 or lower, the message has been that it's OK. So the judgment call of whether they're .08 or lower has been left to people that have been consuming a substance that impairs judgment. That's just brilliant all around. The law needs to be changed to zero tolerance. If you drink, it's illegal to drive. Simple, no subjectivity, and no guessing where you are on that scale.

11. 2012Champs

2012Champs Hall of Fame

Im not sure a zero tolerance is the answer at all. FWIW you can be arrested and convicted at a BAC under .08 if you are so impared that you can not safely opperate your motor vehicle. Most people that get DWI/DUIs I would guess are well over .08

12. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

There are a lot of things in life where zero tolerance doesn't make sense. Drinking and driving, on the other hand, leaves the judgment call to people that have been consuming a substance which impairs judgment.

13. 2012Champs

2012Champs Hall of Fame

Well I highly doubt the laws will change to 0.00 bac limit so maybe contructing something to address the issue that is a little more plausible could be of more benefit. Hell 6 monthm 1 year or 2 year manditory jail time for first offense, 2-4 year for second 10 + for 3rd etc. How about the nfl issue a one year suspension for 1st time, 3 years for 2nd time etc